Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RT Kit List

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MORP, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

All sorted!

Alan

2. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you Alan x

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pogorabbit

Pogorabbit Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    When our lad started training he went by train and said at all the big stations there would be a nervous looking guy carrying an ironing board;), he bought one from the naffi but said it was rubbish and as soon as he could bought a better quality one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Pogorabbit

Pogorabbit Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I seem to write a lot of posts about ironing! Here is another, make sure you know how to use said iron, be kind and do the family laundry for a few months and you'll find it easy at ctcrm

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Say hi to Gomez for me!!

Festa!! :D

7. Something Original

Something Original New Member

I'd recommend going into training with an iron you know how to use and get the most out of.

You probably don't need to spend hundreds, but I spent about £7 on mine thinking a cheap one will be fine back in RN Phase 1, and it showed. I didn't know how to use it, it didn't get hot enough (the only thing I could do consistently was my white front, oddly enough, because it never got hot enough to burn any unwashed out soap) to get consistent results, and any creases I did want quickly dropped out while those I didn't were not ironed out.

For the sake of just a little bit more money, it might well be worth the slightly less stress and aggro that comes from having not-gopping kit. Spending even 1 minute less on a shirt every time adds up to getting shinier boots etc. Training is hard enough without having to fight against a PoS bit of technology.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  8. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    :cool: Noticed a Lurch on here too! Popular TV show with folk of a certain age ;) :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'd like to say it was before my time but I'd be lying. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. hazza198

hazza198 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I also start RT on 18th Feb, see you there

11. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

An extension lead is a major bonus, we had about 9 plugs between a troop of 60 of us, was a real nightmare in the mornings to get our sheets ironed.

12. rycbar

rycbar New Member

STEAM!! There were lads in my troop who didn't have irons that could steam and it really showed. Personally, I got (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4535928), the major advantage of Argos is that there's one very centrally in Exeter and they would replace them - no questions asked!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Even those with steam irons should consider what I've always known as a small 'squirty' bottle.
    These are also known as spritzer bottles or plant misters. They allow a controlled amount of water vapour to be precisely applied to creases. They also cost peanuts to buy. Widely available in Poundland, Boots, Superdrug and lots of other places.

One picture being worth a thousand words:

spray_bottle.jpg

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Just thought that I would bump this thread up a bit, with regard to the extra kit recruits are expected to buy whilst at CTC. There was a flurry of activity a while ago, with the Corps Colonel getting involved and the hope that a standardised list would be agreed for all Troops in training.

Hopefully it hasn't gone the way of other initiatives and ended up in the bin.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My Nod is back in Foundation this week, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, he still needs to buy this Saturday now he’s under a different TT or indeed if there are items he already has that they don’t allow :confused:

• Like Like x 4
    • Seen Seen x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Let us know how he gets on. I'm on the Corps Colonel's speed dial at the moment (we're bestest buddies, honest) so I can ask him about it at the next opportunity.

To be honest, he rings me, I answer. I doubt it would work t'other way, somehow :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
  17. Morticia

Morticia Member

App Stage:
    Parent
  18. Lipsil

Lipsil New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Silly question I’m sure. But what are the ikea resealable bags for?

19. Snafu

Snafu Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Lipsil My nod said they are for everything they need to keep dry in their bergens

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lipsil

Lipsil New Member

App Stage:
    Parent