Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Marines award?

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by Captain Calamity, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Captain Calamity

Captain Calamity New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    My wife's mother's Dad isn't very well anymore. He can no longer communicate. His wife has found the award in the picture but doesn't know anything about it. He's never talked about it. Would anyone be able to shed any light on it please?
    Thanks. FB_IMG_1530215013746.jpg

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’m go out on a limb and say that’s an old kings badge, award for best recruit.
    If memory serves me right the award is a really old Royal Marine tradition that dates back way before becoming commandos.

Literally comes from when the king would inspect the troop and give an award to the recruit who produced the best turn out.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

A deffo worthy keep sake

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

His number is of the old Plymouth Division. Back then there were Plymouth, Portsmouth and Chatham Divisions. Your number was dictated by which Division you were serving in.

My guess, as well, is that it's a KB, but I'll put it up on the OAMAAM site to see what the old and bold make of it.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. Captain Calamity

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thank you Alan, that'd be hoofin! (Did I get that right?!)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Caversham

You did!

Alan

6. Caversham

What I do know is that at Stonehouse barracks in the archway at the maingate, there was a list of KBs from the Division on the wall. If he was a KB he would be there.

Also, KBs are listed in the Drill Shed at CTC, but I'm not sure if they go back that far. I'm guessing the year would be late 40s early 50s. Maybe @Illustrious could have a look in the next time they're passing.

Alan

7. Caversham

Right, first hit already, which makes sense. If the gentleman concerned was in the Corps around WW2, then he may have been in as a Hostilities Only, i.e. conscripted. His number ties in with that timescale.

Apparently, HO Squads were not awarded a KB, a fact I was not aware of, but were awarded a Best Recruit medal, which if we get further confirmation sounds about right.

One thing that would clear it up would be his Service Certificate. All awards are recorded on that. If he doesn't have it, then either him, or his wife can request a copy from the RN.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  8. Captain Calamity

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thank you so much. This is all fitting. I've been chatting to his daughter about your replies.

She remembers him talking about serving on the arctic convoys (?) So the time scale would fit, if she remembers correctly.

Either way she's immensely proud of him, even more so now she's finding out a bit more about his history. He joined as a 15 year old boy bugler and left as a captain apparently.

9. Caversham

Apparently HO has been ruled out by the number, but a similar award was made to National Service guys.

One member of OAMAAM had a Lt P H Evans as his boss in 1968 when he was working in Portsmouth in the Drafting Office. Was this gentleman around then and could it be him?

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There were certainly Royal Marines serving on warships during the Arctic Convoys (August 1941 and May 1945), their action stations were usually upperdeck weapons. On the larger ships (Cruisers upward), the Royal Marines would man one of the main armament gun turrets, although buglers would sound the alerts and normally form part of first aid teams. My understanding was buglers were often drawn from RM infantry personnel at that time.

Normally those serving afloat, during the war years, would've been 17 upwards, so if he was born May 1928 or earlier, that ties in nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Caversham

Royal Marines always manned X turret.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

13. Captain Calamity

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Aye, he was made aware of that award back in 2012. "I'm too old to bother with that stuff now" was his reply apparently.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You can still claim the medal on his behalf, I believe.

It is part of your family history & whilst he may not have felt it worthwhile, it was certainly a well earned & deserved medal.

• Like Like x 1