Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Engineers and Royal Marines?

Discussion in 'General Archives' started by HamzyT, Feb 8, 2016.

1. HamzyT

HamzyT New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, I've been reading some forums deciding whats the best career path. Then was reading one forum and was told if I went into the royal engineers I would then at the end of that training have the chance to either attempt para troopers or RMC training? can anyone verify this and should it be correct would I be a engineer for the RMC or would I be a infantry soldier.

Thanks.

2. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

You could join 24 cdo where you would do AACC, you would be a engineer.

3. HamzyT

HamzyT New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I'd be a Royal Marine Commando but I'd be an Engineer not an infantry soldier? and would I complete 32-week pass out?

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
  4. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

No youd be a commando trained engineer, youd complete your engineering training then complete the 8 weeks all arms commando course.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. HamzyT

HamzyT New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ahh thats a shame, wanted to get a trade under my belt but I guess not! thanks for the help.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you join the Army, Royal Engineers or Royal Artillery personnel may sometimes get the chance tio undergo the 8/9 week All Arms Commando Course, which means they are an Army Commando employed within Brigade, but not a Royal Marine.

There are 27 trades in the Royal Marines - Assault Engineer being one of them.

Off on a slight tangent, but one thing amused me over on ARRSE was this enquiry by a guy joining the Royal Engineers, who wants to be a Commando and has lost 9 stone. Post #6 amused: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/any-advice-appreciated.250344/#post-6988085

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  7. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    It also depends highly on whether there is a demand for people...

Its not a case of you pass out, do your phase two & three, then on you go to AACC, there will likely be opportunities to apply for AACC if you are in RE or RA, RA I think is 29CDO at some point in your career, but I wouldn't dead set yourself on that happening one after the other bud...

It maybe a case of a few years with your unit, then the opportunity arises, I think you have to complete your initial 4 years service as well, I can't say that as a certainty though bud...

If you were to progress forward with an Army application these two links may be of use to you as it details plans for Army 2020

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Army2020_Report_v2.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/136406/regular_army_basing_plan.pdf

Good luck buddy

8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No. No. No. Had this argument so many times.

To become a Royal Marines Commando, you will need to join the Royal Marines. Simple.

If you want to be a glorified engineer that's Commando trained, but also very hard to get into as the turnover is low, then join the Army, and just pray you get a chance at some point in your career.

Don't listen to the bull the army tell you in the recruiting office. The reality of you getting All Arms Commando trained is slim. Sadly it's a big lie they keep rehashing and rewording. I get so annoyed and angry when I see their stupid videos online about being Army Commandos, and the poor blokes that believe it.

Now, I have worked with a few really decent lads that are AACC I can't fault them at all but I know a few, (more the para trained lads) that have an attitude, a chip on their shoulder and an ego problem.

You can achieve a lot in the Royal Marines with 27 SQ/trades to choose, if your into your engineering:

Assault Engineer
    Armourer
    Vehicle mechanic
    MetalSmith (a rare treat)

Not to mention the numerous other SQs to choose from.

You want that green lid? You take your stones in your hand and do it properly. Become a Royal Marines Commando.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HamzyT

HamzyT New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well you put it straight but you have a point, even if I did get my green lid that way it wouldn't be the same feeling, at least for me anyway as going through the 32 gruelling weeks like the rest of yous did. I'll just hold off for now.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Should probably clear up that I am not knocking what people have earnt. We are all cogs in the machine. I couldn't care what cap badge you are under, just if you do the job well. Don't get me wrong AACC is not a picnic and I have worked with both good and bad lads that have done it.

I Just don't like how the Army use what is essentially a lie as a recruiting tool. Taking impressionable people and manipulating them. Young people that might not know any better.

It's your personal goal, if you want to become a Royal Marines Commando then you knuckle down and smash it.

If you want to be in the RLC, or the Army or whatever then you knuckle down and smash it.

We all have different ideas and limits in life, but nothing comes for free. You have to aim high and work hard. And no one can do that hard work for you.

But remember, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ah, yes... this has been going on since before the Battle of Agincourt. It's called recruitment. :) In any other job it would result in group legal actions for 'passing off' and misleading people into engaging in adverse contractual obligations. The snag is that it is theoretically possible but maybe statistically improbable that someone who wants to serve in Commando or Airborne Forces will do so by taking an indirect route via RA, REME or RE.

The onus has always been on the individual potential Recruit to be 'switched on' enough to question his Careers Advisor. If, say, an Army CA implies that one could do AACC or Para courses to get into such billets it might be wise to perhaps ask:

1. How many people from the unit I'm considering apply annually for such courses?
    2. How many of those who apply actually attend AACC or Para courses?
    3. How many of those who successfully complete such courses get employed in an appropriate billet?

Personally, I think that one should simply decide what one fundamentally wants rather than believing that a service career is a 'pick and mix' free-for-all.
    Put simply: prioritize whether one wants primarily to be a Commando, Para, Engineer or Gun Bunny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

I would add that the idea that you complete just the AACC to get you green lid is a myth as well...try more like 24 weeks , as the do a pre , pre beat up course then the pre course and then the actual AACC..so a lot longer process than you might believe

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  13. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

Took me 6 years to get a draft to a cdo unit and then another year or so for a chance at AACC. That unit was one that was often short of Army 'volunteers'. The manning system works in strange ways.