Royal Irish Regiment

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Just applied for the British Army Infantry The Royal Irish Regiment yesterday on the online application form on the British Army website how long will it take for them to get back to me also how long does the application process take and whats the next step after this? Cheers.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Royal Marines site fella, just be patient with it!

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Why the Royal Irish? Isn't the King's Regiment the local Regiment to Liverpool?
In any case I think it's similar to the RM, you'll go have a chat and that, they might put you on what I went on, it's like an RMAD, then you'll get your first interview, then medical/eye test, then your second interview then selection, assuming you pass with a decent grade you shouldn't be waiting too long for a date for basic.
don't take this as gospel it's just from what I remember, Ninja or someone will probably be able to verify, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Why the Royal Irish? Isn't the King's Regiment the local Regiment to Liverpool?
In any case I think it's similar to the RM, you'll go have a chat and that, they might put you on what I went on, it's like an RMAD, then you'll get your first interview, then medical/eye test, then your second interview then selection, assuming you pass with a decent grade you shouldn't be waiting too long for a date for basic.
don't take this as gospel it's just from what I remember, Ninja or someone will probably be able to verify, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

The Royal Irish recruits plenty of scousers I know loads of soldiers from the Merseyside area in the Royal Irish also Liverpool has a great connection with Belfast. The Kings Regiment is in Warrington which will be made up of Mancs so no chance! hahahahaha. Thanks for the info mate.

alex18

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When you do get to the careers office you will have an 'Initial Interview'. In this the recruiter will ask you basic questions about who you are, why you want to join and what job you want to do.

After this you will be asked to come back in about a week to take the BARB (British Army Recruit Battery) test and basic literacy and numeracy tests. They are all done on a touch screen and are pretty simple. The BARB questions are things like, "Fred is faster than John. Who is slower?”

You will then be asked to give three 'options' that you wish to do. These can literally be anything. If you choose infantry or armoured then you need to give three regiments. I'll give a few examples to make it more clear:
1) Infantryman, Royal Irish Regiment
2) Infantryman, Irish Guards
3) Infantryman, Royal Regiment of Scotland

1) Light Gunner, Royal Artillery
2) General Fitter, Royal Engineers
3) Tank Crewman, The Queen's Royal Hussars

Later on in the process you will be asked to confirm which of these you actually want to do, but at this stage you can give yourself the various options.

You are then be given a shed load of paperwork to complete. Part of this paperwork generally includes an optician’s sheet. For this you just need to book an appointment with an optician and get them to fill in the form.

Next you will be asked to attend one of the Army Development and Selection Centres (ADSC). This is where you have a full medical, do all the fitness tests and have an interview. In this interview you will confirm what job you want to do (provided you have met the requirements).

After passing the ADSC you will take the oath and be given a date to being basic training.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Regiment

I was thinking of a regiment no longer in existence :eek:h:

And that's certainly more detailed and accurate than my info haha, forgot all about the old BARB test, when my recruiter saw my score he couldn't understand why I wanted to join the infantry and not go for REME or something.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Regiment

I was thinking of a regiment no longer in existence :eek:h:

And that's certainly more detailed and accurate than my info haha, forgot all about the old BARB test, when my recruiter saw my score he couldn't understand why I wanted to join the infantry and not go for REME or something.

Does the BARB test give you differant job roles you can do depending on your score?

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it does, I wouldn't worry though it's just like an extremely simple IQ test, I got full marks I think

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Nice one lads, when do you take the BARB test because I never went the careers office I done the online application form on the British Army site?

alex18

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one lads, when do you take the BARB test because I never went the careers office I done the online application form on the British Army site?
In a few days you will get a phone call or an E-mail asking you to pop down to the careers office. When you are at the office you will book your BARB. Usually it'll be the next week.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
In a few days you will get a phone call or an E-mail asking you to pop down to the careers office. When you are at the office you will book your BARB. Usually it'll be the next week.

Thanks mate appreciated.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
When you do get to the careers office you will have an 'Initial Interview'. In this the recruiter will ask you basic questions about who you are, why you want to join and what job you want to do.

After this you will be asked to come back in about a week to take the BARB (British Army Recruit Battery) test and basic literacy and numeracy tests. They are all done on a touch screen and are pretty simple. The BARB questions are things like, "Fred is faster than John. Who is slower??

You will then be asked to give three 'options' that you wish to do. These can literally be anything. If you choose infantry or armoured then you need to give three regiments. I'll give a few examples to make it more clear:
1) Infantryman, Royal Irish Regiment
2) Infantryman, Irish Guards
3) Infantryman, Royal Regiment of Scotland

1) Light Gunner, Royal Artillery
2) General Fitter, Royal Engineers
3) Tank Crewman, The Queen's Royal Hussars

Later on in the process you will be asked to confirm which of these you actually want to do, but at this stage you can give yourself the various options.

You are then be given a shed load of paperwork to complete. Part of this paperwork generally includes an optician?s sheet. For this you just need to book an appointment with an optician and get them to fill in the form.

Next you will be asked to attend one of the Army Development and Selection Centres (ADSC). This is where you have a full medical, do all the fitness tests and have an interview. In this interview you will confirm what job you want to do (provided you have met the requirements).

After passing the ADSC you will take the oath and be given a date to being basic training.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Nice one for this good info in great detail for what I was looking for thanks again mate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to call into your local AFCO, sooner rather than later to confirm eligibility if you've been advised you're not currently eligible to join the Royal Marines.

Cian

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey LiverpudlianLad95,

They are my second choice, and also a brilliant reg!

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Hey LiverpudlianLad95,

They are my second choice, and also a brilliant reg!

Hello mate do you know many scosuers in the reg? I sent my application off yesterday just waiting for them to get back to me is it a good idea being english an that?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting choice, good luck with your app. I know/knew 3 scousers in the reg, from back when I was a cadet. 2 are our age (17-odd) and 1 is an NCO now, he joined in about 2008 though. Couldn't put you in touch with them, I'm not even friends on facebook, but I've just heard their name mentioned by lads still in cadets.

You will find a lot of scousers and they may possibly even stick most of the scousers together in the same companies/sections like other regiments do to their 'outsiders'. E.g. 45 Cdo (obviously part of the corps, not a regiment) is quite heavy on Scots.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Interesting choice, good luck with your app. I know/knew 3 scousers in the reg, from back when I was a cadet. 2 are our age (17-odd) and 1 is an NCO now, he joined in about 2008 though. Couldn't put you in touch with them, I'm not even friends on facebook, but I've just heard their name mentioned by lads still in cadets.

You will find a lot of scousers and they may possibly even stick most of the scousers together in the same companies/sections like other regiments do to their 'outsiders'. E.g. 45 Cdo (obviously part of the corps, not a regiment) is quite heavy on Scots.

Nice one lad that's good then init. I was in the Irish Guards cadets in Crosby a few years back don't *text deleted**text deleted** join the guards thow id rather join the Royal Irish.

New Threads