Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Royal Marine Troop Sizes

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Trooper149, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Just brushing up on the structure of the Royal Marines, appreciate some verification:
    -2 Fireteams make a Section. Each Fireteam is composed of 3 Marines and led by 1 Lance Corporal/Corporal.
    -A Section, is led by a Corporal and is composed of 8 men in total.
    -3 Sections form a Troop. A Troop is led by a Lieutenant, an experienced Sergeant and a radio operator. Troops are composed of 30 in total.
    -3 to 5 Troops make a Company/Squadron? A Company is commanded by a Captain, a Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer Class 2 and additional staff.
    -6 Companies/Squadrons make a Commando unit. A Commando unit is commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel/Colonel, a Captain and a Regimental Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer Class 1. 2 of those companies will be an HQ and Logistics company.

I understand that unit sizes and ranks in charge can vary according to the role and environment they are operating but is there anything significant I am missing?

I've noticed that (R) Sergeant Majors are ranks still being used, however on wikipedia, it doesnt include them? Have I got their equivalent WOs correct?

Also with future commando force, is it likely that the term "squadron" will become more regularly used?

Many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

WO is their rank, Sgt major is their job title/role. For example an Lt is his rank but his job/role is troop commander.

don’t know about future commando force because it seems nobody really does.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1