Royal Marines Commando 32 Week Recruit Training Programme

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
my son is on wk 13 ROP (not counting 3 wk leave) and is just about tallying with this. some parts ahead, some parts not. eg. completed Baptist Run but just did first week at Straight Point doing shooting. But with 299 & 298 together so not sure if changed for the pre ROP troops also.

Yeah, it would of been nice knowing what he would of been doing but when I showed him this he said 3/4 of the tests on this he already did in the ROP

rheomorten

Reaction score
my son is on wk 13 ROP (not counting 3 wk leave) and is just about tallying with this. some parts ahead, some parts not. eg. completed Baptist Run but just did first week at Straight Point doing shooting. But with 299 & 298 together so not sure if changed for the pre ROP troops also.
Thank you, did he get families day? Or was that cancelled due to COVID?

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Apologies, is this a mistake, week 13 ROP?
Or have I read this wrong. ROP is pre RT but can be longer than just 4 weeks?

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ROP is 4 weeks then 32 weeks training starts if the candidate passes ROP. My nod is in the last intake for the 32 week training program. There are differences in timing between schedules but I'm not sure what.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
No. ROP is four weeks and if they pass they move straight onto Week 1 of the 32 week RT programme.

Alan

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
As per @Chelonian post - ROP is submaximal, so I think some mis-communication / understanding has gone on he won't have done 3/4 of the tests to the full extent. ROP is very much an introduction into basic training and not in any way a "testing" phase apart from the CAA (Commando Appitdue Assesmsnet) on the last Friday.

To be honest and this applies to all questions in regards training - there really is no need to get hung up on what each individual event entails or what you do "here or there" in training as applicants and posters on here can get wrapped up in the minutia of detail when no need or real tangible benefit - as all training requires 100 % commitment & and application, knowing has actual little benefit to then actually doing an exercise as so many variables. Where as the Commando test are 100 % set in stone with no variable. I do get wanting a rough outline though but not available for ROP as of yet. (i have asked)

Chelonian

Reaction score
Those who pass the CAA (Commando Aptitude Test) at the end of the four week ROP on a Saturday seamlessly transfer into Week 1 of RT on the Monday.

The weeks preceding RT are labelled ROP1, ROP2, ROP3 and ROP4.

bishopgab

Reaction score
Thank you to @Daisyy for taking the trouble to draft out an overview of RT current to November 2019.

Please be aware that RT is a constantly evolving schedule.
Also some individual elements might be adjusted. Do not consider the references to Long Weekend Leaves as certainties. These can be rescheduled or cancelled at short notice.

As with previous iterations of the schedule in this thread, feel welcome to comment on amendments as they occur in future.

MODULE 1 – INDIVIDUAL SKILLS (TEACH PHASE)

Foundation

To effect the transition from civilian to military life and prepare the individual recruit for Training in the Royal Marines

Week 1

Joining routine, Gym and Swimming Assessment, Kit Issue, Basic Skills Training, Med and Dental checks, Admin, Husbandry, Drill & PT

Week 2

Ex EARLY NIGHT (night in field), Drill, PT, Royal Marines Close Combat (RMCC), Team Challenges, Weapon Training (Rifle, MATT 1), Personal Admin, Equality and Inclusion Brief (MATT 6)

Week 3

Weapon Training, Drill, PT, Hearing Protection fitted (MATT 3), Thinking Strategies

Individual Skills

To teach and practise elementary military skills in a progressive manner

Week 4

Weapon Training (Rifle), PT and Swims, Drill and Corps History, RMCC, Basic Educational Skills Test, Ex FIRST STEP (One night in the field)

Week 5

Wpn Trg (Rifle – Including Handling Tests), PT, Map Reading, Ex QUICK COVER (3 Day Field Ex Incl Basic Fieldcraft and CQB)

Families’ Day

(Long Weekend Leave)

Week 6

First aid (MATT 3), First Rifle Shoot (DCCT/25m Range), PT, Drill, Map Reading (MATT 5)

Week 7

Ex MARSHALL STAR (3 1/2 Day Field ex): Fieldcraft, Map Reading & Soldiering Skills (Incl Obs Crossing), Battle Swimming Test (BST), RMCC, First Aid Trg

Week 8

Drill, PT, Map Reading, First Aid, Survive Evade Resist Escape (SERE) and Conduct after Capture Trg (MATT 8), RMCC, RMFA, Coy Comd's Rounds, Unit Visit

Week 9

Drill, PT (Gym Assessment), Map Reading, First Aid Assessment (MATT 3), Apprenticeship, Orienteering, Live Firing (DCCT)

Week 10

Ex HUNTER’S MOON (5 Day field ex) – Navigation Trg & Map Reading with 2 Day Survival Phase, Fit Respirators

MODULE 2 - INDIVIDUAL SKILLS (CONFIRMATION PHASE)

Advanced Skills

To consolidate the skills learned thus far and progress onto more advanced aspects of individual soldiering

Week 11

CBRN, Signals, Ex BAPTIST WALK (2 Day practice in all skills taught in phase 1)

Grenade Range, Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET), Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC, MATT 7), Intro to the Bottom Field

Week 12

Ex BAPTIST RUN (3 day field ex (Criteria Exercise)) – To test all Skills taught in Phase 1 – incl Stalking, Kit Inspections, Map Reading, 8 Mile Load Carry, Post-Exercise Inspection, Sigs Training

Week 13

Live Firing: Rifle to ACMT(Combat Infantryman), Close Quarter Marksmanship (CQM), Functional Skills, PT (AMF)

Week 14

ACMT (Cont) Additional Rifle Shoots, Close Quarter Marksmanship (CQM) Functional Skills PT (AMF)

Week 15

PT AMF Assessment, Sigs (Bowman), Tp Tactics Lecture, Military Knowledge, CBRN, First Drill Inspection, Arms Drill Passout and End of Phase 1 Parade, 4 Mile Speed March, 8 MLC Re-Runs, RMFT (MATT2), Ex OVERLORD

(Long Weekend Leave)

MODULE 3 – TACTICS & TEAM TRAINING (TEACH PHASE)

Operations Of War

To train and practise a recruit in the tactical skills and knowledge requiredd to act as a rifleman in all operations of war and all transitional phases of war

Week 16

Signals Trg, PT – Battle Preparation Training (BPT), Ex FIRST BASE (4 Day Field Exercise involving Tac and Doc Training, Recce, Ops & Harbour Drills & 5 Mile Speed March), CPERS Handling

Week 17

Ex LIGHTSTRIKE (Section Attacks), Sigs (Bowman Practical Test), UGL Lessons

Week 18

GPMG Training, PT – BPT, Intro to COIN Ops, Functional Skills, TP Tactics Lectures

Week 19

PT – BPT incl Passout (Re-Runs Wed, Thu), Drill, Functional Skills, IED, CBRN, 9mm Pistol, TP Tactics Lectures

Week 20

Sigs Trg, Tactics Trg incl Ex SECOND EMPIRE (Troop Attacks), PT, RMCC

Week 21

Ex URBAN WARRIOR 4 days incl Urban Trg, CIED Trg (MATT 9), Mine Awareness, Building/ Room Entry, Practical Battle Exercise

MODULE 4 – TACTICS & TEAM TRAINING (CONFIRMATION PHASE)

Week 22

Ex VIOLENT ENTRY (7 Days OBUA, FIBUA, Tp Attacks, COIN & Defence (Criteria Exercise), Sub-Surface Operations), Spot Maps

Week 23

VIKING TRG – 2 1/2 Days Tactics, Teach Delib Attack, Ambush, Vehicle Anti-Ambush and Vehicle Escape Underwater Training (VEUT), R&I Training

(Long Weekend Leave)

Week 24

ASM/NLAW/60mm Mortar, Endurance & Tarzan Course Intro, 12 Mile Load Carry (Criteria), Military Knowledge test, Pistol Live Firing

Week 25

Ex SEA SENSE: Amphibious Training, Sea Safety Trg (EFSSC), GPMG, LFMT

Week 26

Field Firing FFX1 (Individual, Fire Team and Section Level Live Firing by Day and Night)

Week 27

Field Firing FFX2 (Section & Troop Level Field Firing by Day and Night)

Commando Course

To confirm a recruit is professionally prepared for service in an operational unit, is at a Commando level of fitness and has the requisite professional skil, determination, courage, unselfishness, and cheerfulness under adversity

Week 28

6 Mile Speed March (Re-runs Wed & Fri) Amphibious Training, Tarzan Assault and Endurance Cse Practice Runs, Drill, Lectures, RMCC, Realities of War Package

Week 29/30

Ex FIXED ROPES: Cliff Assault, Techniques, Water Obs, Tarzan Assault and Endurance Cse Inst, Ex FINAL THRUST (9 Days) Final Exercise conducted at Bodmin (BDA) and Dartmoor (DTA)

Week 31

Commando Tests, Drill, Admin, Insurance Brief, Vaccinations, Career Advice Lectures

King's Squad Pass Out Week

To Pass Out a Recruit for duty in a fitting manner

Week 32

Drill Practice, King’s Squad Pass Out Parade & Leaving Admin

Chelonian

Reaction score
For guidance only:

Below is a reasonably current training schedule which gives an overview of ROP Weeks 1-4 and RT Weeks 1-32.

As stated earlier in the thread ROP and RT constantly evolve. Please do not regard this as a definitive document as elements might be rescheduled. Weekend Leave might be cancelled at very short notice so do not rely upon this document to plan leave activities.

ROP_RT_Sep_2020.jpeg

Edited to add: This schedule is clearly appropriate to the new ROP/RT regime. Recruit Troops which started RT prior to ROP/RT might be following an earlier version of RT.

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
no sorry my error. i meant that he was ROP and now week 13...including his 4 weeks ROP....but less the 3 weeks leave!!
Confused?? ignore me!
He is 299 anyway.
i've seen his time table and it doesn't really tally with where he is at now and i guess they can change it up anytime so i just wait for him to tell me what he has done.

I’ve a feeling “week 13 ROP” is a typo.

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
my son was in the first ROP, i just counted the whole 13 weeks including his 4 wks ROP.
There was so much going on about the new ROP when he joined i just got that stuck in my head!! Sorry for confusing you! I confuse myself

rheomorten

Reaction score
my son was in the first ROP, i just counted the whole 13 weeks including his 4 wks ROP.
There was so much going on about the new ROP when he joined i just got that stuck in my head!! Sorry for confusing you! I confuse myself
In the 13 weeks has he had any weekends off or a Saturday off?

rheomorten

Reaction score
For guidance only:

Below is a reasonably current training schedule which gives an overview of ROP Weeks 1-4 and RT Weeks 1-32.

As stated earlier in the thread ROP and RT constantly evolve. Please do not regard this as a definitive document as elements might be rescheduled. Weekend Leave might be cancelled at very short notice so do not rely upon this document to plan leave activities.

ROP_RT_Sep_2020.jpeg
can you please explain what the different colours mean?