Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Marine Cadets for leadership experience.

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by YellowBelly98, Aug 12, 2018.

1. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Morning all,

I just wanted to ask a question regarding the RM Cadets since I saw a similar (not related) thread earlier today. I have a couple of years to gain some additional leadership experience before I attempt to join the Marines as an Officer, and thought one of the ways would be through some form of cadets.

I tried to volunteer for the ACF, but since I won't be in the same location for more than a year (due to uni and living in London for a year for a work placement), the local units turned me down. So I've gone to the Sea Cadets to ask if I can join the RM Cadets as a volunteer, and just wanted the people on this forum's opinion, and if you think it's a good form of experience to take forward to the Marines.

I'm looking at a unit in London, it's probably not on the same scale as the ACF in terms of funding and numbers, but it's something.

Cheers guys!

2. AquaPara

AquaPara New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Having been in a C.C.F I would say that volunteering as an adult instructor is probably not the best way to gain valuable leadership experience. From memory most instructors just stand around all day doing very little.

If you're going to University why not join the University Officer Training Corps, although its geared to those preparing to go to Sandhurst i'm sure it works for Potential Royal Marine YO's. Alternatively you could join an Army Reserve unit near your Uni, being at the bottom of the pile for a few years might make you a better Officer in the long run as you've been in the shoes of the blokes your leading. Both are a good way of gaining leadership experience and basic soldiering skills to make those first few weeks slightly easier.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'd go along with either. The University Officer Cadet organisations (OTC, URNU or UAS) deliver the goods and help finance uni, but Cadet Forces Adult Volunteers (CFAV) offer a great deal of opportunity for leadership development, particularly if the unit you are attached to involves you organising logistical support and/or directing Duke of Edinburgh award schemes.

It's a case of getting more out of things by putting more in. Some cadet units can be a bit disorganised, particularly those without official recognition or affiliations, others can be light years ahead. Similarly some of the University Officer Cadet organisations can be worlds apart with regard offering a realistic insight into the military.

4. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thank you.

I'd love to join one of the OC Uni organisations, but due to 'asthma' on my record within the past 4 years (3 years ago), I'd be unable to join - I tried to join OTC just under a year ago but was declined.

However, I spoke to somebody from the URNU yesterday and he said that I could still join the URNU and fail the medical process, as in I probably wouldn't be allowed on ship etc. @Ninja_Stoker do you know anymore about this please? If that was the case, I'd 100% attempt URNU whilst I'm in London for my placement year.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I the asthma is not ongoing, as indicated, it's worth an ask at your local URNU.

Some units are under-subscribed & the OC is able to take a pragmatic approach as long as risks & expectations are managed. That isn't to say it's a definite "yes" to the URNU, but no reason not to at least make the enquiry next month.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Another option to consider is volunteering to assist with young people via your local council's children's services. Many run joint ventures with social services where youngsters with so-called challenging behaviour participate in out-of-school activities.

The necessary DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks often run concurrent with the volunteering.

One advantage over a military youth organisation is perhaps that the youngsters are sometimes non-compliant and have anti-authority attitudes. Arguably it can be a tougher environment to learn and develop leadership skills.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Absolutely, I have 'evidence' to show it doesn't impact me anymore, so hopefully that might be of some use. No harm in trying!

• Like Like x 1
  8. YellowBelly98

YellowBelly98 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'll take a look at some other local services in London, thank you!