Royal navy/royal marine recruiter advice

mr.sniper

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to become a royal navy/royal marines recruiter?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be eligible for selection, you need to have served in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines and attained the Rank/Rate of Petty Officer/Sergeant, Chief Petty Officer/Colour Sergeant, Warrant Officer 2 or 1.

Selection involves a two-day selection board in which your potential is assessed. Upon successful selection, providing there is a vacancy in your preferred area, you complete a pre-course Task Book prior to attending a 2 week Naval Recruiters course, followed by a 3 week pass/fail Careers Advisers course at the Royal Naval School of Recruiting in Bovington, Dorset. The Careers Adviser then needs to complete a post-course Task-Book.

mr.sniper

Reaction score
Thanx ninja_Stoker. What would the average day of a recruiter be like?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If there's such a thing as an average day, most days involve conducting selection interviews & report writing, which takes a large chunk of the 'average' day. Much of the day involves counselling, offering advice & guidance to enquirers, applicants & joiners. There is a lot of administration, with regard writing letters & processing applications.

If you consider that only about 1 in 16 potential Marines applying make it as far as PRMC, you begin to appreciate the volume of work generated by testing, interviewing, report-writing, advising, rejection counselling, booking appointments, medicals, PJFTs, PRMCs, bidding for allocated places, checking & processing Security Clearance, conducting presentations, PRMC briefs, Pre-Entry/Joining Briefs etc., you begin to see where the day goes. Bear in mind Royal Navy manpower recruiting requirements are ten times bigger than those for the Royal Marines & we do both. It is perhaps easier to understand why we get a little "miffed" when somebody turns up late or simply misses an appointment as it generates a lot of additional nugatory work.

My local AFCO visits between 150 to 200 secondary schools in the local area alone each year, raising the RN/RM profile by conducting Mock Job Interviews with pupils, conducting Enterprise Days (team-building activities), has a Royal Navy Student presentation team giving professional presentations 5 days per week, A Royal Marines Visibility Team visiting local schools 5 days per week, we attend all Careers Conventions in our area, conduct customer Response Presentations every single week, attend most public shows with various assets (Aircraft, Interactive/simulator vehicles), conduct Job Clinics at the Job Centre Plus & Connexions, advertise in the local press, have helicopters visiting schools, conduct Royal Marines Band school visits, have RN PTI's visiting schools, RM Chefs display team, Meet The Marines activities, take schools to Engineering Acquaint weeks to Portsmouth, conduct schools warship visits, careers forums, and the list goes on.

It's probably true to say the job is "varied"

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* is it just something with you recruiters and coffie, The chief that took me for my PRMC brief called one of the young Naval lads up just to make his coffie, and the lad stoped everything he was doing to bring his flask or i think he was on his way home or something and the recruiter say "I bet that kid hates me now" Was quite ammusing.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
just to but in 8) theres a RM at my AFCO Liverpool and he is a CPL, just thought i would add that . :D