Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Marine Commando School

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mogley09, May 24, 2018.

1. Mogley09

Mogley09 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hey guys anyone know where you can buy the channel 4 series? Can't seem to find it anywhere now it's no longer available on 4od
    Thanks

2. Cues2

Cues2 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    No, I cant find it. We thankfully recorded it when it was first shown on TV, I think Sky have just resown it too. What I did find was an extended version of 'Commando: On the front line - Director's Cut (DVD)(2014) Each episode has been turned into 1 hour long episodes with a lot of unseen footage, it is worth getting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No. And quite frankly I hope it never sees the light of day again.

Hands down the worst programme of the Royal Marines or indeed of any unit in the British Military. It was an embarrassment, and whoever signed off on it needs a slap.

And the programme producers and staff are disgusting, spineless creatures.

There’s a dark backstory to that horrendous programme. It was an affront to the Royal Marines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Wessex

Wessex Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mogley09

Mogley09 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Most likely why It can't be found anymore then.

6. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

Oh no, Sailor School was way worse!!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@Ninja_Stoker can we get 'Commando School' added to the swear filter?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Agreed.

I do think it was jolly sporting of the Navy to come across as complete buffoons, thus deflecting at least some of the flack away from the Corps.

Trouble is, the programme focused on the "personalities" rather than give an accurate portrayal of training. For personalities, read entertainment aka "people struggling". This may have lead people who realistically doubted their abilities, having watched the programne, to believe they would have their physical foibles & lack of physical preparation blithely overlooked.

Strangely though, despite the howls of anguish from those serving, it massively helped the recruiting effort with an eight-fold increase in forum activity and a doubling of applications during the series and about a month or two after.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My biggest gripe about these shows are the potential risks to reputation. Not the institutional reputation but the personal and professional reputations of the young Recruits who do not elect to have their faces pixellated. I like to think that if all the Recruits had made a truly informed decison just about every face in the Commando School Recruit Troop would have been pixellated.

Admittedly I only watched a couple of episodes of Commando School but it was apparent that selective editing unfairly portrayed at least one Royal Marines NCO as a bit of a buffoon which—so I'm led to believe—resulted in social media abuse directed at his wife.

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Even training team members wanted to not be filmed and the production team just cracked on and saw them off and lads were threatened with disciplinary action if they didn’t do it.

It was a farce. Absolutely disgusting. Channel 4 are not the type of people we should be allowing any kind of documentary anyway, who ever signed off on it needs taken round the back of the hangers and given a slap. Preferably with an entrenching tool.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

In fairness, arguably the blokes weren't seen off by the TV production company—which everyone knows revels in car-crash-TV regardless of damage to individual reputation—but by the MoD which perhaps naively assumed that it could capitalise on another COTFL recruitment fest and agreed to abdicate almost all editorial control.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I've been threatened with disciplinary for refusing media things before. A swift "try it" tends to call their bluff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1