Royal marine style Sit ups

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else found what i found..
The new training aid video for sit ups very clearly explained their technique. Now before watching it, i was doing sit ups without the elbows starting out and coming in, i kept them still through the motion.. and i could do maybe 80-100 reps ok. BUT since *text deleted** adopted the correct technique, its surprisingly more difficult! Im cracking out about 65 at present with good technique! Just goes to show, their way is best hahah Harder= best in my book.

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Yeah I found that, I was cracking out 70 - 80 on sit ups and now with the technique I am only hitting around 60, yeah definitely there technique is best.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I used to keep the elbows in, getting 65 or so, but now I do it RM-style I've so far had 74, 81 and 86. Find them a lot easier... obviously we're better/worse at certain things.

Anon.

Reaction score
The only part of the form I struggle with is actually getting my elbows to touch the top of my knees, I don't why, they just want to touch the sides of them and not the top for some reason, I have to proper lift them over haha

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
RM situps are an awful exercise and a rubbish core exercise, it just heavily taxes the hip flexors.

An alarming percentage of injuries in the US Army, are back injuries come from busting out as many of this type of situp as possible.

But yes, regardless, they must be done.

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh *text deleted** read they can cause back issues, i dont think they will be revising the technique anytime soon though :/

steve14

Reaction score
They completley messed my back up. re-occuring lower back pain is a permanant bar to entry too

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah so this is what's causing my back to ache, i made the connection but thought no, the RM must have thought about this more than that..
Maybe it's a better idea to strengthen the stomach in better ways, and crack these out maybe once a week to gauge improvement?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe it's a better idea to strengthen the stomach in better ways, and crack these out maybe once a week to gauge improvement?
Definitely. I only do RM-style when I do my weekly max tests and the improvement in a period of 2 weeks is in my first post above, so clearly not a major issue.

Try more plank and plank variations (watch out with side planks - I find they also put stress on the lower back if you start to drop your hips); leg raises (support your back with your hands underneath); crunches with your legs free (focuses the abs more) and so on. These will work our abs well and you'll improve rapidly.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
back injuries come from busting out as many of this type of situp as possible.
I believe the us marines do crunches instead of sit ups for this exact reason.

On the contrary i still seem to get a decent core workout while doing sit ups but i never do them alone, i always accompany them with other abdominal workouts which i bet alot of you do. How ever i find it a pain having to keep the fingers on the temples(is this still the procedure?).

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I tend to avoid them, as many do unless I'm running my max tests (which is quite infrequent at the moment). Something of note is to practise back bridges or similar exercises that stretch out the anterior chain and work the posterior chain after doing any exercises that may compromise the back; this includes any ab work really. It will feel uncomfortable during and immediately after, however this stretching/strengthening exercise does protect the back very well!

I've found far lower levels of lower back pain once I added these into my routines.