Royal Marines Museum

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, my Dad just handed me a pamphlet for the Royal Marines Museum, which looks really good, a must visit for potential Marines I feel. It's in Portsmouth, which may be considered a bit of a trek for some for you Northerners!

Some activity days, one of which is taking place in April called 'Commando Fitness' which I'll be going to I think!

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk

Enjoy!

If any of the admins feel this is appropriate to be sticky'd... :rock:

christomo

Reaction score
i got a leaflet this before off my afco when i went to say hello

i wish i could go, but its 2 far away

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
:O

Royal Marines frisbee!!!

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
great day out,

man on counter said "are you a marine young man"
i said "not yet sir but its a coming"
he said "well we will treat you as a marine then young man, free entry"
I said " well thats a touch ill buy a museum tour mag, that way im still contributing"
he said "good stuff enjoy the museum"

with that i yomped round and it was quality. saw hanna snell, what a bit of kit she is, saw loads of other cool stuff and then there was the recruit bit where theve got a wardrobe of how ours should be, a few rifles to pick up, a tunnel to crawl through (misses called me a *text deleted**text deleted**).

if you get a chance lads go its worth a laugh, and oh yeah, theres the hall with all the vc winnners and their medals in it, thats def worth a look, makes you feel massively proud and the motivation is unreal.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
great day out,

man on counter said "are you a marine young man"
i said "not yet sir but its a coming"
he said "well we will treat you as a marine then young man, free entry"
I said " well thats a touch ill buy a museum tour mag, that way im still contributing"
he said "good stuff enjoy the museum"

with that i yomped round and it was quality. saw hanna snell, what a bit of kit she is, saw loads of other cool stuff and then there was the recruit bit where theve got a wardrobe of how ours should be, a few rifles to pick up, a tunnel to crawl through (misses called me a *text deleted**text deleted**).

if you get a chance lads go its worth a laugh, and oh yeah, theres the hall with all the vc winnners and their medals in it, thats def worth a look, makes you feel massively proud and the motivation is unreal.

Not trying to put you down *text deleted*, but its free anyway. Does anyone *text deleted* go Remembrance Sunday.

This is what it involves:

Remember those who have fallen
9th November

Remember those who have given their lives for the peace and freedom enjoyed by our nation today.
A service will be held at 10.55am in the Museum grounds. Free entry is also provided to the Museum.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Will not be edit above sooo, sorry im wrong its not free, its only free for remembrance sunday.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Also someone plz dont ask this. one of my mates said to me, i might be at work if its a monday, what a dum arse!

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds Boss! I'l pop down there on a rest day and drag the misses

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i *text deleted* go too, wounds well good.

ninjamej

Reaction score
lads deffo worth visit quite bit of intresting stuff down there visted it on friday and u *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* i had to pay

lee87

Reaction score
yea it is good, went up there iwth a mate not long ago, and after them asking if im a marine or not, i mentioned i was preparing to be one, they also let me in free. :D was a good day out. well worth it, seeing as i only live round the corner from it the management told me im welcome to come by when everm if i want to find something out. :bud:

Necki

Reaction score
yea it is good, went up there with a mate not long ago, and after them asking if im a marine or not, i mentioned i was preparing to be one, they also let me in free. :D was a good day out. well worth it, seeing as i only live round the corner from it the management told me im welcome to come by when everm if i want to find something out. :bud:

Sounds good, the guys are pretty friendly there then?

I might have to go and have a visit sometime soon, especially since its only about 20 miles up the coast.

EDIT: Supposedly they have an "SA-80 simulator", has anyone tried this, if so is it any good?
(http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/onlineexhibitions/mrmc/index2.html)

jcooke

Reaction score
just went around the museum this weekend. Is really good! simulator was out of action, probably the most used exhibit mind *text deleted*

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Went yesterday with the gf... Very nice, got me and the gf in for free because im ex service, so saved a tenner there :)

Really enjoyable experience, Alot of old prisioner of war items on display, really interesting items, and the medal room was very smart indeed.

Spotted Frog

Reaction score
Went to the museum last sunday, spent 3 and a bit hours in there and only got half way round!! Its really interesting an I'll definately be going back in next couple of weeks to see the bits i missed.

Ralphy1507

Reaction score
Went on Sat with the Mrs.
She found it interesting and has now got more of a handle on what i'll be doing during training. Really good to see some of the history of the corps.

Hannah Snell! blindin dit.

yorkiemalone

Former RM - 20 Years
Reaction score
I will be there on Sunday 18th January....... If in doubt ask.. and I could be pointed out if you are there....

If you are there then find me and come up and introudce yourself

Yorkie

yorkiemalone

Former RM - 20 Years
Reaction score
Right ....... it is well worth while having a visit.

They now have a section which is brand new just put over to training...

Here are some of the quotes

2009_011844Eastney0047.jpg

2009_011844Eastney0050.jpg

2009_011844Eastney0072.jpg

And this to me sums up a lot of why we can do what we do.....

2009_011844Eastney0071.jpg

Yorkie

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Went today! Its bloody Miles away from anywhere same in pompey! *text deleted*!

I forgot I went when I was about 8/9 years old! the medal room was preety cool! like the model SA80 range, but for some reason i didnt hit any of the tragets?????and I'm sure I was pointing the rifle in the right direction!