Royal Marines selection vs British Army selection.

What selection is more difficult, British Army or Royal Marines?

• British Army

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Royal Marines.

Votes: 58 92.1%

• Total voters
G

Guest User

Hey all.

I have been looking in to the British Army selection process and the Royal Marines selection process lately.
I personally wanted to know which of them is more difficult, and if, in what terms. Please note, that I am very interested in combat roles such as Infantry,Paratroopers,Commando units etc, so I looked in to what is required for combat units and checked other roles only very briefly.

So far I figured that the British Army seems to have a more general selection overall, meaning: They seem to be more interested in getting it done quickly and you settled in to your role.

- Fitness: British Army selection seems to be not difficult in terms of fitness, at least not when I compare it to what you need to do when applying for the Royal Marines.
- Mentality: British Army does not seem to have very detailed and intense interview asking you to solve problems in a scenario, or talk about every part of your life in a very detailed manner.
- Choice & Points: Both, British Army and Royal Marines offer different roles ( as far as I know ), while you only need to score like 30 points in the British Army BARB test to be able to apply for an Infantry role in a regiment like for example the rifles, the RMC seems to have more advanced maths and logical questions. I have looked in to the tests they offer on the official British Army website and the official Royal Marines website.

Please note that I have NOT taken part in any British armed forces selection process so far, the intel I've gathered is purely based on my judgemental level as a civilian.

What is your opinion about it? Did someone of you maybe took part in both selections? Where do you draw a difference? What is more difficult or more easy when it comes to intelligence,fitness and interviewing?

I am really looking forward to some professional feedback / experiences.

Cheers.

PS: If you find any grammar mistakes, feel free to correct me. I am always open to correction and learning something new.

G

Guest User

Why would they?

Because they had to run 1.5 miles within 9:40 minutes?

This only is one part of the selection process, in fact.. mostly a matter of preparation.

Thanks for your answer :)

Cheers.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Why would they?

This only is one part of the selection process, in fact.. mostly a matter of preparation.

Cheers.
I will leave it for others to expand on it, but if you think that training for the Parachute Regiment, including P Coy is easy then I suggest you may need to do some more research.

Alan

G

Guest User

I will leave it for others to expand on it, but if you think that training for the Parachute Regiment, including P Coy is easy then I suggest you may need to do some more research.

Alan

Please note that my thread is not about the TRAINING, it is about the SELECTION PROCESS.
With selection process, I refer to the process you need to under go when wanting to join the British Army or the Royal Marines.

I am sorry if I did not make myself very clear, English is not my mother-tongue.

Thank you for your advise :)

Cheers.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
The Royal Marines and parachute Regiment selection process, as far as physical criteria goes, is roughly the same. I would however say there is more emphasis on Cv with the paras, and more emphasis on upper body strength with the Marines.

The standard Infantry selection is considerably easier than both the above. With a general lowering of standards in comparison with the para selection.

I believe you still have to undertake a 1.5m and still carry out gym tests, but the standard for the Paras will be higher across all areas.

BoxSwallow

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Please note that my thread is not about the TRAINING, it is about the SELECTION PROCESS.
Why would they?

The Paras don't just have to run the 1.5 in <9:40 minutes they also have the PRAC (where they are pretty much expected to have their 1.5 <9:00 for a good pass) as part of their selection which is the Para equivalent to the PRMC (I think :confused:)
I personally when looking at how difficult the selection is for RM vs British Army would Separate the Paras from the rest of the Infantry in the British Army simply because the selection is different.

Edit: Arny beat me to it and puts it far more simply haha :D

G

Guest User

The Royal Marines and parachute Regiment selection process, as far as physical criteria goes, is roughly the same. I would however say there is more emphasis on Cv with the paras, and more emphasis on upper body strength with the Marines.

The standard Infantry selection is considerably easier than both the above. With a general lowering of standards in comparison with the para selection.

I believe you still have to undertake a 1.5m and still carry out gym tests, but the standard for the Paras will be higher across all areas.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

One more question to you though: If you say " lowering standards " does this refer to physical only?

Cheers.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Have a search then for PRAC, which is similar in content to PRMC. There are several members of this site who have attempted Para selection and will be better placed to give you an informed answer, but whilst the content may differ in places, it's still very demanding.

Alan

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your answer.

One more question to you though: If you say " lowering standards " does this refer to physical only?

