Royal Navy Recruiting Test & Example Psychometric Tests

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 9, 2008.

1. RUGGET

RUGGET Member

My mate has given me his RAF psychometric test booklet for revision, he said that the questions are harder but on the same kind of style the marines psychometric is. will this be of any real use or set me back when revising?

2. Monos

Monos New Member

PASSED
    The maths part was crazy i ended up guessing half of them i was unbelievably nervous but apparently i did absolutely fine, the biggest thing i can recommend for the maths section is make "educated guesses" to save time because most of the time their will be two ballpark answers and the rest are pretty obviously not the answer, also the questions were over all pretty easy and the same as the test paper but there are some really tricky ones that you would be better off just guessing and moving on.

3. Karma

Karma New Member

Do you know the current pass rate for a commando

4. Karma

Karma New Member

Anyone know what sort of algebra questions there are? Also what I need to know about circuits

5. MUFC-JOE

MUFC-JOE New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Ive got my psychometric tomorrow I'm absolutely bricking it, I know I'm going to struggle on the maths questions, would it be possible to have a scrap piece of paper so you can do some quick working out?

6. Karma

Karma New Member

I'm wondering same as I can't work things out in my head

7. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

Answered on your other thread.
    You get a scrap piece to do workings on. Quick tip that I've mentioned somewhere before, instead of trying to do a complicated multiplication, for example 32x356, exactly, just round it and do 30x350. Much easier and quicker to do and as its multiple choice, chances are that the correct answer will be the only one close to your estimate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MUFC-JOE

MUFC-JOE New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I am ok at all the rest I just struggle on quick thinking maths takes me ages to get an answer together in my head

9. Monos

Monos New Member

not worth it, if you can't do it in 10 seconds move on, they have a working out piece for you but it's useless for the time you spend on each question.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigBear

BigBear New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah I passed mine 2 weeks ago.
    The maths section was a little tricky and if I didn't revise on bbc bitesize I would have struggled as I have been out of education for 6 years. I think I had 2 or 3 algebra questions but cover stuff like perimeter/area of shapes, percentages, decimals, fractions, multiplication, adding and subtraction and you will be fine!
    (There is room for workings out so don't worry about that).

Save time by reading the questions thoroughly so you don't have to re-read as this wastes a fair amount of time, especially on the English and Mechanical sections.
    People say take a watch and time keep… I didn't look at mine once and the time really does fly.

All in all its not as bad as you think it will be, the hardest thing about it is the time limit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DD

DD Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Weird question, but for the maths section are allowed a rough piece of paper to do your workings, or are you expected to do it all in your head?

12. Frankie11

Frankie11 Active Member

I seem to remember there being space in the booklet for workings. Because I remember one question that I miss read and tried working out the whole sum but it was actually asking something else much simpler.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DD

DD Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I see, thanks a lot for the quick reply.

14. Monos

Monos New Member

you wont have time to do any working out.

15. Frankie11

Frankie11 Active Member

By that logic the test is impossible. Of course there is time to work out the answer... If I remember right there is some long multiplication and short division on it both of which jotting down the workings quickly is very helpful and quicker than in your head.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

There is roughly 20-30 seconds per question for working out the answer, assuming you answer every single question.

The answer booklet has a blank page to the left of the answer sheet in each section for working out.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Perry101

Perry101 New Member

I have my psychometric test in a month so I'm doing a fair bit of revising.

Its been 4 years ive left school so I'm a little rusty on everything (Maths especially), Ive been working through a load of online practice papers in the links above and touching up on of all the basic things i learned in school (algebra, areas of shapes etc)

Is their anything maths related that comes up in the test a lot that i should be revising? I've got the booklet from the AFCO so i have a rough idea of the type of questions that are asked but there is obviously a lot more questions in the real thing.

Any help would be awesome, Cheers fellas!

18. Smash

Smash Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If anything mate, being able to multiply relatively large numbers quickly will help a fair bit. Calculations such as 64x83 and 148x294. These are random but it gives you an idea. There is a range of maths questions in the test, being solid at most areas of maths should help. It's not that hard but if you have been out of school for a few years I can see where you think you might struggle. Just practise and you'll be fine bud.

19. Perry101

Perry101 New Member

Ive been adding and subtracting big numbers but didnt think about multiplying, thanks for the heads up mate! have you taken then test yourself?

20. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

Ive got the navy 'how to pass psychometric test' book which I no longer need I found that very helpful, if anyone wants it I can give it you if your in London or I can whatsapp you the pages if your further.