RT - how much weight will you be carrying?

Reaction score
How much kit do recruits carry in training? I know the commando tests are done with 21lbs of kit & a rifle. Please only accurate answers.

I know loads of British troops have ruined knees, ankles & backs from carrying too much in Afghan/Iraq (145lbs, 65kg), which is just ridiculous for people’s body’s.

I know the MOD had to stop and reduce the weight, so I’m just curious if any current Royal Marines or ex know the differentiating weights of Bergen’s in training?

Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate you taking the time!

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Well in that case, during commando tests yes, you carry 21lbs and a rifle for all of them bar the 30 miler. As for the rest of it, why does it matter? Just accept that your Bergen is going to be heavy. It always is, just put one foot in front of the other and you won’t go wrong.

Reaction score
I’ve been running/walking with weight for a while, I can walk with 40lbs of kit over 15 miles, you can always prepare the best you can. I’m just curious how heavy it gets, being excited & trying to get some insight haha, thanks though

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve been running/walking with weight for a while, I can walk with 40lbs of kit over 15 miles, you can always prepare the best you can. I’m just curious how heavy it gets, being excited & trying to get some insight haha, thanks though

There is absolutely no need to be carrying that weight over that distance to prepare. The pressure it puts through the joints and compression of the spine is absolutely not worth it.

Badankles

Reaction score
I started training at 6ft 5.
Im now 5ft 10. (gen).
Haha I’m 5ft 7 I don’t have much more height to lose. In hindsight is there nothing you would do differently to prepare your body for that. Strength training and weightlifting seems to come up often for injury prevention and carrying weight.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Haha I’m 5ft 7 I don’t have much more height to lose. In hindsight is there nothing you would do differently to prepare your body for that. Strength training and weightlifting seems to come up often for injury prevention and carrying weight.

Yer not a bad method. Its mainly strong core and stable joints so perhaps more surprising good flexibility/mobility. Good prehab always helps avoid injuru

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Do not run with weight prior to training.
Do not even walk with excessive weight.
You will screw up your knees, there are procedures in place to protect you when carrying weight.
Everything in training is structured and planned. It’s not thrown together or just made up on the spot. There is procedures and policies of how, when and how much weight is to be carried.
You are supported in recruit training and there is a tried and tested robust rehabilitation process to go through.

And 65kg was pretty light for the Middle East and definitely Norway. (Although there’s new lighter equipment for Norway).
Don’t try and break yourself before you start, there will be no support network or rehabilitation programme to help you if you screw up your knees trying to play big boys with a rucksack of bricks.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You'll also be dragging a pulk with all tent and team stores on top of that too, whilst cross-country skiing for the first time in your life.

Its great fun.

I remember top flapping the old tents. Unreal. Needed 2 blokes to help me back up. The new ones are considerably lighter.
How much do you usually carry when going to Norway? 65kg is heavy
You require more safety stores than usual because of the Arctic conditions.
But on Ops you are required to carry certain bits of equipment needed that are certain heavy. Here’s a link describing it:

Note that it says this doesn’t include, section stores, like 51mm Mortars, tripods for the Gun, laser designator, binoculars and other optics, Med kit, section ammunition (belted ammunition, mortars, grenades/UGLs,) or any additional kit like Radios and batteries etc.