Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Royal Marine Manning Targets Before, Now and Future?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Trooper149, May 17, 2020.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Doing some research, and just wondering if someone could verify as to what the RM manning target has been in the past and what it is now?

From what I have seen, in 2010 numbers where around 7000 but this was during engagements in both Iraq and Afghanistan. At the moment, with less engagements we have 7700?

Just seems a bit irrational to be pushing recruitment when there is less engagements?

Obviously they need to keep the RM ready to deploy at short notice, but I think drastic changes could be made to the application process and pipeline, to speed up and increase applicants going into (and passing out of) training.

Saves the whole scratching of heads at the "what youtube advert should we do now" scenario.

Cheers

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Recruitment has to keep pace with those going out the gate onto different pastures. What the current manning is I don't know, but the biggest problem is retention. Apparently the average length of service is around six years and with no large scale ops going on that figure could well fall.

One option to ease the problems and costs of recruitment is to offer a retention bonus to those already serving, or alternatively induce those that have left to re-join, which I believe may already be happening. In short, if those already in, stay in for an average of a couple of years longer then recruitment will simply fall.

As for speeding up the process of recruitment and training, that can only be achieved by dropping standards and that, currently, is a total non starter.

The current trained ranks on here may have a view on this.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Got to say you do ask some random one,s.!!

First off any Military is regarded as a "standing " army (forces), we cannot be reactionary in recruiting and quite literally no developed nation with a major political footprint on earth is, if we were by the time we have people in service and trained many conflicts or short term engagements would be over, as to overall numbers this is to a degree dictated by what the government/military as required for percievd future events, and what type of troops are needed. So smaller more flexible and self-supporting units such as the marines back by the wider RN for force projection of firepower (air) and even just presence.

As for your assertion that the process could be drastically shortened in both recruitment and pipeline...what experience, knowledge, or expertise to you draw this conclusion.!!.. I would suggest none!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  4. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Some of your threads are really confusing me. For someone wanting to join the Corps at Mne level, these issues are fairly irrelevant and way above our pay grade.

Worry about your phys, worry about what the job of a lad in a section entails. You sound more like an undercover journo then a lad buzzing to join the Corps

• Nailed It Nailed It x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Cheers, allow me to clarify, I am in no way suggesting that the training be shortened but the actual application process. i.e. from when you click submit on the RN website application form, to the point you walk through the gates at Lympstone. At the moment, it is an 8 month application process- you are going to lose a lot of applicants from that fact alone.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
  6. Caversham

And a lot of dross will be amongst them!

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  7. The guide

Well once again what available information or knowledge that you have says it is 8 months??..sorry to be harsh but if you are going to come out with "statements" you should be able to back them up.

8. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Do those who rejoin, have to go through the entire training process? Are they subject to a different criteria upon rejoining?

Cheers

9. The guide

Differing route for re-join entry.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Alot of the guys on PRMC had been waiting about that period of time. Also from observing alot of posts on this forum and from some of the admin, it seems to be the average wait time.

11. Rob20

I would argue, that if 8 months is too long why do lads still fail PJFT, why do lads still fail PRMC? Imagine the failure rates if they put lads to PRMC a month after applying.

And as Caversham says, those who can't be bothered or lacked the determination to give a few months of their life probably wouldn't have lasted 8 months at CTC when things get grim.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  12. The guide

If somebody applies themselves and does everything they can to get in with no hold ups 4-5 months is very do,able in terms of entry, many applicants simply do no follow this path. And as Rob rightly points out why do so many still fail, it,s not like they have not had the time to prepare ?.

13. Rob20

Out of interest, where have you got the figure 7700 currently serving from?

Because you're way off the mark from what PCAP told us...

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Shan't lie, wikipedia. What number have you been given?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  15. Trooper149

App Stage:
    You are right, but a simple issue with ones medical can easily increase and extra 1-2 months as I personally experienced, despite being on point with everything else.

16. Aerial

Aerial Active Member

If you don't want it enough to hack an eight month wait you probably wouldn't make it through training anyway. Even with the application process as long as it is, a lot of lads don't properly use that time to get fit or ready enough for PRMC.

In an ideal world you would have a short application time, but it isn't as though having it be longer or shorter is solely a policy choice. A big reason for delays is also to do with medicals / records / appeals where lots of different parties have accountabilities in ensuring a proper process.

As @Rob20 says, get fit and join first. Posing weird specific questions to set up vague broad-brush questions should be nowhere near your list priorities at the moment (if you are what you say you are).

17. Rob20

As I said to you previously, best not to ask a question whilst giving you're own incorrect figures. Wikipedia is hardly a credible source.

Last brief I had end of last year im sure was less than 6,000.

18. The guide

You really need to check what you are posting as potential "fact" if you are going as an officer you would be taken apart for using generalisations/rumour / here,say as the basis for anything written/said at a potential QA session. And from the opening post it,s fallen short on all counts mate

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. spicey66

spicey66 Royal Marines Commando

The system does works and their are reasons people take longer then other to get in the door and to finish training. Most of the times the reasons are out of your control.

Think about it this way.If they made it easier or shorter think of the standard of recruit/ marines you would get at the end. Training is designed to weed out the people who shouldn’t be there or don’t want to be there.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  20. Caversham

No. Very quick route and short timescale. (Please don't ask me what it is, because I don't know!)

From the comfort of my civilian armchair and subsequent employment doing management consultancy within the Civil Service, the most cost effective way to solve the problem is to make it more attractive for guys to stay in. Increase the pay, stop putting guys straight from training into dead end jobs, such as GD Drives at CTC. Re-instate the attractive exercises around the world and tag on a hoofing run ashore at the end of it. etc. etc. Compare the overall cost of that against the cost of the whole recruitment and training process, including the ones that don't make the grade and my guess is that keeping lads in will be a front runner. Plus, what price experience?

Alan

• Like Like x 2