Royal Marine Training plan

Shaza99

Reaction score
Hi guys thought I would post my training program on here, just to stay accountable and hopefully help people out. A bit about me is that I am almost a fully qualified personal trainer and have been training off/on 3 years with a background in bodybuilding and work at a gym. Biggest weakness for me is cardio *text deleted*, I can Squat 180kg Bench 105kg and Deadlift 170kg but give me a long distance run I am screwed *text deleted*.

Here is my training plan, if you have any questions about the plan even about nutrition feel free to ask? I will keep posting about how training is going and adjustments made to my plan plus the results I am getting from it!
Monday – Push and PJFT

Exercise Reps Sets
Flat bench 5 2
3(negatives) 1
Incline dumbbell 8 3
Dumbbell fly 8 3
Military press 5 3
10 1
dumbbell extens 12 2

PJFT

1st run time - 2nd run time -

Tuesday – Circuit and Stretch

2 x 25 Meter Sprint between exercises

Exercises

Reps – 15 (3 sets) - 45secs rest after all exercises are completed

Push ups
Sit ups
Squats
Wide press ups
Plank
Lunges
Diamond press ups
Alt knee elbow
Tuck jumps

Wednesday – Pull and intervals/Hill sprints

Exercise Reps Sets
Deadlift 5 3
Barbell row 6 3
Lat pull 8 3
Side lat raise (superset) 12 3
Rear delt (superset) 12 3
Incline dumbbell curl 15 2

Treadmill – 20secs working (all out) 40secs rest – Incline 3 - 15 sets

Treadmill – 10secs working (all out) 20secs rest – Incline 8 - 15 sets

Thursday – Circuit and jog

Exercise Reps – Rest 2min after all completed (4 sets)

Box jumps 15
Weighted sit ups 20
Press ups 20
Burpees 15
Toe touches 20
Dips 20

Outside jog

Distance - 3 mile Time -

Friday – Legs and Gym tests

Exercise Reps Sets
Squats 5 3
Leg extensions (superset) 15 3
Leg curl (superset) 15 3
Leg press 10 2
Calf raises 15 3

Tests Result

Press ups
Pull ups
Sit ups

Saturday – Swim and Stretch

3 sets – 2 min rest

Exercise Lengths

Front crawl 10 – 250m
Breast stroke 10 – 250m
Tread water 2mins

Sunday - Rest

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
You've identified your main problem right at the start of your post and that is, you can't run for a "long distance". You don't mention what you consider to be "long", but as the PJFT is the precursor for your PRMC then you need to be increasing your mileage to around 8 miles in order to prepare yourself for this.

Myself and others consistently go on about training specific for the task in front of you, which in this case is the PJFT. You really need to be concentrating on this and only doing the mock once a week just won't cut it, unless you can already comfortably achieve the timings.

You have identified that you have strength in your legs and upper body, so ease up on those and train on your weaknesses. Once you have passed PJFT then ditch the gym and get outside and train specific for your PRMC.

Lastly, on Thursdays you have "toe touches". Jesus, my wife does those so that she can tie her trainers up ok. Trust me when I say that if you're having trouble touching your toes now, then you really will have problems as the years go by! :D:D

Good luck.

Alan

Last edited:

Chelonian

Reaction score
@Shaza99 Just to echo the sound advice above, focus on exceeding requirements for each physical test as they come along.

Put simply, get the running shoes on and get familar with exceeding the required standard on the dreaded tread mill. The machines can catch out even experienced outdoor runners.

As far as I'm aware—happy to be corrected if I'm wrong—you will never be required to complete a single bench press in Recruit Training. But body weight exercises are worth incorporating into a training schedule. Not forgetting mastering the perfect form press up. :)

Assuming that the 'toe touches' are a part of a stretching regime, perhaps give that area some more concentrated attention. A foam roller can also be useful for easing running-induced niggles. Best of luck.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys thought I would post my training program on here, just to stay accountable and hopefully help people out. A bit about me is that I am almost a fully qualified personal trainer and have been training off/on 3 years with a background in bodybuilding and work at a gym. Biggest weakness for me is cardio *text deleted*, I can Squat 180kg Bench 105kg and Deadlift 170kg but give me a long distance run I am screwed *text deleted*.

