Royal Navy/ Army recruitment times.

gingejordan

Reaction score
For my course at college we have to list second and third job choices and research them. Just wondered if anyone is currently joining either the army or navy could tell me the current average application time?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Navy varies between 14-24 months depending on trade.

gingejordan

Reaction score
Thanks, is it any quicker for you as you can skip a few elements of it?

navy226

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i also have a application in the run with the Army in case i don't meet some criteria with the RM and they said 6 months , not sure if that's regiment affected as in who needs more people they place them on Basic earlier or such or if its different for Overseas Candidates like myself .

I have Royal Irish , Irish Guards , and Parachute Regiment as my 3 choices and they said 4 to 6 months from touching down in the U.K , Hope it helps!

Ocean's 6

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you're fit enough when you walk in to the AFCO the time it takes filling in the application to getting a phase 1 training date is around 3-5 months

- Medical forms is around 3 weeks to clear
- Pre ADSC 1-2 weeks after medical
- Interviews can vary. Some people I knew had their interviews 2-3 weeks after their Pre ADSC. I had both of mine in 4 days after I passed.
- ADSC around 3-4 week wait after passing interviews.

That's the process time for it if you're fit enough and pass everything. The waiting time to start phase 1 depends on the job you're going for & grade you got at ADSC.

For arguments sake just say you got an A/high B grade then Infantry is normally a 1-4 month wait. Trades are looking around 4-18 months.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated above, for certain jobs it depends on the preparedness of the individual prior to applying and how pro-active they are during selection.

Last month I processed a guy for RM as follows:

Week One: Recruiting Test, eye test, Medical, PJFT
Week Two: PRMC

In addition my office last month processed a RM candidate from test to completing PRMC in 31 days, with an entry days 14 days later.

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As stated above, for certain jobs it depends on the preparedness of the individual prior to applying and how pro-active they are during selection.

Last month I processed a guy for RM as follows:

Week One: Recruiting Test, eye test, Medical, PJFT
Week Two: PRMC

In addition my office last month processed a RM candidate from test to completing PRMC in 31 days, with an entry days 14 days later.

Ninja can this be achieved easily time frame wise?

At the moment I'm hitting above the scores for everything and can do a 9.38 return but in honesty I want to be fitter going for PRMC. I was hoping to go through the application quickly and will definitley be driving the application forward and was wondering is it likely to be able to get to PRMC stage within a month?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja can this be achieved easily time frame wise?

At the moment I'm hitting above the scores for everything and can do a 9.38 return but in honesty I want to be fitter going for PRMC. I was hoping to go through the application quickly and will definitley be driving the application forward and was wondering is it likely to be able to get to PRMC stage within a month?

Not a great deal to be gained trying to drive the application forward rapidly, only to pause whilst you get fully fit for PRMC, to be honest, but yes it's still entirely possible to be loaded onto a cancellation place on a PRMC if you're "good to go".

For those able to plan ahead, it's possible to complete selection within a month - the key is prior planning.

gingejordan

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, got enough from it to complete the unit.

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not a great deal to be gained trying to drive the application forward rapidly, only to pause whilst you get fully fit for PRMC, to be honest, but yes it's still entirely possible to be loaded onto a cancellation place on a PRMC if you're "good to go".

For those able to plan ahead, it's possible to complete selection within a month - the key is prior planning.

Thanks Ninja, I will wait until I am really confident with my fitness before I apply anyway, and also need to go to my GP and see if I can get a copy of my medical records to take to the medical with me just incase any information is required.

navy226

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i Was surprised at how willing my Contact at the AFCO was to booking my stuff in advance being a overseas applicant he said if everything goes well there is no reason i couldn't be on a PRMC before the end of January .

I must say comparing my experience so far with my time in the CF i am in shock at how professional you lads are

New Threads