ROYALS BARRED FROM WEARING THEIR GONGS

Discussion in 'RM Operational News' started by Bootra, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

2. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

'Squaddies'

That'll go down like a lead balloon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bootra

Typical DM not getting their facts right. Hence the reason I'll wait out and get confirmation before taking it as gen.

4. Sam1

Sam1 Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Thats gen mate! know quite a few lads who have been on anti-piracy deployments and can't wear the medals.

5. Bootra

Thanks Royal.

6. corvus

corvus Member

Having read the 'risk and rigour principle' clause for awarding medals, does this mean that members of the UK forces are prevented from wearing their career on their chest a la US forces, who wear tabs detailing every deployment/campaign award? And instead are only permitted to wear things such as bravery awards? What then is the point of issuing tabs for every campaign if you are not supposed to display them?

Apologies if this is incorrect I am just trying to understand the rules. Also when are you permitted to wear medals usually, i.e. what events/dresses are permitted, obviously you dont go wearing them in your everyday uniform.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

There maybe a bit more to it, such as the minimum qualifying period "on task".

That said I got a UN, "Former Yugoslavia" medal exactly the same, without ever setting foot on dry land during the Bosnian conflict. The only hardship was sailing on Christmas Day on an aircraft carrier.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Yes. In comparison to the USA, the issue and the wearing of UK military badges and decorations are somewhat restrained.
    For example, the UK does not appear to have an equivalent for the US National Defense Service Medal which marks service during the current 'Global War on Terrorism'. It is awarded to US Officer Cadets and Midshipmen when sworn into the service. :)

9. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I can understand why they should be allowed to wear the medals and seems a bit immature why they can't,

My personal opinion is who cares who has what medal, as long as you passed out of Lympstone and earn't the 'Green Beret' that's what matters to me, being 28 myself I did wonder if there is any hostility to older recruits from ranks when joining now as we are now/have left Afghanistan.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

And the American "Purple Heart".

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Medals are always a bone of contention. I always thought it a travesty the three Royal Marines on the outside of the helicopter in the "Apache Rescue" incident got nothing whilst the 7 Army guys got three DFCs and four MC's. That, to me, completely devalued the awards system.

By contrast, my Commanding Officer got a DSO - despite the fact he ordered "check fire" on an incoming raid which killed two of our shipmates.

The thing is, medals for bravery are awarded individually, campaign medals are basically "attendance" badges - you got the same OSM in Afghanistan whether you spent your tour inside the wire at Bastion or out on the ground in contact with the enemy.

• Like Like x 3