Royal Marine Officer/Promotions

Skanza

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the Officer role.

How easy is it to join as a Marine and get promoted to Officer? How many years will I see as a regular Marine until promotion?

Once passing out as an officer or upon promotion, are you immediately given command to a troop of 30 men? Do you get to be out in the field or are you often stuck doing desk work?

These questions may seem quite straightforward or simple to some, but I need to be certain before making a choice.

Regards

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It would be incorrect to suggest it's easy, if fact anyone who can join as an officer would be well advuised to do just that. No-one would particularly want to complete 32 weeks Other Ranks training followed by 14 months of pretty much the same (but harder!) as an Officer, bringing their career into jeopardy. If you fail Officer training, you have to leave, you cannot revert to Other Rank. It's up to the individual whether they wish to apply for Officer throughout their career, so there's no such timescale that indicates how long you wait until you apply.

If under 26 & you complete the full Officer Commando Course package, then you can expect to be a troop commander afterwards.

If over 26 you would normally complete the Senior Upper Yardman (SUY) route which involves a shorter course but would usually mean you would be in a support rather than front-line billet.

As with all jobs there will be periods when you will be confined to processing office work, particularly as an Officer responsible for the administration aspects of his troop.

Hope that helps.

Zefan

Reaction score
I've got a couple of questions about applying as an Officer Ninja.

I'd really like to enter as an Officer, I feel I'd suit the role and handle the pressure well. I however do not have any real leadership experience and my A Level grades are pretty poor (2 D's and some AS levels). My GCSE grades are good (many A's and B's).

I'm currently in the first year of a degree but it's really not for me since I decided I wanted to join the Corps. I've read that a lot of entrants are graduates, do you think not having a degree combined with lack of leadership experience and poor A Level grades will be a big problem? I've been told that much of the selection process is based on the aptitude tests, how much truth is in this in regards to people in my position?

I know that the only people who can tell me for sure are the people at the AFCO, I'm just trying to find out as much as possible at the moment before I dive in.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Quite simply you don't need anymore than the basic 5 GCSE's A*-C (Including Maths & English) & 140 UCAS points at A level. Having a Degree, Masters or Doctorate makes you no more eligigible to join and places you no higher or lower against anyone who passes selection with a similar standard pass at POC & AIB.

By the way- if you only have the minimum UCAS points get your application in fast as it's rising to 180 UCAS points VERY soon!

However... The better the qualification the better the pay & quicker the promotion AFTER you join.

Just to clarify Officer Seniority upon joining:

From 1 April 2007 a sliding scale of seniority based on Educational Qualifications was introduced. This scale is designed to reflect the more varied routes to a similar standard of qualification and is designed to widen the spread of applicants to the Naval Service. A summary of the scale is as follows:

Masters Degree or Equivalent Antedated Seniority 3.5 yrs
Graduate or equivalent 3 yrs
Foundation Degree or equivalent HNC or Equivalent 1 yr
Basic Entrant- GCSEs, GNVQ and A levels NIL

These rules apply to mainstream RM officers.

Corps Commission (CC) ENTRANTS.

(Other Rank entry, then apply for Officer selection from within the Corps)

CC entrants are likely to hold only the minimum officer entry qualifications but most join CTCRM over the age of 21. Under current rules these CCs join with 3 years seniority (Sub Lt + 1 Year). Unless special provision for CCs was made, under the above rules based purely on Educational Qualifications, they would gain no antedated seniority having to join as Midshipman with no account taken of their previous Naval Service experience. CCs will therefore be awarded up to 3 years seniority based on their experience since the age of 18 in recognition of their service as a former Rating/Other rank. No additional seniority based on educational qualifications will be made.

