Royal Navy Recruiting Test & Example Psychometric Tests

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 9, 2008.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

UPDATED: December 2016

The Royal Navy Psychometric Test is 4 part multiple choice, 30 questions in each section & you should aim to get a minimum of 50% correct in each of the 4 sections to be assured of a good pass & to leave viable job options in the Navy, should you not make the physical grade as a Royal Marine. If you score less than ten out of 30 in the English or maths sections, it's an automatic fail for any job. The questions aren't hard, but you need to work fast. If you fail it's 12 months for a re-sit, so beware falling at the first hurdle. The booklet is available free,from your AFCO.

The test sections are as follows: Reasoning 9 mins, Literacy 9 mins, Numeracy 16 mins, Mechanical Comprehension 10 mins. Thirty questions in each section. In total 120 questions in 44 minutes.

The introduction of a minimum score in the mechanical comprehension section for Other Ranks (01/04/2011 update) together with an increased "all-up" minimum score, is catching a lot of guys out - don't underestimate it. Update, 08 March 2014 - the pass Mark in is now 12/30.

For Officers, minimum scores have been introduced (01/08/2011 update) in the Reasoning, Literacy & Numeracy. For Officer you need to aim for 75% correct in each section.

From Friday (10th January 2014) onwards the pass mark for RM Officer candidates in the Mechanical Comprehension section of the recruiting test has been removed. This DOES NOT apply retrospectively.

You get a free practice test booklet from the AFCO which is an excellent guide to what to expect. The questions are drawn directly from all three versions of the Recruiting Test with only the numerical values changed. The Practice booklet is only valid if you follow the instructions to the letter & practice against the clock. Those who fail the recruiting test frequently bemoan that the example booklet was "nothing like the real test" - it's exactly like the real test if you follow the instructions.

Online tests are of limited value as it's a paper & pencil test, however a lot of people say the Brain Training games on a DS helped them.

Free Online Psychometric Tests can be found if you are prepared to look. You should go through the test as fast as you can to simulate the real thing.

A good example of online tests can be found at: Civil Service online test which offers a simulated Naval entry test. To my mind it's probably the most representative of the online tests available, albeit online rather than paper & pencil.

A good book to maybe borrow from a library (harder than the test, but good for practice- IF you feel you need it) is IQ & Psychometric Testing by Phillip Carter another one, believe it or not is the Verbal, Non-Verbal & mathematics sections of 11+ Examples. It sounds mad but the questions are virtually identical- again it's the timescales that make it difficult. You only have 9 minutes to complete 30 questions in the verbal section, same again in the non-verbal & 16 minutes for the 30 maths questions. Sounds easy- try it!

The generic: Practice-Tests-Armed-Forces(ISBN: 9780340926550)is reasonable in my opinion, but possibly a little easier than the real thing. The Ultimate Psychometric Test Bookis another reasonable example to borrow from your nearest library. Not particularly a fan myself, but others recommend the How 2 Become series.

Other FREE sites:

http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/Public/frames_sample_can.htm Probably the most representative.

https://pg.sitebase.net/pg_images/taleo/practicetest.htm (Select Language to enter into test pages)

http://www.psychometric-success.com/practice-papers/Psychometric Success Mechanical Reasoning - Practice Test 1.pdf

https://www.4tests.com/asvab (Click "Start the Exam")

http://www.psychometric-success.com/downloads/download-practice-tests.htm

http://www.shl.com/tryatest/takeatest/pages/takeatest-english.aspx

http://www.markparkinson.co.uk/psychometric_links.htm Scroll down, there are dozens of links.

http://students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm Numerical Tests

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/psychometric_tests.htmScroll to practice aptitude tests

http://www.aptitudetestsonline.co.uk Click on "Test" tab

The overiding advice, is these example tests need not cost you a penny, so don't be suckered into buying something you can borrow or download for nothing.

Some feedback and useful advice from a fellow applicant:

• Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 6
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 6
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. MAXPAIN

MAXPAIN New Member

This site has more tips and information than anywhere else, and 0mG its freeee!

• Like Like x 1
  3. al075

al075 New Member

Does anyone know the pass mark for an Officer?

4. RossRobObey

RossRobObey Member

Ninja, do you have any idea if this is a good score?

I have just done a Numerical Reasoning test from Genesys Online.

It comprised of 25 questions, each with 6 multiple choice answers. I completed the test in 7 mins exactly getting 25 out of 25 correct.

That gives an avg. of 16.8 seconds per answer, all answered correctly.

What kind of result would that give me on the real thing?

http://www.practicetests.co.uk/Launchtest.asp# (Click NMR #2)

:EDIT:

Just done a Verbal Reasoning test.

35 questions, I answered 26 correctly, in 6 mins, that's 10.2 secs per answer but I did not panic and tick any box, I was certain on each answer.

Again, how does this compare?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, you should aim for no less than 66% in both the maths & English sections.

In all instances you must score more than 10 correct in the maths & English sections, or you will be ineligible to join. For other rank you should aim to get at least 40% correct in each section.

It is a fairly accurate reflection of the recruiting test you undertake at the AFCO in those particular sections & suggests that as long as you perform equally as well in the reasoning, literacy, numeracy & mechanical comprehension aspects of the official test, you should do OK as long as you work fast.

6. itchy

itchy New Member

Pyschometric test

hey got my pyschometric test is a few days did the little practice book and it was pretty easy any ideas what the marines pass mark is?? or where i could find a link for a test to practice on cant find anything cheers

7. andy5sm

andy5sm New Member

i dont mate but i passed mine last week but one piece of advise i would give u is if u dont no the answer in ten secs to a qstn move on *text deleted* you dont get much time at all (trust me) then just before the time runs out just mark anythin, it aint that hard its just u dont have much time to do it, good luck
    :thefinger::thefinger:

8. Sotiris

Sotiris Moderator

Hey Ninja,

Which lvl would you say most accurately represents the tests we receive?

1,2 or 3?

9. Ninja_Stoker

It's a mixture of all 3 levels to be honest.

10. Ninja_Stoker

11. Chicogiz

Chicogiz New Member

Ninja, you know when i re-take my test, will it be the same questions? I heard it will be the exact questions i did before.

12. Ninja_Stoker

No, there are 3 test versions & you may only take one version once. The AFCO will check to make sure you are given a different version.

The Recruiting Tests are very similar so there will be no surprises, but they are most definitely different.

13. Sotiris

Sotiris Moderator

A tip to all applicants about to take their test:

The actual test is a lot harder then the crappy booklet they hand out. Timing is absolutely essential. Work as fast as you can and if you can't answer a question straight away, leave a mark by it and move on. Return to it on completion of the section.

The only way to surely fail a question is by not answering it.

Practice on this site:

FREE PRACTICE TESTS: Practice online aptitude, ability and personality testing for recruitment, employment and development

Ninja has already posted the link for it but I wish to emphasize how useful it is. I've been using that site for about 5 months now. One test a week. Do the hardest ones and work backwards if you're having trouble.

Make sure you brush up on your math. It's definitely the hardest section, they give you a lot more time to do it. Long multiplication and subtraction may have become unfamiliar to some older candidates that haven't done it for a while, so a quick search on google will yield a good crop of helpful sites.

They were very happy with my results, said I did "very very well" and I attribute it completely to practice. I would have had a very different result if I had not prepared.

It may seem easy, and in some ways it is but more people fail it then pass it. Don't let this first (small) hurdle trip you up. There are far larger mountains to climb.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blue Man

Blue Man New Member

Well said Sotiris.

The test is much harder than the booklet makes out, the time limits are quite tough. If you're finding it hard to find any decent tests online, go onto BBC Bitesize, GCSE section. The maths from this will be especially handy.

Give yourself plenty of time to prepare as well, you will need a good 5 weeks as mentioned (if you haven't taken one before). Remember how much you sweated over that Theory test? Because re-taking it meant shelling out ANOTHER small fourtune? The RT is no different.

I passed, but didn't quite get enough for Officer, which was good in the end as it has pushed me down the Uni route! Will re-apply after Uni.

I got a really good book last Christmas, Amazon.co.uk: The Ultimate Psychometric Test Book: Mike Bryon: Books.

Sotiris, get your hands on this book mate, some of gets quite complicated. It will be really handy for the tests at the AIB.

David

15. AaronCassel

AaronCassel New Member

i failed ma phsycometrics 6 months ago and I'm resiting it on the 5th of december

I'm well enoyed because i recenlty have been diognosed with high dyslexia
    and its a bummer

if i fail ill join the parachute regiment

16. Sotiris

Sotiris Moderator

Erm...why do you think the Paras will have you if you can't pass the Navy recruiting test?

17. Ninja_Stoker

The RN Recruiting Test is "dyslexic friendly" inasmuch as it is printed in Ariel Round font, involves no writing (other than writing an "x" on the answer sheet) & is printed on pastel coloured paper. Dyslexics can & do pass the test, but some do struggle in training even if they pass the test.

The reason no concessions are given to individuals who are certified dyslexic is because the individual needs to be able to rapidly & accurately interpret and pass forward written instructions.

The British Army Recruiting Battery (BARB) version of the Recruiting Test is on a computer touch-screen and tends to be more user-friendly for those suffering from dyslexia - this isn't to suggest the test is easier, it isn't. As with the RN test, the higher you score, the more trades are available.

18. Furlesscupseeker

Furlesscupseeker New Member

How do Ninja stoker?, I failed my written test due to totally sucking at maths, have managed to get myself from below level 1 maths to level 2 will that be sufficiant to pass providing i can answer most of the questions in time?
    Also i'm struggling to find training partners in my area using the relative section of this site could you suggest any other sites which may help if they exist?
    thanks for your time fella.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Now then, 'appen,

Hopefully you will pass the recruiting test at your next shot. As you rightly note, the issue is the timescale permitted as much as the ability to answer the questions correctly. There are people below level one in Maths Basic Skills that pass & likewise there are those with A2 Level Maths at C grade that fail.

Possibly British Military Fitness (BMF) are the answer to your training needs if you cannot find a training partner through here or via your AFCO. They, BMF, are very good, but they do cost money because it's a business.

That said, I've nothing but praise for BMF - they do what they say on the tin.

20. Sotiris

Sotiris Moderator

Ah! Ninja! That's my job! I preach BMF around here haha.