Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal Marines cuts U-turn: 1,500 troops and assault vessels SAVED

Discussion in 'RM Operational News' started by Rover, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

BRITAIN is to retain its ability to land troops on enemy shores by sea after plans to cripple the Royal Marines and axe two amphibious landing craft were shelved.

By Marco Giannangeli

PUBLISHED: 00:01, Sun, Apr 8, 2018 | UPDATED: 12:16, Sun, Apr 8, 2018

The Royal Marines will retain vital landing crafts

The plans, leaked last year, would have seen the Commando regiment reduced by up to 1,500 troops and assault vessels Albion and Bulwark scrapped as part of £20billion cost-saving measures.

According to senior sources, Ministry of Defence mandarins have now accepted a new plan, endorsed by Admiral Sir Philip Jones, which promises to deliver the same savings but result in only 450 Royal Marines being axed.

Last night a senior source said: “The Royal Navy has found a way of ensuring the Royal Marines can maintain their operability and amphibious vessels remain in service, for the time being.”

The cost will be high, however, and will include the withdrawal of six warships, three of them Type 23 frigates, from frontline service.

These Dukeclass frigates will be put into “operational readiness” awaiting early retirement, while their critical components are stripped and fitted to the new Type 26 frigates replacing them.

A leaked memo seen by the Sunday Express laid bare the extent to which the Royal Navy is having to “make do and mend” due to budgetary constraints.

In one example, it cites the Northumberland, currently in the final stages of a multi-million pound service.

Because the upgrading of its weapons systems has taken priority, there has been no money to fix defects in its four diesel engines.

“As is typical of our refits, headline upgrades to weapons systems use the bulk of the available budget,” said the memo. The budgets are so constrained a lot of engineering defects are largely ignored purely due to a lack of funding.”

The Royal Navy’s recruitment crisis is so dire that the frigate Portland “has been sat alongside in Devonport since March with a locked gate on her gangway, as they cannot staff the ship. It is occasionally being used for minor training exercises.”

The Navy’s personnel retention crisis, which saw a haemorrhaging of marine engineers who chose the more lucrative private sector, has now spread to weapons engineers and communications ratings – “amongst the most capable and highly trained engineers on the planet”.

Details of the defence review, which was detached from the National Capability and Security Review by defence secretary Gavin Williamson, are expected to be announced in July.

While the Royal Marines have been spared cuts which would have seen the regiment relegated to “watered down infantry”, the Army is expected to be reduced to its smallest size in history.

Last night sources at the Army Board, which is headed by General Sir Nick Carter, said it was preparing to reduce the number of regular soldiers from 82,500 to 75,000.o_O

Other casualties will include the Royal Artillery, which will experience a massive reduction in the number of field guns and tracked weapons.-banghead-

The RAF, already set to lose its entire Tornado fleet, has proposed the mothballing its 60-strong Chinook fleet.-banghead--banghead-

That will spark a recruiting freeze for Chinook pilots which may have a knock-on effect on Special Forces operations.-banghead-

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/943000/royal-marines-attack-crafts-saved-landing-plans-leaked

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As always, would urge caution but potentially good news.

A move to lighter forces makes sense, hence the gunners getting a bit of a beating, but that makes the potential decision to mothball the Chinook fleet even more bizarre. What's the point of having light agile forces if you can not move them around the battlefield? The RAF answer seems to be Typhoon no matter what the question.

The three services seem to be fighting a protectionist battle for their pet projects rather than taking a holistic approach to meet the stated priorities for Defence.

Looking forward to seeing the final outcome of all this.

Bit heavy for a Sunday afternoon and Exeter have just scored...

• Like Like x 2
  3. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

• Like Like x 1
  4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ironically, Nick Carter comes from one of the least inclusive Regts in the Army.

Spent the last 4 years turning the Army into a laughing stock, now head of HM Forces with Theresa May saying he got the job because of the work he has done to make the Army reflect society.

Devastated the Messenger didn't get the top job rather than this politician.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It is stuffed mate.

I want it in writing here and hopefully some caviar munching doorknob will see it, but that man is a havering, cock womble, waste of oxygen, pretentious ars3. I hope he chokes on his caviar.

The Forces has been more inclusive than any job long before the left demanded all this made up crap.

Why and how are these people in power.

What an actual festering turd of a situation. Oh but it’s ok we can still send millions of pounds to every other bloody country.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, arguably beyond bizarre. Is a Chinook replacement planned for after the mothball phase? I can't find any obvious references. Arguably the type is an essential, basic workhorse and not an exotic indulgence.
    This from only seven months ago:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uk-plots-fresh-chinook-helicopter-acquisition-441025/

My grumpiness is diluted by the original source being the sensationalist Express Newspapers. Although Marco Giannangeli is often surprisingly quite sensible when his content isn't 'sexed up' by sub editors.

Ouch! :)

Exeter 46, Gloucester 10.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

To be fair, the newish Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson, who replaced the disgraced and inept buffoon Fallon (who should have been stripped of his peerage) seems to be half decent at his job.

Inevitably, whenever there isn't an ongoing conflict, government will look for savings but at least they seem to recognise who is actually at the sharp end when our fighting capability is required.

Conveniently, the predicted recruiting shortfall may well meet the targetted reduction without redundancies, depending on timeframe...I sincerely hope.

What is interesting is when we come to making savings, each service becomes very inward-looking. To me the aircraft carrier project is vital and will undoubtedly help meet our global strike capability.

That said, I genuinely think we need diesel electric submarines rather than nuclear powered, due to their stealth properties over endurance submerged. I do also wonder whether nuclear armed submarines are the cheapest and most effective delivery vehicle for ICBMs.

A hundred aircraft with a nuclear weapon delivery capability, at sea and on land, besides their other combat capability roles, have got to be more economically viable than a lone, single-purpose submarine carrying multiple warheads permanently on patrol and requiring 3 other manned vessels to maintain the roulement.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I read somewhere that some of the RM cuts are being achieved by removing one Company from 40 and 45 Cdos. Not sure where the remaining 200 - 250 will come from.

Alan

9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Not sure about the Chinook replacement...thought it had just had a good refresh?

Stated Army cuts would be absorbed by undermanning meaning very few redundancies. Not sure how losing 450 would affect RM recruiting, not too much I would imagine. Haven't seen how they will make any cuts to Units either.

Never been a big fan of the carrier programme as it seems to be a bit of a bottomless pit, but I will leave the intricacies of naval warfare and power projection to our Naval comrades to comment on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    “Even private soldiers, sailors and airmen and women will be overlooked for promotion unless they actively demonstrate their support for troops who may not naturally feel comfortable in a military environment.“

The Compulsory Objectives Scheme is apparently driven by the need to recruit more troops from ethnic minority groups and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.”

Let’s see how bloody comfortable they feel when the rounds are coming down let alone in a nice cosy barracks. This isnt some bloody desk job it’s the bloody Armed Forces for the love of Thor’s cock!

We don’t NEED to recruit anyone from any groups. We recruit people who WANT to join.

I am seriously getting sick to the back teeth of this utter HORSE SH1T.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Caversham

Sitting here in the comfort of my lounge, with a glass/bottle of Rioja to hand with the thought of my indexed linked pensions going into my bank each month, I am somewhat comforted that, although I have less time on Planet Earth than what I have graced it, I do not have to deal with the cocks that are running the armed forces/industry/government, (delete as appropriate), these days.

The only concerns that I have are for my Grandsons who will have to deal with the legacy that these lunatics will be leaving them.

I am well and truly on TPA's side on this one. Bring on the revolution!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  12. Bellionaire679

Bellionaire679 Member

I remember when joining the forces was seen as “cool” and respected by my peers as I was growing . Now all I see on social media is anti military shite being sprouted about.

Even had funny looks at uni because of my aspirations.

I really do worry about our chances if we ever get sprung into another world war. Who’s *text deleted* fight it? The military we have left is in clip and keeps getting smashed with cuts and no younger generation wants to serve when their country needs them!

I really need to do a bit of social media spring cleaning -banghead-

13. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

That first paragraph doesn't appear to make any actual sense.

How do we recruit people who don't want to be in the military? Who actually does initially feel comfortable in a military environment? And is everybody expected to publicly campaign on behalf of minority groups?

Frankly, when I can muster the energy, I'm going to be appalled.

The man's an utter lesbian.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  14. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

In all seriousness. I was talking to a friend the other day. If there was a military coup in this country. Would the majority of the public protest it or welcome it?

I'm not sure anymore.

• Seen Seen x 1
  15. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Well at least last week the PC lovies got found out last week when their stop and search be all nice to people policies hit the fan in London. Shame 55+ people have had to pay with their lives but hey ho.

Unfortunately when this joker's inclusive policies get found out, there won't be much of a country left to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I wonder if that will be revisited, the new Russian method of delivering nukes must be a game changer. That's before they go live with their even newer delivery system the Satan 2 comes on line.

It might be that it's neither plane or sub that launches them in the future. Western experts say that the Satan 2 can hit anywhere on earth from one single launch point.

Maybe Corbyn is right, Trident isn't the future.

17. Bluebear

Bluebear Moderator

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just wondering if I dare comment on this thread; only claim I have for making a contribution is that I have a son in the RM and I do a lot of reading. To my way of thinking; the Armed Forces should be looking to recruit people who 'want' to be there, full stop! The life, looking at it as an outsider, is an acquired taste, you have to have a commitment to the requirements of the job; which are not always what the adverts on the tele would have you believe. Surely the policy should be to recruit the best people for the job; decisions made for political expediency are never going to produce the required outcome.
    I am not sure where modern warfare is going and the constant policy changing of those at the top make me feel that neither do they. I would be interested to know what Russia's policy on Military spending is.
    Oh well, back to the Commonwealth 100m final; a group of people who know what the requirements of their trade are and would get nowhere without the required skills to make it through. Long may it last!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. Caversham

I find it absolutely bizarre that not so many years ago the military would hound, prosecute, jail and discharge anyone who displayed any homosexual tendencies. Now, not only do we welcome them, and I do not have a problem with that, we are demonising those who do not, actively demonstrate their support for troops who may not naturally feel comfortable in a military environment.

As Private Fraser would say, "we're doomed Mr Mainwaring, we're all doomed!"

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

From what I have seen, they seem to be getting an awful lot of bang for their buck. A huge amount of capable equipment reaching their front line forces. They seem to be running it like a business, keeping costs low. Somehow they just keep delivering. Autonomous tanks are rumoured to being tested in Syria. They are on to developing their 6th gen fighter, their 5th gen is already being tested over Syria. Our 5th gen F35 isn't even operational yet, rumoured to have huge design issues but being rolled out anyway.

I don't know where all the money has gone. If you look back at what we used to have, it's a shocking decline and getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

The phrase to keep in mind should be 'objectively justified'. Every standard, every rule, every part of every course, needs to be objectively justified.

'It's always been done this way' or 'tradition' cannot be acceptable, for they will lead to lawsuits.

If everything is objectively justified, no one can reasonably have any gripes.