Full years of service as rating since age of18 Rank/seniority – RN Rank (on entry) -RM Rank/seniority – RM after completion of Phase 2 training
Less than 1 year Mid 2LT Lt
1 year Mid with 1 years seniority 2LT Lt with 1 years seniority
2 years S/Lt 2LT Lt with 2 years seniority
3 years S/Lt 2LT Captain

PAY OF NEW ENTRANTS

The introduction of JPA in November 2006 enabled the pay of new officer entrants to be harmonised across all 3 Armed Forces bringing the RN pay system into line with the Army and Royal Air Force. The main difference in the pay system is that non graduates will enter on a lower starting salary than graduates until they complete their initial officer training. From 1 April 2007 all non graduates join on OF1 Level 1 - £14349 pa until moving to OF1 Level 5 - £22680 on completing Initial Officer Training (on leaving Dartmouth or CTC Lympstone). They will then progress through the pay range by annual increments. On promotion to Sub Lieutenant they move to OF1 Level 6 - £27260.

Graduates join on OF1 Level 7 – £27981 depending on qualifications and then progress through the pay range by annual increments.

Skanza

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! If anyone else wants to give their input please do.

I guess I will be looking at POC after I graduate with a BSc or possibly Masters.

Mitch

Reaction score
Would just be interested in what the seniorities would mean in terms of your role. I am still undecided as to whether to go to uni or not but am worried that if I do I will be promoted too quickly for my liking and promoted out of the troop commanding role. Am I right in saying that as a graduate I would be immediately promoted to captain?

Mitch

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
After successfully completing 14 months of training how to do the job, yes.

You will not be promoted to Captain if you cannot do the job & you won't complete training if you are not able to take the promotion.

Mitch

Reaction score
It's not the ability that troubles me, I understand that I will be binned if I cannot keep up. What I am worried about is missing the early commands that an RM officer gets. As a captain I am guessing after your first troop command you would be moved up and into something different? Is this right?

Mitch

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Dude - Ninja wont be around the forum for the next week or so, probably better PMing him with your query.

Shiloh

Freddles

Reaction score
Hang on if you join the Royals as a simple enlisted marine and there is a possibility of a commission to an officer do you have to apply for a commission or do they simply offer it to you randomely if they think you happen to be brilliant enough?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hang on if you join the Royals as a simple enlisted marine and there is a possibility of a commission to an officer do you have to apply for a commission or do they simply offer it to you randomely if they think you happen to be brilliant enough?
For promtion to Officer from the Ranks, (a Corps Commission) you need the minimum of 5 GCSE's A*-C including maths & English.

You have to request selection & have to be recommended by your superiors & pass POC & AIB then complete the Officer Commando training as indicated at the beginning of the thread.

Be aware, many aspire to attain a Corps Commission, but the best way as already stated is join as an Officer. You should not join up in the expectation it will happen, it may not.

Freddles

Reaction score
Also if you apply to join as an officer direct entry straight out of college/university whatever i understand if you fail you aren't allowed to join as a normal marine but are you allowed to repeatedly attempt to join as an officer or are there only a certain few times you are allowed to like in sas selection where you're only allowed to try twice or it's a nogo?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Also if you apply to join as an officer direct entry straight out of college/university whatever i understand if you fail you aren't allowed to join as a normal marine but are you allowed to repeatedly attempt to join as an officer or are there only a certain few times you are allowed to like in sas selection where you're only allowed to try twice or it's a nogo?
If you fail Officer selection there is no reason why you cannot apply to join as an Other Rank, but even if you passed POC (and failed AIB for instance), you must still take PRMC, having successfully completed the full Other Rank selection process.

There are indeed limited times allowed. It depends on circumstances, but if you fail POC or PRMC twice, you will usuially have to wait a considerable time & be very convincing to be allowed a 3rd & final attempt. Normally the candidate realises after two fails that it really isn't for them & they withdraw their application.

Either way, you should always aim to pass first attempt.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have i got this right?

If you apply as an Officer but fail POC/AIB, you can apply to join as other rank

however

If you make it into YO training proper and fail, you can't apply to rejoin as an other rank