Royal Marines & Parachute Regiment

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You only get para pay if you're in a job role which requires you to parachute. For example as a bootneck:

SFSG
Recce troop whilst in lead commando role
SRS

Paras obviously get the pay whenever they're in a normal battalion.

It's around 170 a month on top of your wages.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You only get para pay if you're in a job role which requires you to parachute. For example as a bootneck:

SFSG
Recce troop whilst in lead commando role
SRS

Paras obviously get the pay whenever they're in a normal battalion.

It's around 170 a month on top of your wages.
Conversely, for Royal Marines, whilst serving on a warship, or operationally deployed, there are no food or accommodation charges (average £140 per month saving),

There's also:

Longer Separation Allowance (LSA) which is to support and improve retention by compensating those personnel experiencing separation. As a general principle, it is paid at increasing amounts (£7-£30 a day) in order to target those who experience the most separation throughout their service. Payment of the allowance recognises the disadvantages of separation caused when return to the duty station at weekends/stand-down is precluded by either the nature or location of the duty. This is paid at £210 a month after the first six months of a seagoing draft.

Additionally, there's Get You Home (Seagoers) (GYH(S)) which is to support and improve retention by reducing the impact of separation on seagoing personnel. It achieves this by assisting Service personnel, who have the opportunity to return to their qualifying address from a UK port, with the costs of their travel within the UK for up to ten return trips a year. The daily rate is between £1 and £10 a day (£30-300 per month). If you live 250 miles from your ship's base, you'll get £240 a month extra, etc.

Then there's Seagoing Local Overseas Allowance (SLOA) is to contribute towards the necessary additional cost of day-to-day living overseas encountered by Service personnel serving on board HM Ships deployed outside UK waters, when granted shore leave overseas.

Expenses and Allowances: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...gulations-for-expenses-and-allowances-jsp-752

Rover

Reaction score
Conversely, for Royal Marines, whilst serving on a warship, or operationally deployed,

On one deployment in sunny climes alongside a certain Army unit their pay section could not understand how much more we received in ‘local allowances’.:confused: About three times more than they did!o_O
We lost them when we mentioned the ‘milk allowance’ due to offset the fumes of working with canoes in confined spaces.;) Fumes from the camouflage paint we had to use.:cool::)

GazMMM

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When I was at 42 in 96 a guy (Mne B*text deleted**) from K coy got kicked out of the Corp for being a knobber. He then joined the Parachute regiment. He was only required to do P coy. Next time I saw him was in Afghanistan in 2005. I had a Para in my recruit troop that had served with 3 para. He was required to do the 32 weeks at CTC. He never passed out though through injury. I joined RECCE in 2001 and did my wings course in August. We would jump with the Parachute battalions as training sometimes. I made some good mates for life from Para reg. Top blokes. Best I’ve ever worked with.

Last edited by a moderator:

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When I was at 42 in 96 a guy (Mne B*text deleted*text deleted*) from K coy got kicked out of the Corp for being a knobber. He then joined the Parachute regiment. He was only required to do P coy. Next time I saw him was in Afghanistan in 2005. I had a Para in my recruit troop that had served with 3 para. He was required to do the 32 weeks at CTC. He never passed out though through injury. I joined RECCE in 2001 and did my wings course in August. We would jump with the Parachute battalions as training sometimes. I made some good mates for life from Para reg. Top blokes. Best I’ve ever worked with.
Don’t they say, despite the banter, that a RM would rather have a Para watching his back than anyone else and vice versa?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Don’t they say, despite the banter, that a RM would rather have a Para watching his back than anyone else and vice versa?
From a vice versa perspective the answer is yes.

In the 1970s in NI it was a comfort to replace a Royal Marines unit when its tour ended because everything would be squared away. The local community would already be aware that misbehaviour brought consequences. :)