Royal Marines vs British Army

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
If i could re do it id never have joined infantry. I wish i picked a corps. Id strongly advise to anyone over army infantry. Retention and sign off rates speak volumes
Nothing much changed there in 20 years then.

RobFOB

Reaction score
@westphili If I may, what attracts you to the Royal Marines or British Army rather than the Irish Defence Forces? I don't know too much about them so forgive me if there's an obvious answer!

westphili

Reaction score
@westphili If I may, what attracts you to the Royal Marines or British Army rather than the Irish Defence Forces? I don't know too much about them so forgive me if there's an obvious answer!
the Irish Defense forces are embarrassingly underfunded and undermanned they also seem to do little in the way of interesting tours and deployments
when the storm Emma hit ireland there recently the Defence forces where sent to the local hospital where my dad workes as an electrician to clear snow. they had a snow plow but wernt insured to use it on hospital property so it just sat there they were also only issued 10 shovels between the 30 of them because that was deemed sufficient.
Stupid stuff like that puts me off

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
the Irish Defense forces are embarrassingly underfunded and undermanned they also seem to do little in the way of interesting tours and deployments
when the storm Emma hit ireland there recently the Defence forces where sent to the local hospital where my dad workes as an electrician to clear snow. they had a snow plow but wernt insured to use it on hospital property so it just sat there they were also only issued 10 shovels between the 30 of them because that was deemed sufficient.
Stupid stuff like that puts me off
That sounds exactly like something an infantry unit would do 100%

westphili

Reaction score
That sounds exactly like something an infantry unit would do 100%
Hey as your ex army infantry I thought I’d bust ask, when you were in infantry did you get many interesting deployments or foreign trips off excercises and stuff ?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Hey as your ex army infantry I thought I’d bust ask, when you were in infantry did you get many interesting deployments or foreign trips off excercises and stuff ?
I think he's currently serving ???

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Im still in. Not many foreign ones but many lovely trips to salisbury/otterburn etc. Given there arent tours we just keep busy doing that.

Honestly if your thinking of the army go for a corps. Youll gain more quals, you arent really missing anything squadding wise and your promotion will be faster and alot easier.

Im thinking of transferring myself considering im not going to sign off

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still in. Not many foreign ones but many lovely trips to salisbury/otterburn etc. Given there arent tours we just keep busy doing that.

Honestly if your thinking of the army go for a corps. Youll gain more quals, you arent really missing anything squadding wise and your promotion will be faster and alot easier.

I'm thinking of transferring myself considering I'm not going to sign off

RM transfer?

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If i could re do it id never have joined infantry. I wish i picked a corps. Id strongly advise to anyone over army infantry. Retention and sign off rates speak volumes
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but is this still the case?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score

It really depends on what you are seeking from a career in the Army. There is a difference between being a soldier and being an infanteer. The key is to research and understand what roles are available within your chosen regiment or corps.

Plenty of discussion over on www.Paras.uk regarding what a career in the infantry can offer.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm stating the obvious here but it was one person's experience. I'm not suggesting that it's incorrect but that a broad spectrum of opinions should be sought in order to make an informed decision.

Some aspects of the job are boring and tedious; just like every other job on the planet.

When I enlisted back in the day my CA was a REME NCO. He was horrified that I even contemplated PARA when I could learn a trade in... REME. :)

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Likewise I know someone who left RAMC phase two to join The Grenadier Guards (still serving nearly 13 years later) and also know people who have transferred out of the infantry to pursue a career as a CMT. It comes down to your own expectations and circumstances.

If you want to join the Army to get out in the field, train on a multitude of different weapon systems and generally conduct infantry tasks then joining a Corps won’t cut it for you. Equally if you join the infantry with dreams of being an electrician or vehicle mechanic then it won’t be for you. This is why a good understanding of the various roles will help you.

Ask yourself what attracts you to the Army in the first place, visit their career pages, speak to those with experience, ask questions and form a judgement.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Certain things in the army absolutely baffle me but as above it really depends what you want from you’re career. Army infantry from what I’ve heard is you go on constant excercises, get minimal quals to leave with and treated like a child (from what I’ve heard), few lads that I done my trade course with find it hilarious when they are hand digging some hole to live in when they are in the diggers with there heating blasting(yes they do help..... for a crate). If it’s a full career you’re after I’d definitely recommend going to the marines top end soldiering and all that goes with it and realistic hope of ops down the line. If you’re looking at say a short to mid term career I’d recommend getting a solid trade in the army that you gets you a good job upon leaving. Nobody can make the choice but you really and it all comes down to what you want from it age, location, family life all play a part.

Latest posts

New Threads