Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Royal Marine Manning Targets Before, Now and Future?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Trooper149, May 17, 2020.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Right, that completely changes my perspective now. I've been pulling some statistics from Gov.uk. i.e. Royal Navy Monthly Personnel Report. Would this be a credible source of information?

Pulling my hair out separating fact from assumption.

2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

From my experience I think I can give some advice. I applied in May. Passed PRMC september and started early November but had choice to start sooner.

Before my medical I read the guidelines, and requiremenrs. I had childhood asthma and had been tested for Marfans syndrome involving oncology, cardiology and genetic testing. Guess what I did. I got all the notes from this and took it to the medical. Guess what, no delay. I see it countless times on that ridiculous PRMC page on Facebook, lads dripping about the process but none of them went there prepared despite knowing they had previous issues that would be flagged up.

Now, is that the processes fault? Or applicant's not using their common sense?

• Like Like x 8
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Applicants do need to take responsibility for their own application, without a doubt. I guess I need to ask the query, is it necessary to keep the application process at 5-8 months if it can be completed sooner?

4. spicey66

spicey66 Royal Marines Commando

It’s one of those things that most of the time you can’t do anything about. If you get a set back ( e.i medical etc) you have to just wait out. Some lads get in faster then other. It is what it is.

What stage are you up to?

5. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Do you need to ask that query? I dont think you do. You're over thinking so many things. Even as an officer applicant, you're asking poorly worded questions but still questioning the responses from those who have been there and done it.

Can you see how this may rub people up the wrong way?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  6. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    From application to interview to medical to starting, I was 6 months in the job I currently do. Adding in the fitness side of things, I don't think 8 months is that bad. When you factor in external agencies - Capita, GPs or other medical professionals, the timescale seems okay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trooper149

App Stage:
    I am asking a lot of questions which are unnecessary, just good to bounce thoughts off others to get a wider perspective.

Many thanks all for your contributions.

8. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Your threads are really quite worrying, you haven’t entered training and yet your asking about manning levels and pull through rates. If you make it and pass out I would be very careful about some of the questions your asking. Your coming across as a journalist type figure.

You have said yourself about how small the Corp is. Any bootneck will back me up on how easy it is to get a bad name for yourself in the Corp by rubbing people up the wrong way.

Some of the threads you have started I'm thinking “who the hell cares” like you asked about how much it cost for the female accommodation to be built at CTC. It’s irrelevant to you wanting to join the Royal Marines, it’s not your money or mine and doesn’t effect anybody in any way shape or form.

End of rant.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

What can you gain from getting an answer to your questions you keep posting? Does it help your application or your phys stats or help you on the way to becoming a Royal Marine in any way? No.

A word of a advice if you are actually applying to the Corps, stop asking irrelevant questions. Especially with the way you word them. You throw a lot of big words and facts around and as said above you sound like a journalist. You talk like you have served in the Corps for years. I have served less than 5 years. I am a turbo sprog. So take it from a sprog, work on your phys and keep your head down, chops shut and concentrate on getting through. It’s better coming from me now than later on down the line by someone with more stripes because trust me it will be a lot worse coming from them.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  10. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

• Like Like x 4
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's the thinking man's service. Not the over-thinking man's service.

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 3
  12. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

I think for anyone giving up on their application after less than a year, it was never meant to be. It is unlikely anyone who gives up that easily will have what it takes to get through a minimum of 32 weeks of training.

I’m approaching a year in the application process myself, such is life, crack on.

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  13. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    In my personal experience of application (which I have chosen to slow down due to joining RMR and RT not starting till August), the process was nowhere near 8 months.

I applied at the end of September, had my face to face medical one month later. I would have then been able to do my PJFT within a week at my local Nuffield. Presuming I’d have passed that, I could have been loaded onto a PRMC in December, and potentially through the gates of CTC by Jan/Feb.

Obviously this is taking the view that all fitness tests were passed first go, but presuming I’d “got fit to apply” as the saying goes, I could have applied by September and started training within 3-4 months.

Whilst it’s fair to say Capita slow down applications with Medicals due to pre-existing issues, I think lads can speed this up with a bit of initiative. I broke my wrist 13 years ago, so before I’d even submitted my medical forms to Capita I emailed my GP to get the documents they’d require to avoid delays and had them back the same day. Passed face to face medical with no issues.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. Aside from cracking on with the admin within one's control (and a dose of good luck perhaps) getting fit to apply helps prevent undue delay.

Another factor gleaned from reading the experiences of others over the years is the importance of having good comms with one's Careers Adviser. Be proactive. If ready for PRMC but told that a place is not available for a couple of months make it known that you'll take a cancellation slot if one becomes available.
    Same goes for one's date to start RT. Others might drop out for a variety of reasons. One lad on this forum started one month earlier than his given date because he was flexible.

Edited to add: From memory at least one individual on this forum has passed PRMC on the Friday and started RT on the Monday. Almost certainly an exceptional set of circumstances but it does happen.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  15. EvenParasHaveHeroes

EvenParasHaveHeroes Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    At the risk of upsetting a few contributors with far more experience of how the corps and military recruitment works than me I do agree with trooper 149’s sentiment that the recruitment process is quite drawn out and for many needlessly long (In terms of intervals between the tests). For both myself, a brother, and a friend we are of a similar opinion.

I do agree with previous points made along the lines of ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ aka if you can’t hack a little wait 32weeks RT is going to a nasty shock. However all those successful in RT are subject to similar circumstances in the application process and any time that could have been saved here would translate to more time gaining experience in the corps.

Reading through then thread though I have loosely generalised two stereotypes, salty sea dogs who have had there fair share of ‘military waiting’ and can’t see a couple of months as a real issue, and young keen applicants counting down every second.

My personal opinion, keep all the standards the same as nothing less would ever do. But why have a month wait between the psychometric tests and eye tests and a month between that and the medical. I could feasibly see (for a applicant with little medical history) that this could be compressed into a fortnight resulting in less applicants in the application pipeline, and more heads with green berets on them.

16. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

The process been dragged out since Capita has handled the recruiting.

That includes ex regular to Reserves too. Which is shockingly bad.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I have found it really varies hugely between recruitment offices in how efficient they are handling your application and pushing for you to complete each part of it.

I asked if I could do my eye test as soon as possible and they said crack on and managed to book it 5 days after my psychometric test. I kept pestering my careers advisor and he actually found it very refreshing having someone who was really keen to enter recruit training. I did have a delay with my security clearance being accepted due to some unforeseen circumstances however up until then I found it a very quick process.

The best thing you can do is demonstrate your keen, fit and pro active and they will very much support you.