Royal Marines officer

tom-3426

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Done my VJPFT for officer application and was wondering with this year being so competitive if you failed to gain a place in the September batch. Would you re-apply for officer next year if you failed to make the cut this year? Switch application to commando? Or try going into the army as an officer? I've just finished uni and feel like time is ticking on.

ZincOxide97

Reaction score
Depends what matters more to you being a commando or being an officer? If it's the latter apply to sandhurst right now and go through the process and a alternate choice because there's no 2022 batch.

If it's to be a commando go OR. Worth bearing in mind the AACC is a thing and looking at RA and RE for a green lid once through Sandhurst. If you're a good officer you can be fairly certain your chain of command will put you on one if you're fit enough and a good egg.

I was in a similar position to you put of uni waited around making up my mind and now I'm 24 going for OR because I'm to old to be a YO and want to be a commando more than an officer.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Every year officers are super competitive not just this year. The vast majority of people who apply don't make it first time or even second. A lot of people pass every thing bit don't get selected. You may get put on a reserve list if any one drops put before the start.
Also yes you can change your application to marine at any time. You can also have an officer application running at the same time as being at ctc. I've had a boss who finnished training as a marine then 6 months later was down at ctc again as a young officer. Ice also been told of one guy who finnished training on the Friday and started officer training in the Monday.

r_yh__n

Reaction score
So, for somebody like me who wishes to be an officer, I could apply as an officer, but do Commando training as well, and when there is a space available, I could be given officer training?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@r_yh__n , No .!! It is far from that simple, it may read like that on paper, but in reality, the above very, very rarely happens, absolutely do not place any faith/reliance in the above happening - I am aware of only 3 in the last 15 years!.

Make your choice and stick with it, commit to that route, and if RMO is what you want and that falls through, then consider OR route - A senior Corps Commission as not as available as you may think as the limited places are also very competitive also while it is a set way of gaining a commission for guys in the ranks, for which you need to be a Cp with 2 annual reports, so at least 6 years service before you can even consider and or be considered for it if not more- but most are Sgt so looking at 8 years in service or more.

Stroll147

Reaction score
Depends what matters more to you being a commando or being an officer? If it's the latter apply to sandhurst right now and go through the process and a alternate choice because there's no 2022 batch.

If it's to be a commando go OR. Worth bearing in mind the AACC is a thing and looking at RA and RE for a green lid once through Sandhurst. If you're a good officer you can be fairly certain your chain of command will put you on one if you're fit enough and a good egg.

I was in a similar position to you put of uni waited around making up my mind and now I'm 24 going for OR because I'm to old to be a YO and want to be a commando more than an officer.
is there no 22 batch? My recruiter has said there is...

tom-3426

Reaction score
what are the minumum terms of service? Say you get through training. What do you have to commit too?