Here is my training plan, if you have any questions about the plan even about nutrition feel free to ask? I will keep posting about how training is going and adjustments made to my plan plus the results I am getting from it!
Monday – Push and PJFT

Exercise Reps Sets
Flat bench 5 2
3(negatives) 1
Incline dumbbell 8 3
Dumbbell fly 8 3
Military press 5 3
10 1
dumbbell extens 12 2

PJFT

1st run time - 2nd run time -

Tuesday – Circuit and Stretch

2 x 25 Meter Sprint between exercises

Exercises

Reps – 15 (3 sets) - 45secs rest after all exercises are completed

Push ups
Sit ups
Squats
Wide press ups
Plank
Lunges
Diamond press ups
Alt knee elbow
Tuck jumps

Wednesday – Pull and intervals/Hill sprints

Exercise Reps Sets
Deadlift 5 3
Barbell row 6 3
Lat pull 8 3
Side lat raise (superset) 12 3
Rear delt (superset) 12 3
Incline dumbbell curl 15 2

Treadmill – 20secs working (all out) 40secs rest – Incline 3 - 15 sets

Treadmill – 10secs working (all out) 20secs rest – Incline 8 - 15 sets

Thursday – Circuit and jog

Exercise Reps – Rest 2min after all completed (4 sets)

Box jumps 15
Weighted sit ups 20
Press ups 20
Burpees 15
Toe touches 20
Dips 20

Outside jog

Distance - 3 mile Time -

Friday – Legs and Gym tests

Exercise Reps Sets
Squats 5 3
Leg extensions (superset) 15 3
Leg curl (superset) 15 3
Leg press 10 2
Calf raises 15 3

Tests Result

Press ups
Pull ups
Sit ups

Saturday – Swim and Stretch

3 sets – 2 min rest

Exercise Lengths

Front crawl 10 – 250m
Breast stroke 10 – 250m
Tread water 2mins

Sunday - Rest

Cheers dits...

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What stage of application are you? And What’s your PJFT timings? And your bleep test?
Pullups?
Pushups?
Sit-ups?

What’s your 3mile run like? We don’t jog in the marines. What’s your 9mile like?

To be blunt, We don’t care what your squat/dead/bench is. What’s your bodyweight?

Honest opinion? It’s too weight heavy, and it’s too much. The circuits look alright though. You need to be doing more PJFTs/endurance training.

Reaction score
Dont over complicate it......

Run
Swim
Pressups
Pullups
Situps

As often as you can building up the intensity every time you revisit an exercise be it 1 extra rep if possible or an extra length in the pool etc.

Cant agree more with the training specific comments! Ditch the weights get on your running shoes and find a pull up bar instead.

Clumsy

Reaction score
Scrap it. Follow arny's. Tried and tested by so many blokes.

Remember phys is only a fraction of the battle. Learn to iron, fold clothes to A4, make hospital corners on beds. Learn corpse history and knowledge in particular all of the VC winners. Good corpse knowledge can save you getting flanked in drill. Some of this stuff might mean nothing to you now but It mean the world to you when your down there. I also recommend reading 'the obstacle is the way' Ryan Holiday

Shaza99

Reaction score
Myself and others consistently go on about training specific for the task in front of you, which in this case is the PJFT. You really need to be concentrating on this and only doing the mock once a week just won't cut it, unless you can already comfortably achieve the timings.

Yeah of course to get better at something you need to do it more like the 'SAID' principle, but as my body isn't use to it this plan is for the first week to as such ease into it. That's why I incorporated indirect methods to help me for the PJFT such as swimming as it uses the aerobic system and circuits for my anaerobic. But don't worry next week will deffo have more specific training! And yeah *text deleted* toe touches burn my abs that's the reason for including them.

Cheers
Shaun

Shaza99

Reaction score
What stage of application are you? And What’s your PJFT timings? And your bleep test?
Pullups?
Pushups?
Sit-ups?
What’s your 3mile run like? We don’t jog in the marines. What’s your 9mile like?
To be blunt, We don’t care what your squat/dead/bench is. What’s your bodyweight?

Hi ive got my medical in a couple of weeks, timings on my PJFT are 12mins on the first run and and 10mins 43secs on my second. Will be doing my bleep test next week in training! pulls max, 50 press ups, 67 sit ups. Bw is roughly 71kg.

Cheers
Shaun

Shaza99

Reaction score
Dont over complicate it......

Run
Swim
Pressups
Pullups
Situps

As often as you can building up the intensity every time you revisit an exercise be it 1 extra rep if possible or an extra length in the pool etc.
Cant agree more with the training specific comments! Ditch the weights get on your running shoes and find a pull up bar instead.

Cheers for the reply, I included weights just to add some strength and power to help in my press ups and pull ups etc but will be definitely be changing the plan to concentrate just directly on these.

Many thanks
Shaun

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Your stats are good for your bodyweight.

But your stats for RM aren’t bad, but need work. Take a look around the phys section for ideas.

You have a good idea and know how to train hard, it’s just dropping the weights and getting the mileage that’s going to be hard for you.

Shaza99

Reaction score
Your stats are good for your bodyweight.

But your stats for RM aren’t bad, but need work. Take a look around the phys section for ideas.

You have a good idea and know how to train hard, it’s just dropping the weights and getting the mileage that’s going to be hard for you.

Yeah definitely mate, have you got any tips for running like how you make the time pass? Also are you currently serving in the RM?

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Good to hear that this plan is only short term. Unfortunately, if you're serious about joining the Corps, the body building needs to go out of the window. You will not get any chance whatsoever to do any during RT at all. Put that programme on the shelf until you successfully pass out of RT and join a Unit where you will find that Operation Massive has a following.

Body builders and gym bunnys often have problems with the running side of things, but as @ThreadpigeonsAlpha states, it's what it is all about and the only way round it is to get out on the road and get the miles in.

To counter any boredom, either get a training partner, or join a running club. A good measure of running fitness is the ability to hold a conversation whilst getting the miles in. Introduce sprints, hills and then hill sprints into your routine and as I have stated, get your mileage up to 8 miles in preparation for PRMC. In the mean time, get plenty of sessions in on the treadmill and make sure that you can achieve the pass time consistently before you apply.

Once again, good luck!

Alan

Shaza99

Reaction score
Good to hear that this plan is only short term. Unfortunately, if you're serious about joining the Corps, the body building needs to go out of the window. You will not get any chance whatsoever to do any during RT at all. Put that programme on the shelf until you successfully pass out of RT and join a Unit where you will find that Operation Massive has a following.

Body builders and gym bunnys often have problems with the running side of things, but as @ThreadpigeonsAlpha states, it's what it is all about and the only way round it is to get out on the road and get the miles in.

To counter any boredom, either get a training partner, or join a running club. A good measure of running fitness is the ability to hold a conversation whilst getting the miles in. Introduce sprints, hills and then hill sprints into your routine and as I have stated, get your mileage up to 8 miles in preparation for PRMC. In the mean time, get plenty of sessions in on the treadmill and make sure that you can achieve the pass time consistently before you apply.

Once again, good luck!

Alan

Cheers really appreciate your comments and support, it is going to be personally a hard transition but just going to get on with it!

Many thanks
Shaun

blindman3004

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There has been some great advice already on here, take it from me from someone who lifts drop the weights, show muscle is useless and not functional for marine training. I had a trap bar deadlift of 240kg before recruit training was weighing around 90kg/95kg . I wished I focused my time on more running and sprints! I was christened the nickname "steds" in my 2nd troop during my short time in recruit training and remember as I was getting thrashed on ex, one of the corporals said to me "how's those deadlifts working out for you" while I was doing terminator crawls through a muddy swamp thing for being last on pays to be winner ...good times *text deleted* doesn't sound so bad but its a admin nightmare for kit muster the next day. Benching 100kg + is not going to get up those hills any faster..but hill sprints will. As stated practise maximising the PRMC tests, if you feel need to add resistance to the body weight exercises invest in a weighted vest or a cheaper alternative rucksack with weights.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah definitely mate, have you got any tips for running like how you make the time pass? Also are you currently serving in the RM?

I was Regular. I am now RMR.

Your going to have to just bite the bullet mate and get on with it. Maybe take some music and try and wean yourself on longer runs.
There’s a thread on here somewhere about tips and it had a good tips from a few lads.

Could try doing something a simple as multiplication, or working out how many songs will last for your run, or run through some work related stuff. I sometimes go over medical stuff, primary surveys etc.

SarriesFan

Reaction score
After looking at several threads I have finally come up with a fitness plan to help me with my pjft time as well as my push ups/sit ups however, my pull ups are shockingly bad. Does anyone have any tips regarding how to get better at them?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score