Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Marines Commando 32 Week Recruit Training Programme

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    After reading on here about nods falling asleep as their family drive them out of the gates, I don't think I'd risk it. Just nap on the choochoo.

Geek

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

There are quite possibly a few r&r that are applied in RT to recruits but for the reasons eluded to by Ninja,they make total sense,after all it's a few quid and a few hours..

3. James.H

James.H Member

@Ninjastoker Can i confirm that the training programme you posted in 2013 is the same as the one used now? Got my interview fairly soon with a bit of luck!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The modules are the same, the sequence/type of exercises may alter from troop to troop depending on asset availability, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robin

Robin New Member

Hi ninja_stoker, do you have the training program for the RMR?

6. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pedders19

pedders19 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Is this still roughly accurate? I'm having a revision binge!;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mumofthree

Mumofthree Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @rdm73 these are the proposed details for training but as I understand it there is some alterations made as required with each individual troop based on their achievements.

P.s. you need details only for troop 253 not 254 unless your nod changes troop.

9. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

The Commando phase has changed quite a bit now,same content just different weeks, most significant change being Final Ex now ends wk 30 so its straight off FE into test week.

• Like Like x 1
  10. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I wonder why it was changed so that lads are straight off final ex then onto the tests? By all accounts it's a really tough exercise and they're exhausted before they start test week with basically no time to recover.

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

That's the general idea. It really is a test of resolve. So even if a Nod fails Final Ex they have to go straight into Test Week after redoing the exercise.

I will say that tests themselves are not unduly hard. What makes them difficult is they are at the end of 32 weeks of extremely hard training and at the finish of one of the hardest exercises in the programme. The good bit is that all the Nods know that all that is standing between them and their CGB is these four tests.

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  12. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks, @Caversham, I understand that - I was wondering why final ex hasn't always been directly before the tests - as you say, it's a real test of resolve - and the reasoning behind the change in the training programme. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caversham

When I went through training, the final ex was the first week of the CC, which gave you around four weeks to get over before starting the tests. Although I passed the ex, I picked up a knee injury which saw me being back trooped for around 8 weeks. Once recovered and fit enough I re-commenced training at the point I left off. On today's policy I would have had to redo the exercise! :(

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  14. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yep as Alan says, the idea is to get the recuit to the tests physically and mentally exhausted!! Although not a Marine myself I can absolutely say after going down to see my son after his Final Ex that he was indeed exhausted!! But very very fit, and very very mentality strong too.

Rest assured if your lad is at the test stage of training he has what it takes. Just needs a smidge of luck.

• Like Like x 3
  15. westy

westy Well-Known Member

And I thought it was meant to be harder in your day:eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. Caversham

Depends who you listen to! Other sites are full of "old and bold" making exactly that claim! My personal view is a mixed one.

Myself and others of my time have asked that question and it leads to lively debate! My view is that I don't think I would have made the start line for RT. I was 9st 10lb on entry, which equates to around 62 kg, so would have needed to gain weight by today's standards. Secondly, I had a knee injury as a child, which I guess would have made me TMU whilst it was investigated.

There was no PRMC prior to entry, so when I asked what I should do to prepare, I was told not to bother, as that was "their job". The first few sessions in the gym at Deal was horrendous and did see a few heading for the gate, but I was not one of them.

Training length was around the same, although it had been reduced from 36 weeks just before I joined. Tactics and weapons were different, but the beastings were the same and I'm pleased to see that the TTs of today are more supportive and encouraging. There was no carrot and stick for us, just stick!

Our Squad/Troop Sgt was a KB with 4 years service in. When he passed out he was loaded straight onto a JCC which he passed with distinction and was promoted to Cpl, all before he joined his first Unit. The next three years were spent on courses before us being his first Troop as a Sgt. He demanded high standards, which we failed miserably to achieve! However, the exercises were similar and the commando tests were the same.

The big difference that I feel that we had and I have mentioned it before, was the kit was absolute crap back then. We had no sleeping bags or roll mats and I went through RT during the winter, when winters WERE more colder than now. Our boots were awful and constantly fell to bits. For ankle support we had WW1 puttees! And to keep dry we had a WW1 gas cape for when it was raining, which when joined together with cord made a double bivvy. The problem was that if it was raining, you had to take it off to make the bivvy, so you got soaked through, which rather defeated the objective! The good kit was the 7.62 SLR and the GPMG, so not all bad and the weight for load carries were around the same.

So all in all, who knows what is the hardest, but the one thing I did have, along with others, was the determination to get the CGB on my head, which I did!

Alan

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  17. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I suppose when I comes down to it, determination is probably the biggest motivator when it comes to earning a CGB

• Like Like x 1
  18. Caversham

Absolutely! You can do all the fitness training imaginable, but the biggest test is really how much you want it.

This is especially relevant on a winter's night on Dartmoor, when you are carrying the contents of your locker on your back and you are cold beyond belief and soaked through and you have several more of the same to endure.

Guys consistently post how many press ups/pull ups/sit ups they can do, which is great, but the biggest test is living and operating in the field in all conditions.

It really is a State of Mind!

Alan

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  19. Rover

Rover Moderator

Many things change, spot the differences.....

SANGIN.jpeg

9 Trp C Company 40 Cdo. Tebadu 65..JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Very little has changed except upgraded weapons and kit

I remember reading about the battle of Mirbat and I believe it was Andy McNab who said that in those days they fought in just shorts and boots and no other kit