RT Kit

ThomasWotsits

Reaction score
Hi all, having a real trouble due to so many mixed accounts. I start RT on the 8th July and in the process of getting all my kit ready however there are so many opinions on what to take. I have the kit list from th AFCO and the recruit handbook and they are very similar few extra items in the recruit handbook so was going to get the extra items as they seem like essentials and I need to save money. Also people have recommended taking an ironing board and padlocks to save money and get better quality which i was going to get. But then people are saying that there TT gave them a kitlist which cost like £350-£500 when it says take £200, this is worrying me as I only just have the £200 and dont have any other ways of getting money once it is gone. What are TT making recruits buy to go over the £200 and what am I going to do once I cant afford to buy the kit?
Thanks to anyone who read all this but is a worrying factor.

Sly3

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m on your RT date mate inbox if you feel like it, just adhere to the list and in foundation you get a list of kit to pick up in Exeter as some issues items aren’t up to scratch and some things to make life easier, don’t flap. Take more money than is stated I blew through my 200 the first time around rather quickly. Down to you what you fancy but if they specify what is on the list just get it anything extra, get it.

Reactions: JWJ

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
My AFCO told me not to bring an ironing board on account of CTC having them, apparently we'll get split into sections and it would make more sense to split the cost between the guys in your section...

Also, I've heard of people bringing extra kit (underwear/socks etc.) and having them thrown away by the TT, can anyone confirm if this is the case? I think 7 pairs of underwear as stated on the RT kit list isn't enough to get you through 4 days let alone 7...

ThomasWotsits

Reaction score
I’m on your RT date mate inbox if you feel like it, just adhere to the list and in foundation you get a list of kit to pick up in Exeter as some issues items aren’t up to scratch and some things to make life easier, don’t flap. Take more money than is stated I blew through my 200 the first time around rather quickly. Down to you what you fancy but if they specify what is on the list just get it anything extra, get it.
Inboxed you, your first time round? What happened? Also when do you get to get stuff as I presume that you will be busy all the time until your first LWEL.

My AFCO told me not to bring an ironing board on account of CTC having them, apparently we'll get split into sections and it would make more sense to split the cost between the guys in your section...

Also, I've heard of people bringing extra kit (underwear/socks etc.) and having them thrown away by the TT, can anyone confirm if this is the case? I think 7 pairs of underwear as stated on the RT kit list isn't enough to get you through 4 days let alone 7...
Split into sections? What people who have ironing boards and people who dont? And everyone is going to need one to themselves. Dont think TT are going to throw peoples stuff away and apart from contraband being taken away, why would they take underwear away and they arent going to check 45 peoples bags to check what people have got?

Boggy

Reaction score
@ThomasWotsits I think you're already on the right track, take what the official sources have told you to take. Ironing board, maybe, but my son survived weeks with a crappy CTC issue one and then started inheriting them as lads left. Padlocks yes. Don't sweat the 200 quid problem too much- my nod has probably spent about £500 in 25 wks on kit, which is annoying, but most of that came long after his first pay packet. You will just have to fill up on camp scran rather than pizzas until you get paid. It's frustrating to see lads having to worry about funding themselves in the first weeks of training- you've got enough to think about already.
You're going to get yelled at whether you turn up with just a toothbrush or every bit of Gucci kit under the sun, so get yourself down there with what you've got and get stuck in, you'll be fine. Best of luck

JTech

Reaction score

If you can take an ironing board then do it, you’ll be sent to the naffi to buy one if not. So saving yourself money as you’ll be keen to change the naffi one ASAP.
Not sure if you mean you’ll be able to buy ironing boards to share between your section, but everyone should have their own and you don’t get sectioned off until you move out of foundation so that would be 2 weeks without a board.
It’s up to you but a lot of lads do take one with them.

If you are in your issued kit, you wear issued underwear and socks. So the underwear you take is only for when your in your civvis.
Hopefully helped.

ThomasWotsits

Reaction score
@ThomasWotsits
You're going to get yelled at whether you turn up with just a toothbrush or every bit of Gucci kit under the sun, so get yourself down there with what you've got and get stuck in, you'll be fine. Best of luck
True
If you can take an ironing board then do it, you’ll be sent to the naffi to buy one if not. So saving yourself money as you’ll be keen to change the naffi one ASAP.
Not sure if you mean you’ll be able to buy ironing boards to share between your section, but everyone should have their own and you don’t get sectioned off until you move out of foundation so that would be 2 weeks without a board.
It’s up to you but a lot of lads do take one with them.

