RT Opt-out Re-entry Documents

Chaff

Reaction score
Does anyone know the situation for those who have previously opted out of training but do not have any proof of service (i.e. Last payslip and Certificate of Service) required to re-join?

Are these essential to re-joining? Can copies be obtained?

Cheers,

Chaff

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to send away for a copy of your certificate of service. Your AFCO will be able to give you the contact details but I warn you they can take a couple of months to come through so do it sooner rather than later.

Chaff

Reaction score
Thanks for that. So is the last payslip required? Can this be obtained through the same channel as the *text deleted*?

Thanks again,

Chaff

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You don't need the last pay slip. I left the Army, and lost EVERYTHING.

I sent off to glasgow for my discharge papers and had them back in just over 4 weeks. I photocopied them and took them into the AFCO, that was fine.

Although in my experience, everyones AFCO seems to work differently and ask of different things!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
You don't need the last pay slip. I left the Army, and lost EVERYTHING.

I sent off to glasgow for my discharge papers and had them back in just over 4 weeks. I photocopied them and took them into the AFCO, that was fine.

Although in my experience, everyones AFCO seems to work differently and ask of different things!
Depends which AFCO you are at if you don't have your docs and how far your application progresses without them, the admin's go bleeding mental (not mentioning which one I was at). But she said she shouldn't have put me through for a prmc without seeing them, but she went out on a limb for me.

But I got a copy of them for Portsmouth Victory Building, took around 5 weeks. Ask for eveything as early as possible as rejoins are already a pain for candidates and afco's, without missing docs.

Chaff

Reaction score
Sounds like I better apply for them soon as possible then.

Just as an aside rejoins have been offered up to £2000 as a 'golden hello' on the completion of training due to low recruit numbers. Although I did receive that offer approximately a year ago.

But the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps they aren't such a big pain as you may think; at the end of the day rejoins have no opt-out rights and as such can only leave through serious injury.

Thanks for the info.

Chaff

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Payslips aren't necesary but are of help, and re-joins havn't got the right to opt out after the first compulsary 28day service, instead they have to stick it out to the end of phase 1 of training before being aloud to opt out

cheers

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Just as an aside rejoins have been offered up to £2000 as a 'golden hello' on the completion of training due to low recruit numbers. Although I did receive that offer approximately a year ago.
Are you sure that's for rejoins of those that left as trainees? as I thought it was just rejoins who had served previously i.e passed out and done 4 years.

Payslips aren't necesary but are of help, and re-joins havn't got the right to opt out after the first compulsary 28day service, instead they have to stick it out to the end of phase 1 of training before being aloud to opt out

cheers
I thought they had do the min 4 years +, didn't think they could opt out at all to.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

Yep, sadly there is no longer a re-joining bounty & the most recent one only applied to fully trained re-entrants. All re-joining bounties are subject to income tax, incidentally. (There is a £1000 bounty for all serving RM's who encourage/mentor a successful RM applicant as long as they reach week 15 of RT).

Likewise, if you submitted your notice to leave (PVR) in RM Recruit Training (You still have the option to submit premature voluntary release[PVR] if your former service was in the Army or RAF, however), then if you rejoin you must complete RT, serve 2.5 years return of service before you can submit 12 months notice to leave. In other words, assuming you pass out 32 weeks after joining, you must serve at least 4 years 2 months from re-joining, if untrained.

If you re-join as a trained RM Commando, unless your contact has been locally agreed, you can submit 12 months notice from the day you complete all elements of refresher training and pass the CFT (IE; when you change from Trained Perfomance Standard [TPS] and become Operational Performance Standard [OPS]).

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry Greywing I meant to say that if you opted out during training then if you decided to rejoin then no payslip necessary, My AFCO told me the info, also its true re-joins need to complete phase 1 before considering leaving

cheers

Chaff

Reaction score
Just out of interest Ninja - can the AFCO look into a former recruit's record whilst he was in training?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just out of interest Ninja - can the AFCO look into a former recruit's record whilst he was in training?
When you leave the Corps during training a "wastage Return" is written by the Personnel Selection Officer (PSO)who interviews you when you leave & who in turn gets to read your training reports & the training staff recommendations. The wastage returns for all recruits during each 3 month period are then distributed to all AFCOs & a copy is retained in the individuals' former pre-entry documentation in case the individual re-applies.

After 3 years all pre-entry documentation at AFCOs is destroyed, however the RM branch manager retains the wastage returns & he's the guy that approves permission for an individual to rejoin.

The wastage return states when you joined, where you got to in training, why you left, whether the training team think your are suitable for further service and if so whether you are recommended for further service immediately, after a period of time has elapsed, whether you may join the armed forces but not the Marines or whether you are recommended to join any of the armed services.

The big thing to remember if you submitted notice (Premature Voluntary Release or PVR) when you leave first time, you no longer have that option second time around.

Chaff

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja.

I was just concerned because I left almost 5 years ago now after joining at 17. Naturally at that age I probably wasn't anywhere near as strong as a recruit that I would be now, so I was interested in how I may be perceived by an AFCO. I suppose given how much older I am now it shouldn't be a problem. Having said that I never had any warnings of any kind during training.

What sort of record would you have to have had in order to be not recommended for further service?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Ninja.

I was just concerned because I left almost 5 years ago now after joining at 17. Naturally at that age I probably wasn't anywhere near as strong as a recruit that I would be now, so I was interested in how I may be perceived by an AFCO. I suppose given how much older I am now it shouldn't be a problem. Having said that I never had any warnings of any kind during training.

What sort of record would you have to have had in order to be not recommended for further service?
Believe me, the record has to be quite bad for you not to be considered for re-entry after 5 years! (Even the rehabilitation of offenders act suggests a six month prison sentence is considered 'spent' after 7 years!).

Unless you were discharged unsuitable during training (DUDT) for disciplinary issues, Service No Longer Required (SNLR- RM categories only, not all Army categories) or medically discharged (NFA[Med]) then I wouldn't worry excessively about your then outlook, 5 years previously, which may at the time have been viewed as immature.

The AFCO will look at you afresh.

Good luck.

Chaff

Reaction score
It's encouraging to hear that!

Very much appreciated.

Chaff