Royal Irish Regiment

Bear4236

Reaction score
Posting just to find out a bit more info I’ve read all the previous threads about Royal Irish and they would be my 2nd choice. It’s a close call between RM and them at the moment, only recently considered them as most of my family through the years have served there and did a bit of research! One thing I can’t seem to find any info on is the training, what does it involve? What physical tests have to be passed in order to start RT? If anyone knows or can link me to something please do! And also is there anyone here who served there or knows anyone who has? Just to get an idea of what they’re up to now, I know their history but are they still getting stuck in now? Cheers

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Have a look at the Army web site. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/24000.aspx All the info regarding entry requirements and training are there.

As to what they're up to nowadays, I haven't a clue, but with no major conflicts going on at the moment, I would hazard a guess and say, not a lot!

Alan

Rover

Reaction score
Units from the Irish Armed Forces are very active serving overseas. You will find them supporting UN Peacekeeping deployments.

Two that come to mind being Mali and the Lebanon.

Not forgetting their time in the Congo.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Units from the Irish Armed Forces are very active serving overseas. You will find them supporting UN Peacekeeping deployments.

Two that come to mind being Mali and the Lebanon.

Not forgetting their time in the Congo.

Isn't the Royal Irish a British Army unit and not Irish Armed Forces or am I mistaken?