Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Royal marines officer ranks

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Don't kill sean bean, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Don't kill sean bean

Don't kill sean bean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Have there been any Royal Marine officers that have surpassed the rank of major general, as Matthew Holmes and Gwyn Jenkins are currently major general and Charles Stickland was also Major General as Commandant General. Wondering if there is a limit to what can be achieved regarding to rank, or whether lieutenant general and higher are unattainable.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good question.

Not sure of the current answer to be honest, hopefully someone does.

I have a gut feeling there was a glass ceiling placed by the Navy Board, reducing the level of attainable RM Flag Ranks that may well have since been more recently removed. At the top, however, it won't be an exclusively RM post, I suspect.

3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    David Capewell went to 3* as commander joint operations. There is no reason a RM couldn't make it to Chief of Defence Staff; there is no ceiling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Don't kill sean bean

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    It will have to be a question for my liaison officer, hopefully he shall know, but thank you for your answer nonetheless.

5. Don't kill sean bean

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ah yes, I just looked and he reached the rank of lieutenant general, thank you for that.

6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Apologies typo...I meant to say there is no reason why a RM officer couldn't make CDS.

7. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

Yes, once you pass major general to full general you serve the MOD in positions out with 3 commando brigade, such as chief of defence staff (being the most obvious) once you have surpassed the rank for major general.

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

A piece of trivia about Major Generals in the Corps is that Derek Pounds, who joined the Corps in 1940 in 384 Squad, was awarded the King's Badge and over his 36 year career rose through the ranks to become Major General Royal Marines.

He wore the KB throughout his service, including his full General's uniform and remains the highest rank that a KB has achieved.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I edited post #3 for clarity.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@Caversham

Brig Salzano was similar if I remember rightly. Joined up as an OR, got KB, went UKSF, commissioned and ended up Commandant General.

Happy to be corrected, this is a dit I was spun over 10 years ago, mind.

11. Caversham

Any idea of timescale of when he went through RT? I have a list of every KB from 1918 and I've had a quick look around the 1980s to 1990s and can't see him listed. Also, there are a few photos of him around, but none show him with the KB.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Caversham

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  15. Illustrious

As said, happy to be corrected, obviously been fed some duff gen. I remember being in awe of the bloke, now he's just another officer to me :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  16. Caversham

I think I would sooner follow him than some of the clowns that were around in my time!

Alan

17. Caversham

He didn't reach Flag Rank, but the Sgt PW1 who took my Troop through training had under 5 years service in at the time. He passed out as a KB and was loaded straight onto a JCC, which he passed with distinction and was promoted Cpl without having served in a Unit!

He went onto become RSM of 45 Cdo and then went SD/SCC and retired as a Major. He was also awarded the BEM and bar during his service.
    Alan

• Like Like x 1
  18. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

General Gordon Messenger is the top man , was considered for CDS , but went to Army instead..no surprise there

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, I tend to think successive governments aren't too keen with RN or RM holding the post as CDS as historically they (RN) have had a tendency to publically tell government what they think rather than what they'd like to hear. :)

It's a political post and there are enough people out there who value their job more than their people.

20. Illustrious

That bloke has the charisma of damp plasterboard. He has absolutely *text deleted* all 'presence' and just comes across as though he's reading off a teleprompter.

Edited to add; and why the *text deleted* is he standing like a teacup!?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1