Royal Marines

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, Im David im 16 ad im currently training for the Royal Marines.i run every night about 8-9 miles *text deleted* been doin weights pull ups, press ups , sit ups, ect. has ay1 got any tips or anything?? also i need to know the minium hight u can join the Royal Marines thanks

DavidB

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unless your a very experienced runner id deffinatly cut down on the running right away mate. Last thing you want to do is get injured before PRMC or RT. You will be fine,and see good results with 4 runs a week. A couple of 4/5 milers and then some sprint training.

Even in Recruit Training,you wont run 9 miles. Its all about shorter,faster runs for quite a while,espeically for PRMC.

If you want to stay active everyday,cross train. Swim,cycle, row. Remeber your body needs time to recover, so even though you may feel ok now, in a few weeks you will no doubt get run down,or hit a brick in the road and not improve.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I had the impression he was telling a 'porky', professional runners, marathon runners etc will be doing this much running in a week, around 50 - 60 miles worth a week.

But if you are doing this then I take off my corned beef hat to you, *text deleted*.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
8 or 9 miles! how did you measure this mate? bloody impressive but abit too good if you know what i mean no offence...:blink:

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, Im David im 16 ad im currently training for the Royal Marines.i run every night about 8-9 miles *text deleted* been doin weights pull ups, press ups , sit ups, ect. has ay1 got any tips or anything?? also i need to know the minium hight u can join the Royal Marines thanks

DavidB

If you are doing this when I take my tin foil hat of to you.

But really, learn to spell and the minimum hight is 1.51 meters, I think.

lharlowl

Reaction score
Don't think there is anything wrong with the long distance runs if you can do them at a good pace, but only do them every now and again to maintain you stamina and like others have said concentrate on the shorter faster ones. With regard to other suggestions, do something like circuit training at a gym 3 times a week. I go boxing myself which involves doing similar things (along with the joy of being punched in the face *text deleted*) but obviously this is not to everyones taste.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The longest run ive done is 8.5 miles.And i actually found it quite a bit easier compared to a balls out 3 miler. I ran at a steady pace,maybe 7.30/8 min miles. I could do that all the time,but it wouldnt help with my fitness as much as specific runs would. 1.5/3 milers at quick pace.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
But wouldn't longer runs help cardiovascular wise?

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I had the impression he was telling a 'porky', professional runners, marathon runners etc will be doing this much running in a week, around 50 - 60 miles worth a week.

But if you are doing this then I take off my corned beef hat to you, *text deleted*.

No sorry i do 8-9 one day uperbody next and so on i have 2 rests a week aswell im not liein honestly why would i lie on a forum its not *text deleted* prove *text deleted**text deleted* in my PRMC is it

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough mate. You will probably see better results swapping a couple of runs for shorter,faster ones though. If you still want to run 5 days a week,make sure you have variety. Hill sprints,Fartlek,Interval,Long etc

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough mate. You will probably see better results swapping a couple of runs for shorter,faster ones though. If you still want to run 5 days a week,make sure you have variety. Hill sprints,Fartlek,Interval,Long etc

Will do thanks

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Furthest I've ever ran was about 12 miles last year, after say 7 or 8 miles I just went into autopilot and didn't think about it, the tiredness in the legs for me disapeared around the 8 mile mark, started to get cramp in my arse cheeks though near the end of it, wasn't nice!

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Short intense/fast runs are more beneficial than long slow ones. Meaning, a best effort balls out 3 miler is more beneficial to you than running 8 miles very slowly. :cool::cool:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Min height is 3 foot 2

That means Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy & their mates can join.:wink:

At risk of being a pedant, the minimum height is actually 151.5cm

The reason for this, for those that are curious, is because of damage control considerations aboard a warship. If you're shorter than this, you cannot reach the top hinged clip on a water-tight door & could therefore jeopardise ship safety.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
they've thought of everything! i went for a 4 miles run today longest distance to date as im workin up to 6 miles ran at a steady pace with roughly half a mile of it being up hill. at the end found i wasn't out of breath and could probaly of continued for another two or three miles so i was well chuffed :cheesy: but 8-9 miles is madness! *text deleted* nice thou i am in envy:laugh: