Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RT Kit List

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MORP, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MORP

MORP Member

Recently there was a thread about the standard RT kit and how it didn't include all the necessary items that the Training team expect recruits to have.

This caused recruits to trek to overpriced shops near CTC where they could pick up these items.

To solve this issue could we collectively make a list down below of items that applicants can pick up online prior to commencing RT to save them a bit of cash and time?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

Off the top of my head things I’ve had to buy for the first couple of weeks:
    Tent pegs
    Cottons pads or that fancy cloth for bulling boots
    Unscented soap, dish for the soap, Spare toothbrush, makeup mirror, little tube of toothpaste, little tube of shave oil, two flannels, disposable razors
    Coat hangars, more than you’d think and the trouser ones too
    Ikea sealable bags of all sizes
    Headtorch with red light
    Bring a decent ironing board

I’ll add if I remember any

3. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

Trouser twists, for you and your oppos
    4 padlocks using as few keys as possible
    If you can afford it liquid and wadding brasso, I’d not you’ll want the wadding.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

One bit of caution - whenever this topic rears it's head, we always advise those passing PRMC to only take kit on the official kitlist.

The additional kit required after joining differs from troop to troop and there's a danger of buying stuff that ends up being sent home/confiscated.

We have requested CTC issue a rationalised kitlist via Captain Naval Recruitng but so far as I'm aware, it's not been released.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Parry173

Parry173 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Anybody that's in recruit training currently, do you have any tips on what extra items to bring that aren't on the kit list you get given by the AfCO that would help when starting RT?

Thanks

6. Something Original

Something Original New Member

While I'm unsure if he's in training currently:

Source: 2 posts up.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. MORP

MORP Member

When do you start RT lad?

8. Parry173

Parry173 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    18th Feb

• Like Like x 1
  9. MORP

MORP Member

Good luck mate

10. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Definitely an ironing board, my nod said most of his troop brought one along when they joined. We um’d and arh’d whether to send him with one or not, after reading suggestions on here we took a chance and bought Argos own brand (20 quid) with good reviews and super light. Albeit mostly used whilst in Hunter it’s survived 4 months so far :cool:
    Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Boggy

Boggy Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I was worried that our nod would find himself 'lost' during his first days in RT without all the 'extras to kit list' we've read about, but he survived Foundation perfectly well with the basic list.
    Sure, each Saturday afternoon off he has been to town to buy stuff on advice from the training team, but he buys what is needed , when it's needed. @wishful thinking? 's post is straight from the horse's mouth so you can't really go wrong there. Initial ironing board capacity seems to have been sufficient to get started, but our nod bought one on camp quite early on and I think, as @Morticia says, it's a definite if you want your stay at CTC to be an enjoyable one:). As a stop gap the naafi board has served it's purpose, but the quality is shocking (easy to bend in half over your knee to fit in your rucksack, but tends to become 2 mini boards when you straighten it out on arrival) and he is going back with a 'civilian' ironing board fit for purpose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

From the era when an ironing board was many men's idea of the perfect Christmas gift. :eek:

ironing_board.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  13. MORP

MORP Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a bombproof iron that's going to last the whole of RT?

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Bombproof? A charcoal-fired iron. Made of iron. Electricity not required.

coal_iron.jpg

But seriously, the apparently high attrition rate of domestic steam irons in RT is almost certainly due to the 'non domestic' environment in which they are expected to operate.
    I'd go cheap and cheerful. It's less painful if the device is trashed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MORP

MORP Member

Cheers for the advice - I didn't want to go splashing on an expensive iron unless it would be significantly better than a cheap one haha

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just a comment from one who routinely wrecks electrical equipment and then spends hours attempting to repair it rather than buying new stuff.

Service RT establishments often have knackered electrical mains sockets so an extension cable can make connecting to a functional one easier.

Hopefully others will chip in with their suggestions.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MORP

MORP Member

I appreciate the advice - I'll add that to the list too!

18. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

A £30 steam iron is all you need.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Being an avid ironed myself I definitely recommend buying a named brand such as Russell Hobbs. I would suggest buying one at about 30-40 quid which is already reduced from say 50 or 60. Argos usually have reduced items especially in January.
    Good luck with the ironing ;) you'll become an expert

• Like Like x 2
  20. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Oops I seem to have posted twice :confused: