Featured Royal Marines: How to prepare your uniform YouTube

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Lurch, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    The Royal Marines YouTube channel has been kind enough to upload another useful playlist. This time, as the title suggests, it's about how to iron and fold your shirts and trousers. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuosRAmgaw1pmpaEwxCK8IEep7AAyw0Jq

1) How to iron PCS combat trousers
    2) How to iron a PCS combat shirt
    3) Hold to fold PCS shirt sleeves
    4) How to iron a Royal Marines Stone Shirt
    5) How to fold your Stone Shirt ready for a locker inspection

• Like x 7
    • Gucci Info x 3
    • Disagree. x 1
    • Seen x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Excellent stuff.

Anyone joining CTC who intends having a kip during their time in foundation would be well advised to watch these video clips and practice, practice, practice before they commence Recruit Training.

Those knowing how and being able to drive an iron before joining will reap the benefit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

I've just watched the 'ironing a stone shirt' vid. Ye gods but he makes a meal of it.

All that time and effort and he manages to cock it up by ironing creases into the shirt front while ironing the collar to make it lie flat.

I could do a better job when I was fourteen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It’s also bloody pointless. You get that stuff issued in RT.

You also get shown how to do it in RT.

Fair play to get to grips with an iron. But why demonstrate with PCS? Why not use a shirt or civvies that potential recruits will have to hand.
    And actually how did we manage before youtube?

We are risking being made a joke, like the numerous army and rif raf videos of how to do stupid stuff. The army one about how to make a bed is cringe and laughable.
    No one joins the corps to iron shirts. But it’s just an element you get through in RT.

If you get to week 13 and you are still referring to YouTube to iron your kit, you need to have a chat with yourself.

The corps need to wind it with the social media crap. Especially bloody twitter.

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Likewise we could ask what's the point of this forum for the last eleven years.

For those able to iron properly it does indeed seem overly simplistic and making a meal of it, but young people genuinely lose their job because they cannot iron their clothes. Ask any recruit in foundation whether they wished they had done anything different before joining and you'll find learning to iron in the top three every single time.

Most recruits will say that lack of sleep is by far the biggest hurdle in Foundation. Ask them what stopped them getting sleep.

Of course, most people quitting or getting the chop in the early days of training will never admit homesickness or inability to iron their kit affected their career curtailment.

A good example here: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/worried-already.169193/

Bottom line is you put the info out there. People can take it or leave it. One constant drip I heard when I joined was "The Careers Office never told me I had to clean stuff all the time". Truth is we do, but it depends if the person takes heed.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

With you on that but I think that the ironed in creases that I mentioned would have got a 'Do that again' from the training team. I figured a better demonstration was in order.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Must admit I'm not a big fan of FB, Twitter or Instagram, having spent a year working on he official recruiting social media channels - other than they do post some good pics. Most of their function is behind the scenes - answering one to one queries and it's incredibly labour intensive.

At least on here, one question and answer gets read by 1000 people.

I'll have to scrutinise the videos again. I like the principle and take the point about the kit being ironed - fair call.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

I think it's a fair effort. Admittedly I've only watched the first video and was surprised—possibly outraged—at the apparent lack of spray starch. :)

Anyone aged over fifteen should have a grip on dhobi skills. It's laughable to not have such a basic competence, regardless of career choice. Comparable to those unfortunate five-year-olds who rock up at school not having been toilet trained.

• Like Like x 1
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Apparently starch is old hat now!! Maybe the "Cardboard look" is out?? :)

I did however see a Bootneck whilst at CTC who's PCS was immaculate! Creases in his shirt sleeves, well ironed, and excellent trouser creases. He also sported a gentlemanly moustache.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The PCS shirts are utter gash aswell. Trousers too. The sooner we get back to the old style DPM stuff the better.

The shirts you have to cut all the Velcro out the sleeves to get a decent fold. And those stupid arm pockets with the huge stupid Velcro patches are horrendous. And you can’t fit anything in them and they catch on your daysack or Bergans when your putting them on and off. Can barely iron a decent crease in them aswell.
    The collar is crap, and covered with Velcro and the pockets are crap and Velcro. The old style shirts were far better, and especially so I the jungle.

I swear some officer must have shares in Velcro or something.

The trousers are gash too. The pockets always split and the map pockets are at that stupid angle. And that stupid bit of fabric over the buttons.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I always thought it was dece for a field shirt, seen as you are supposed to velcro the collar together like a neck guard so it protects open skin. In camp the CS95 style is better.

12. Chelonian

Splendid! Always a nice finishing touch.
    The old OG lightweight trousers were smart for general wear and okay in the field too. Not so good if set on fire though. :) One could press in razor sharp creases. Dug out this image from the 1980s:

RM_a.jpg

Image source: The Royal Marines 1956-84 by William Fowler.

• Like Like x 1
  13. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yep that's the one.

14. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Smock or a tailored UBAC is where it's at for a field shirt mate. Velcro ones are gash

15. Bellionaire679

Bellionaire679 Member

The army get issued the CS95 style MTP shirts now for barrack dress. The marines should do the same. Looks miles better

16. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

So, they're not very good then! :D:D:D

Alan

• Seen Seen x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Here's a short video about IMF, one of my worst parts of training!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I hate UBACS too. Those stupid arm pockets. I used to rock a t shirt, sweatshirt and smock.
    I had a shirt tailored to remove the buttons and add small zips on the sides of the pockets and added a hood. It was great for under body armour or wearing as a lightweight jacket.

19. Chelonian

Following a joint ex with the French 2ème REP in about 1980 many blokes—and at least one Officer—got their OG lightweights tailored to mimic the look of the much slimmer-fitting French para trousers. Think skinny jeans.

Another aneurysm risk for our RSM. :)

• Like Like x 2