Cheers.
It all depends what role in the Army you wish to attempt selection for really? If it's Infantry, it'll be more physically oriented anyway. You'll have an interview and maybe some form of team building exercise, but any form of Infantry selection will be physically biased, because that's what is needed to be successful in your trained role.

The difference between the Marines paras and Infantry is reflected in their Inital selection process.

G

Guest User

It all depends what role in the Army you wish to attempt selection for really? If it's Infantry, it'll be more physically oriented anyway. You'll have an interview and maybe some form of team building exercise, but any form of Infantry selection will be physically biased, because that's what is needed to be successful in your trained role.

The difference between the Marines paras and Infantry is reflected in their Inital selection process.

I see.

Well, I am very physically fit, I believe I won't have to worry about that. But I find it very interesting to see the differences between each Branch and Role.

Thank you.

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Potential Paras do ADSC followed by PRAC which is very similar to PRMC. That by no means is "easy"! Both go beyond physical fitness and the 'state of mind' slogan could very well be used for both. These two selection course are a different beast to ADSC.

@Guest User no matter what role you go for don't go in with attitude of believing you don't have to worry about your physical fitness... You can never be fit enough ;)

G

Guest User

Potential Paras do ADSC followed by PRAC which is very similar to PRMC. That by no means is "easy"! Both go beyond physical fitness and the 'state of mind' slogan could very well be used for both. These two selection course are a different beast to ADSC.

@Guest User no matter what role you go for don't go in with attitude of believing you don't have to worry about your physical fitness... You can never be fit enough ;)

Thank you.

I 100% agree. That's why I am always working out and trying to challenge my physical fitness every day.

I was just trying to say that I did the physical fitness tests they do at the ADSC, I did them at home. Sit-Ups,Press-ups,Jerry-can test, beep test and the 1.5 mile run. And in all of them I scored a very high score compared to what they call standard.

But you are as I've said right. Never underestimate, never stop working on yourself and never give up.

Cheers.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, both PRAC and PRMC are fairly similar. The selection process for other infantry regiments is lower because they obviously need as many blokes as possible, so fitness standards have to be lower unfortunately.

Soldiering standards, however, are not lowered

G

Guest User

As others have said, both PRAC and PRMC are fairly similar. The selection process for other infantry regiments is lower because they obviously need as many blokes as possible, so fitness standards have to be lower unfortunately.

Soldiering standards, however, are not lowered

Talking about recruiting.

Is there some type of statistic for Royal Marines and British Army? I would like to know the fail and pass rate each year.

& thank you for your answer. I appreciate it.

Cheers.

BoxSwallow

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Is there some type of statistic for Royal Marines
If you have a look in the PRMC Results section you can see the average pass rate % or every individual PRMC (I think on average it's about 50% pass rate for just PRMC)

G

Guest User

I'm assuming the word humble isnt in your dictionary.

You sound like your under estimating the process. Physical fitness is only part of it.

Check my comment above the two previous ones. I was not trying to underestimate anything.

Yes you are right, physical fitness is not everything.

Cheers.

Shadow Frog

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Im in the selection process *text deleted* for the Paras (British army) so hope I can help. First of all the 1.5mile time (9.40) is the required standard BUT, the Paras DO NOT want any fellow recruit anywhere near that 9.40 time! To make a good impression it must be a sub 9min or at least 9.10. And in all of the other elements of the selection process The paras are looking for higher marks than the rest of the infantry regiments. There looking for intelligent, self motivated, physical and mental robust individuals.

Ps- No one has completed both selection process for the two regiments, so I doubt you're get the answer your looking for.

G

Guest User

I'm in the selection process *text deleted* for the Paras (British army) so hope I can help. First of all the 1.5mile time (9.40) is the required standard BUT, the Paras DO NOT want any fellow recruit anywhere near that 9.40 time! To make a good impression it must be a sub 9min or at least 9.10. And in all of the other elements of the selection process The paras are looking for higher marks than the rest of the infantry regiments. There looking for intelligent, self motivated, physical and mental robust individuals.

Yeah, this is the same thing I thought. You always have to be a bit better than the cut they expect you to have officially.

But this would be my goal with everything. If I join infantry, I will try to run 9:20 rather than just 12:45. Same goes for all other physical tests they put you in to.

Mentally I believe, you only can give your best.

100% Agree there :)

Thank you for your answer. Very helpful!