Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Royal Marines or paras?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by smackabear, Dec 24, 2017.

1. smackabear

smackabear Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hey lads, uset go on this all the time, but 1st time in quite a while now

Anyway made it into RT training and got to week 23 before getting discharged because I failed exercise voilent entry 3 times (any questions about that feel free). I was going to try out as a navy medical and go back to do an all arms course To get my green lid, however over the past month I know what I want in life and that is in a light infantry role.

At the moment I can’t decided to go into the paras or go back into Marines training.

Paras would be a new exiciting experience and somewhat of a clean start

Marines however is what I know I *text deleted* be apart, lifestyle, the way it’s composed and the training I found to professional and right way of doing things. To be honest I want my old life back up lympstone (crazy right) never went a day without thinking about handing my chit in.

What do you guys reckon? Go for something new which I might not enjoy and relive the past and hope I pass out

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If marines is what you want, hang in for them. If the corps means that much to you, then you owe it to yourself to join.

If being a part of a skilled infantry reg is what you want over the beret then maybe paras is for you. But don’t think it will be easier or less work.

Have a think, you probably already know the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Xerath

Xerath Venerated Contributor

You'll always have that 'what if' in the back of your mind if you join the Paras.

I originally applied for the RM back in 2014, almost 4 years later in the Army and I still have the same feeling haha. It never goes away ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    You are in the Guards. Be proud of that. Also remember the Guards Parachute Platoon is recruiting...;)
    And remember there are loads of intensive tri-service routes you can volunteer for after a period of time. You can always do more and be more if you grab it bro!

• Like Like x 2
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Don't make the same mistake I made. Smash your chit in, and transfer to the Royals. You should have enough experience now, to know the score. Do it. Or live in regret forever.

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

True!! But a green lid is the only Beret that's "earned" apart from SF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  7. wellmemedmyboy

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Maroon for P-Coy... and the Guards Parachute Platoon Beret is ally:D;)
    Slightly off Khaki for STA Patrols...
    Possibly some others but there are many routes to truly arduous and professional soldiering in my opinion. Just *text deleted* choose the best for you.
    @Xerath if you are looking for something ask your pl commander for a meeting to volunteer to go Guards Parachute Platoon....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mattys

Mattys Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Hey what was the reason for failing violent entry 3 times? I don’t really know to much about that exercise but would be interested to know how or what it was you failed on?

9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The Parachute Regiment awards the Maroon beret after completing P Coy at week 20 I Think? There's still another 6 weeks of training left, and the DAOR period still active.

The Royal Marines preliminary award the Green Beret on successful completion of "The Commando tests" recruits still are not allowed to wear the Beret outside the Grots.

The Green Beret is presented officially on the very last day of training. And only then is the Royal Marines Commando allowed to wear it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  10. wellmemedmyboy

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    No idea what week it is mate! I agree and disagree with you :D;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

What unit are you going for mate?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I’ve heard that what paras really covert is their wings. Am I right in thinking you can get a beret for the maroon machine without ever jumping?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  13. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Apparently due to the lack of aircraft, it is not unknown for those finishing P Coy to join their Unit without completing their BPC.

I'm sure that a couple of the guys on here, who are in RT for the Paras will confirm or otherwise.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Xerath

Xerath Venerated Contributor

The green backing comes off your beret once you've passed P Coy, so the beret itself has nothing to do with the jumps course. You only get your wings once you've done your jumps at battalion, though this can take up to a year so I've heard

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm years out of date (in more ways than one) but I wore my maroon beret (no green badge backing back in the day) from Week Five onwards in RT. Although it wasn't the prize at the end of the race we were no less proud to wear it. As were the attached WRACs who also wore it with their own cap badges from the early 1980s onwards. :)

I completely agree with your suggestion Arny that if one has an itch it should be scratched. Life is inevitably littered with compromises but we should all be very picky about which compromises we choose to engage with.

Go for it @smackabear Three previous fails at a criterion Ex obviously means that you will have to be very clear in your own mind that you will overcome that particular hurdle and also convince your AFCO. Best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    The maroon beret is worn by all personnel in 16 Air Assault Brigade and is not linked to either P Coy or jumps. There is a large backlog of personnel trying to get onto their jumps course and as such unless you are in a post within the brigade that requires you to be para trained (not as many as you'd think) it is unlikely you will get a place on jumps and earn your wings. Those personnel in Para Regt will complete jumps and earn their wings, but as has already been stated, it may take a while due to airframes etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kez1996

Kez1996 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    In my opinion you should give the marines another go joining the paras will only leave you with regret

• Like Like x 1
  18. smackabear

smackabear Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You can fail thatexercise people On a lot of things, blue on blue, failing yomps and being very bad at CQB.

I myself failed the 1st time because I ran in someones arcs within an all round defence, fairly serious, however I knew people how shot at friendlys and still passed that exercise. There was some other reasons but I felt my CPL failed me ingeneral, which was fair because I had a stinker of an exercise second empire. I never felt seen off by him because even I agreed that I wasn’t ready At that time to progress

My last attempt felt mistreated massively, because I had a few section commanders warnings and troop commanders in the past my new section commander decided he was going to fail me and told me before the exercise that he was going to fail me.

My advice and what I know and heard baptist run can be a tricky one for some, only ever heard of 1 person getting discharged because of that exercise. However violent entry is like the phase 2 Baptist run, usually lose 1/4 troop. Final ex is just a conformation. biggest,most important and hardest exercise is violent entry.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  19. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Get your head down.

That's a lot of big talk about final ex for someone that's never done it.

Final ex is by far the hardest exercise, and I'd imagine the reason less get 'discharged' because of it, is due to the fact that everyone on it has passed every other exercise...

A lot of lads smash training without ever getting a section commanders warning, let alone a troop commanders...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattys

Mattys Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ty for the details response appreciate it!

When you say you have section and troop commando warnings do you get these from just failing certain things such as admin or not putting in the effort on exercise or is it for more serious things you receive these?

Least you had 3 goes at it I expect a lot of people would just give up after the 1st fail!

Was there any chance you could be huntered after 3 fails until u eventually pass due to how far your in training or is it an outright discharge after 3 fails to then come back a later date?