Royal Navy Recruiting Test & Example Psychometric Tests

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Member

Averaging between 90-100% on each test online.

2 questions:

1) How do you work out questions like 44 x 28, these are baffling.

2) For those who've sat it, how close would you say the actual test is to the RN one on the "Civil Service Prep Online" link? Because it was very easy, even at speed, and this worries me it might not be hard enough to practice sufficiently.

2. AB1993

AB1993 New Member

It's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't got my recruitment testing date yet. I handed it in at the AFCO to try and get a quicker date and it still hasn't come. I'm only worried because people have told me that you usually get it within the 1st week, is this true or should I ring up?
    What's the average waiting time?
    Thanks

3. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Member

Within 4 weeks usually, if in doubt contact AFCO.

Also PERSEC, you should consider changing your username.

4. AB1993

AB1993 New Member

Okay, how do I change it, I can't find where? Thanks

5. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Member

Inbox the one they call Ninja.

6. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Member

Pass

Passed this morning! Started to panic a bit because the test was completely different to the practice booklet, it was harder too (timing wasn't an issue but the actual questions were a bit cheeky!)

21 sat it, didn't count passes but looking around it was about 12-14. Apparently this is very high compared to usual, and last week's was apparently high aswell (8 out of 12 passed).

Sidenote: Going on his facebook picture it looks like Ninja was there...

7. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Well done mate.

8. curare95

curare95 New Member

Time to give something back... :toung:

I'm not sure exactly if others have said what I'm about to but no harm in saying it again.

As this is probably your first RM assessment you're bound to be nervous. Thing is though it's not a hard test. Just make sure, like with everything else, you prepare as much as possible. It's more important to know how the questions will be put across as, it's not like doing a test in college or school. So familiarization is key!

When your doing the test, don't rush, be quick but concise. Think about your answers, go with you gut. Don't dwell on a question for too long. If you don't know the answer skip it and carry on, only go back if you have time to do so.

Another thing to remember is that you don't need a high score in comparison to some roles in the navy... This is a universal test for everyone from Royal Marines to Navy pilots. That is not to say that you should try your best though, always give everything 100%.

I hope this helps.

9. G-Unit

G-Unit Member

RT 0 - G-Unit 1

Smashed it lads.

Thought I had messed up the mech comp but scored pretty high.
    Putt self under unnecessary pressure by getting in my head that the maths section was 10mins not 16mins haha! Gave me 6mins of going over my answers right enough!

Interview - let's be having you!

Cheers for all the help lads!

10. SCRAVEN92

SCRAVEN92 Member

First of all well done. Second, are you getting your interview before the medical? good chance I'm probably at the same AFCO as you would be odd that they are doing it that way ha :suspicious: I'm guessing youv been in recently so have you heard anything about PJFT/RMAD? I know theres only 2 fitness first open currently not near the town centre though. Hopefully the whole Govan thing gets sorted whatever is happening with it.

11. G-Unit

G-Unit Member

Cheers mate! Aye, spoke to the WO who said that interview would be in about 2 weeks then medical and eye test.

Didn't mention the PJFT but there is a post by Drew_Mac about it. He spoke to his CA today. I'll ask about it at my interview mate.

12. Phil D

Phil D New Member

Do you get a sheet for workings out on these tests? got mine on wed and been smashing the maths all week!

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yes. The left -hand page on each answer sheet is left blank for "working-out" if required.

14. wilcinio123

wilcinio123 Member

just a quick comment, did my physcometric today and only just scraped through! Was a lot harder than I thought and only 6 out of the 15 that was there passed it so all I can say is MAKE SURE YOU REVISE! revise revise revise because the ones that failed have to now wait 12 months to resist it!
    Best of luck guys.

15. HelpfulGirlfriend

HelpfulGirlfriend New Member

Hello gentlemen,
    I've been making some tests for my boyfriend for practice, based on what I've seen from all the links and booklets and other sources at my disposal, 30 questions a section and fully timed.

I'm trying to be as supportive as possible, but I have to say I am having quite a lot of fun playing teacher.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to get answered on the internet.

Firstly, in the unlikely event my extreme revision and helpfulness doesn't work and he gets less than 10 on the maths or english, is that an instant no for re-sitting? I read that it was a fail for all jobs and my assumptions led me to think that was directed at navy and marine jobs, but re-reading it I was worried that it was more like an instant no.

Secondly, am I right in thinking this is a two attempt only thing?
    again, bits picked up from the internet when doing my masses of research, but nothing solid.

Thanks in advance guys.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Welcome- Good effort!

<10 in maths & English is an outright fail for all branches, RM included.

Two attempts is the maximum permitted.

In exceptional cases - ie a full course of full time further education is successfully taken and completed, we may refer an individual to the Area Recruiting Manager for consideration of a third attempt. In my 10 years experience, it's happened twice in my AFCO and not until several years have elapsed since the second sitting.

17. HelpfulGirlfriend

So am I right in thinking if you get less than 10 you don't get a re sit, or am I over thinking and I was right initially and it's just a fail across all branches and you get a resit?

Thank you for your help.

18. Ninja_Stoker

A second attempt at the Recruiting Test is permitted in all cases after 12 months since the initial fail.

Those that have a "narrow miss" and who are undergoing formal education maybe permitted resit 6 months after the first fail if they can prove it and a waiver is granted.

19. HelpfulGirlfriend

Thank you very much for your help and the information.
    I can get back to making my tests now and maybe get some sleep before work.

20. HelpfulGirlfriend

Sorry for the double post, No clue how to edit, any tips on what DS games to get? Is it brain training?
    I've spent nearly 12 solid hours putting together 3 exams that have 30 questions a section and can be done in a times written condition.

I don't know a lot about physical strength *text deleted*, I have the upper body strength of a little girl, but I know how to revise so anything you guys can give me on other things other than practice tests I've made would be helpful. Also if anyone taking the tests wants a copy of a test that may at least be quite similar to the real thing to print off, as long as you have open office you're more than welcome to them, just ask :) it's 120 questions, 4 sections and for reference I've given a time indication at the top of each section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.