Royal marine officer

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Do royal marine officers end up working in an office as they move up the ranks,
I’ve tried doing research on this but everything I’ve found has been quite vague.

Any information on this would be great thanks.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Officers generally spend 1-2 years as a troop boss before moving on up the chain where they will spend more and more time behind a desk.

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Officers generally spend 1-2 years as a troop boss before moving on up the chain where they will spend more and more time behind a desk.
Don’t know if I’m being stupid here, but can you choose not to be behind a desk

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This subject gets thrown around a lot, I’m assuming your interest lies in being an officer at the spicy end of things. In the action etc. To put it bluntly it’s not an officers job to be on the very front line, even a troop commander will be a tactical bound behind the front line of troops. It’s by this premise that officers generally spend more time at a desk or away from the field. Think of it as a game of chess. The marines/cpls/Sgt’s are the pieces doing battle on the board, and the officer is the person moving those pieces around the board.

Ninjaman

Reaction score
This subject gets thrown around a lot, I’m assuming your interest lies in being an officer at the spicy end of things. In the action etc. To put it bluntly it’s not an officers job to be on the very front line, even a troop commander will be a tactical bound behind the front line of troops. It’s by this premise that officers generally spend more time at a desk or away from the field. Think of it as a game of chess. The marines/cpls/Sgt’s are the pieces doing battle on the board, and the officer is the person moving those pieces around the board.
It’s just that I want to be in the field for as long as possible and be on the frontline basically get my hands dirty, some may say it’s childish but that’s what I want to do. So I’m having trouble picking hence coming here.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s alright it gets asked a lot. Many lads come on here wanting to be the all singing all shooting officer captain price you see in the movies and call of duty. But the reality of it is, officers spend less time in the field and at the pointy end of things due to the nature of their job. The jobs may sound very similar but they are very different on the ground. Their job isn’t to pull triggers, it’s to command marines correctly in order to do the trigger pulling. If you want to stay in field roles, and stuff like that, join the ratings. You can still command as a rating and as I’ve said before, it’s the corporals that’s do the commanding at the pointy end of things. Also you might not be so keen on the field once you start training. Hahah

Ninjaman

Reaction score
It’s alright it gets asked a lot. Many lads come on here wanting to be the all singing all shooting officer captain price you see in the movies and call of duty. But the reality of it is, officers spend less time in the field and at the pointy end of things due to the nature of their job. The jobs may sound very similar but they are very different on the ground. Their job isn’t to pull triggers, it’s to command marines correctly in order to do the trigger pulling. If you want to stay in field roles, and stuff like that, join the ratings. You can still command as a rating and as I’ve said before, it’s the corporals that’s do the commanding at the pointy end of things. Also you might not be so keen on the field once you start training. Hahah
Hahah probably won’t be to keen when I’m sleep deprived just have to push through, just *text deleted* do some more research on what one I want to do

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hahah probably won’t be to keen when I’m sleep deprived just have to push through, just *text deleted* do some more research on what one I want to do
Already been answered well, but you have to remember Officers are the managers of the Corps. It’s their role to lead, mentor, develop, manage and control their troops. As their seniority and experience increases, their need to be on the “frontline” decreases.

If you want to kick doors, Other Ranks is the way to go. As an NCO you lead, develop, mentor, manage and control on a smaller and intimate level, kicking the doors in.

Ninjaman

Reaction score
Already been answered well, but you have to remember Officers are the managers of the Corps. It’s their role to lead, mentor, develop, manage and control their troops. As their seniority and experience increases, their need to be on the “frontline” decreases.

If you want to kick doors, Other Ranks is the way to go. As an NCO you lead, develop, mentor, manage and control on a smaller and intimate level, kicking the doors in.
If I joined at 18 after I sit my highers or English equivalent would I not be in my 40’s by the time I’m behind a desk, just a general question

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If I joined at 18 after I sit my highers or English equivalent would I not be in my 40’s by the time I’m behind a desk, just a general question
To be honest mate. You’d be hard pushed to get in with just highers, you would want to be looking at a degree. It’s possible but you are competing against others for a job interview with degrees etc.

There’s a few threads on here about officers but as far as I’m aware you would do 2 years or so as a troop boss before making your way up the chain.

Latest posts

New Threads