Royal Marines Officer

Shubz99

Reaction score
Was looking for a bit of guidance regarding the recruitment of officers. Hopefully, by the time i apply, i will have a degree under my belt. However, the requirements say you must also have 5 GCSE's. Whilst only having 2 would i still be accepted? as technically i would have a higher level of quals than what is required as it say only 72 ucas points required be it from a levels or as levels?
Thanks

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bottom line is, if you are scraping-in with the basics at GCSE and AS level, then it's worth bearing in mind the talent pool, on average, already have that at Other Rank (OR) level. 40% of RM ORs are qualified for Officer Entry and there's usually a handful of graduates (and higher) who elect to join as other rank, in each and every recruit troop.

This isn't to say that if you meet the basic entry requirements you aren't eligible or disadvantaged because of it, but the RM Officer cadre generally come from the top 5% of academic achievers.

I'd advise you have a telephone chat with your local AFCO sooner rather than later to discuss what is and isn't accepted in lieu of GCSEs (in particular) and what the minimum accepted score is at AS level because the degree will not eradicate the basic educational requirements.

Best o'luck.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You need a English , maths, and science based subjects besides your degree ( points) as a minimum to move forward without testing, a degree in fashion design for example would mean nothing!

Shubz99

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the info, ill give AFCO a ring for some clarity. Not the end of the world if there is no luck as i'm interested in joining up in the other ranks as well.
Thanks again.

Shubz99

Reaction score
You need a English , maths, and science based subjects besides your degree ( points) as a minimum to move forward without testing, a degree in fashion design for example would mean nothing!
That's helpful i'll look to see if there is a chance to take a science based gcse then. Yeah, definitely not got much interest in fashion :eek: