Royal Marines underwear

AmyDanielle

Reaction score
What are Royal Marines starting basic triNing meant to take with them to lympstone? what underwear are they allowed to take? The kit list says “underwear must be dark in colour, of an appropriate fabric and design commensurate with use throughout Initial Training and suitable to withstand The rigours of the robust and demanding training environment. Boxer shorts and thongs are unsuitable for physical training.“ so what does that mean... *text deleted*. Does it mean he can pretty much take anything but thongs or boxers hahhah . Would a trunk style be okay to take or what?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What are Royal Marines starting basic triNing meant to take with them to lympstone? what underwear are they allowed to take? The kit list says “underwear must be dark in colour, of an appropriate fabric and design commensurate with use throughout Initial Training and suitable to withstand The rigours of the robust and demanding training environment. Boxer shorts and thongs are unsuitable for physical training.“ so what does that mean... *text deleted*. Does it mean he can pretty much take anything but thongs or boxers hahhah . Would a trunk style be okay to take or what?
Cycling shorts or under armour type shorts.

It’s mostly to stop chaffing. You could get away with boxers on camp. It’s mostly for phys and being in the field.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not cheap but super great if you don't want to wear two layers (underwear + compression shorts aka cycling short. I found it wearing just UA compression shorts can be uncomfortable as they have a different cut around the balls' area. The below model is long so you won't get chaffing.)
Under Armour Tech Boxers 23 cm (there is also a shorter version, not related to your carrot's size)
If you sign up for UA's newsletter you get 15% off (works out £12.75 apiece)!

Last edited:

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I can attest to the glories of underarmour. I've used them exclusively for over 12 years since buying a few pairs after a particularly uncomfortable experience during recruit training. I've never looked back, or scoffed at the money spent.

Pastafarian

Reaction score
I have had to deal with all kinds of chafing through loads of climbing trips, long, multi week expeditions and training sessions and have become a sports underwear connoisseur : obviously, avoid cotton like the plague - "Step 1" underwear (bamboo plus pouch) is quite good (they size up small), but the best by far in my experience is SAXX. Not cheap. But bloody superb. It is the Dogs.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After reading Step One’s website I couldn’t resist ordering one. Free shipping and if you don’t like it you can keep it and they will refund you. Also whoever was in charge of writing their FAQ is a legend, it’s hilarious! :D