Royal Marines training centre closure blow for Poole

Discussion in 'RM Operational News' started by GreyWing, Jun 16, 2013.

1. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

2. j0b006

j0b006 Troll

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    They've moved them to a new base top of the range state of the art. It's all good :D

3. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    For the RM yes, but likely a significant dent for the local economy in Poole.

Geek

• Like Like x 2
  4. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Yep and a Royal pain in the *text deleted**text deleted* for the lads having to work in the dockyard.

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

I have read somewhere, think it was the latest Globe and Buster, that Poole is no longer a RM asset and has become a Special Forces base. No surprise there, but anyone who had unrestricted access there, such as the SCNOs' Mess, has now had that right rescinded and they have to obtain permission from their SF colleagues.

No more PUs for the RMA and former Seniors?!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rover

Rover Moderator

I would say that Poole has been a SF base for some time. I would also point out that the Special Boat Service is still listed as a Royal Marines unit.

Nor has there been unrestricted access. Depending on what type of ID you can provide and you are on the data base depends on where you are allowed.

7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Just tried to find the relevant article, but Sod's law says that is the one that's missing! I'm pretty certain that it was in the last issue in the "Around the Messes" section, whereby people that used it, such as former seniors and the RMA, were told that their current passes would no longer get them access, because it was an SF base.

I'll keep on looking!

Alan