If you are in your issued kit, you wear issued underwear and socks. So the underwear you take is only for when your in your civvis.
Hopefully helped.
If most people are taking ironing boards might as well join them and save money as they arent going to take an ironing board off you and make you buy another. And didnt know you got issued underwear that seems a bit odd?

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
So you get issued underwear? That's news to me... I think I'll just pack what I deem appropriate (no contraband of course) and roll with it, although I won't be taking an ironing board down because that seems a bit much for me and I don't know what storing it over the holidays will be like and I definitely won't be taking home because I don't live in the UK.

Also @ThomasWotsits regarding the splitting into sections, I have been told say theres 50 in RT, you get split into 5 sections, 10 men each and that section will be your group through RT which makes it easier to divide resources such as an ironing board or two between 10 lads.

JTech

Reaction score
So you get issued underwear? That's news to me... I think I'll just pack what I deem appropriate (no contraband of course) and roll with it, although I won't be taking an ironing board down because that seems a bit much for me and I don't know what storing it over the holidays will be like and I definitely won't be taking home because I don't live in the UK.
Yep issued underwear.
Fair play it’s your own choice, I can’t take one down as I will be flying down but if I wasn’t it’d be the first thing on my list. You just leave your stuff you need for training in your grots over the holidays, you only take civvi gear home.
If you’re worried about things just go by what your list says and you won’t go wrong.

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
Same here, I'm flying down so taking a board would be challenging.

Cheers for the info, I'll follow the kit list and expect to pay exorbatant prices for items at the NAAFI (or so I hear) :D

JTech

Reaction score
Same here, I'm flying down so taking a board would be challenging.

Cheers for the info, I'll follow the kit list and expect to pay exorbatant prices for items at the NAAFI (or so I hear) :D
No worries, see you there.

Woods115

Reaction score
I'm on the same date as well, been told to buy locks before i go down that all work off of the same key but i dont know what size i should get between 20mm an 40mm? Just dont want to buy some then they dont fit when am down there is all.

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
I'm on the same date as well, been told to buy locks before i go down that all work off of the same key but i dont know what size i should get between 20mm an 40mm? Just dont want to buy some then they dont fit when am down there is all.
I went for 20mm locks, 3 on 1 key as you said... I'm sure they will fit just fine.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
the "NAAFI" is actually a Londis shop..!!..no TT dishes out a kit list that costs £500..thats just the Nod rumor mill , and even if they do (which they don,t)..you do not have to buy it..!!easier siad than done i know:confused:,but they are suggested items that make you life easier in training and generally in phase 2.

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I went for 20mm locks, 3 on 1 key as you said... I'm sure they will fit just fine.
You will have 4 lockers after foundation.

Get yourself a 4 lock/1 key set if you can, I paid around a tenner for mine from b&q, honestly invaluable when it comes to quick changes - you'll see lads flapping trying to work out which key is for which cheap lock, then one snaps and their whole world crumbles and they have to run to the guard room to sign out the bolt cutters and back while the rest of the troop holds the press up position.

Also get yourself something small but distinguishing to put on your key, when they get tipped out of a bucket for 40 panicking nods to grab at for aforementioned quick change it means you can get a head start into the showers and out into rig, some lads will be hunting for their key for the next minute or two not realising it's been kicked down the corridor accidentally.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Get yourself a 4 lock/1 key set if you can, I paid around a tenner for mine from b&q, honestly invaluable when it comes to quick changes - you'll see lads flapping trying to work out which key is for which cheap lock, then one snaps and their whole world crumbles and they have to run to the guard room to sign out the bolt cutters and back while the rest of the troop holds the press up position.
Arguably, this is definitive padlock advice.

Also get yourself something small but distinguishing to put on your key,
keyring.jpg

borneboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey I am also on this date are you in a chat with everyone else?

Faugery

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My Nod didn't take his ironing board down but bought one from Argos on the first weekend. 4 padlocks is a must. A decent iron, keep the receipt! My nod's iron went faulty and Argos replaced it no questions asked as he had kept the receipt. Money for haircuts or buy your own clippers. You will need zip lock bags for your kit in your bergen, apparently Tesco ones are better. Hand washing so rubber gloves is a must. Some decent hand/foot cream. Some of the kit shops in Exeter are cheaper/better than others so ask on here. It said washing powder on my nods kit list but he swapped to liquid as it is so much easier and faster to work with. Do ask lots of questions as it must be a little more tricky when you are not UK based for your shopping. I think the bus into Exeter is around £5 return. Good luck.