Royal Marines Museum.

greenlid

Reaction score
Alright guys,

Thinking of going to the Royal Marines museum in Pompi, has anyone been before and if so is it any good.

Cheers, Alex.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Alex,

Last time I visited the Royal Marines Museum (3 years ago) I took 50 young musicians from the North West (by coach -we were accommodated overnight on HMS Bristol) & we joined the Royal Marines School of Music Band at the museum to hold a "music workshop" where the youngsters practised their music with RMBS tuition. The youngsters & Band made a recording on site & all got given a CD (digitally cleaned-up so it sounded brilliant) with their respective School Crest & the RM Band crest emblazoned on it.

A fantastic memory for all the youngsters, but well worth a visit to the Museum- I wandered off and have to say, to my shame, it was the first time I'd visited the museum, but thought it well worth the visit. The irony is that like HMS Victory, The Submarine Museum, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior, the Historic Dockyard, Explosion, etc., we all know it's there, but we seldom pay a visit.

Heartily recommended.

chew1e

Reaction score
yeah i went not long ago, it's really good! only managed to get round half of it before they closed because its a lot bigger than you first think! well worth a visit *text deleted*.

SJ55

Reaction score
I went down a couple of months ago and it was definitely worth the visit. Really boosted my Royal Marines History knowledge and the Medal room is amazing! Really friendly folk working there too!

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well I live about 35 miles away from it, and sadly I have never been, I think I should pop down there tho when I get payed.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
well I live about 35 miles away from it, and sadly I have never been, I think I should pop down there tho when I get payed.
It's worth the trip to Eastney in my opinion, you also start to realise what the Corps has achieved. The medal room is rather impressive.

smithy85

Reaction score
Funny you should mention it *text deleted* me and Tarod (also from this site) are probably heading down there this tuesday, we're both local so its not much effort for us to make, i've been there once before and if you're ever lacking in motivation or finding your training boring or tough then this place will definately boost your drive. its well worth the visit!

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yo smithy, can't come on tuesday got my medical, but if you wait till the 9th April I'll come down and I'll try and bring SamForrest as well, make a bit of a trip about it *text deleted*.

Yapper

Reaction score
I was last there 2 weeks ago, now isn't really the best time to be going... The Minstrel's Gallery is currently a building site due to restoration work and the downstairs exhibition area has been closed whilst they put in a new exhibition, so I'd recommend you leave it a few weeks and phone them to find out when all the building work will be finished.

As people have already said, it's an incredible place to visit though! To see the opulence of the the former RM Officers' Mess is amazing... The medal room is staggering, especially seeing the complete collection of ten Victoria Crosses awarded to the RM.

If when you buy your Admission ticket you make a 'gift aid donation' (doesn't cost you anything) they'll give you an Annual Entry Pass which gives you free admission for a year...

Joe B

Reaction score
yeah its a really good museum, you should get yourself down there, there is some really useful information and history. I did my trident work experience there in year 10 haha *text deleted*.

greenlid

Reaction score
Yeah may leave it a couple of weeks if they've got building work going on. Went to the Imperial war museum the other day, they had a good exibition on about UK Special Forces really interesting.