Rugby or Football?

OSTV

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Evening lads.

so just out of cuirosity which sport out of the two are we most into? and which nation do you support?

personally as i have a season ticket for QPR it's got to be football for me and England is the nation i support

however rugby is just as intresting and if it wasn't my Football club playing i would watch the rugby, this may seem a bit weird but i more support Wales than England :redface:

Rhys

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've played both for years but as I got older I much preferred playing rugby. I gave up both nearly two years ago now because I was getting too many injuries! I love watching rugby, but I can't stand watching England play football.

OSTV

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I gave up watching England a long time ago haha, i've turned more into a Welshman:saythat:

C

C

Rugby, no question for me. Used to play football at a high level but once I took up rugby I got hooked, completely lost interest in football don't mind sitting down and watching a game or two but only if there's no rugby on.

Only problem with rugby is, as mentioned, injury, I'm stopping after this season to focus my efforts on RM and then hopefully I can play for a unit or the corps in the future.

S

stokey_14

I?d have to say football due to being a season ticket holder and going since I was a kid

Though as a sport I have to say rugby is better run and the players for the most part are true pros. I love the way the player respect the game/officials and act like men no ?poncey? little girls.

I also much preferred playing rugby in high school, wish I?d taken it up to be honest as I was built for it.

But yer football was always more accessible and I do love going to games.

Stokey

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby.

Mans game.

Yes, but so is football. It used to annoy me at school when lads that just played rugby used to purposefully boot you in the shins and think it acceptable! Then come out with 'you get a lot worse in rugby' just because they've seen a few professionals diving on the tv. (not a rant at you by the way!)

OSTV

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Take it your a Stoke city fan then hey stokey?

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
I was always brought up surrounded by Rugby - at school, local rugby clubs etc.. So I do have a soft spot for the game.

I can't stand football personally - my dad and brother watch it religiously, I've tried to get enthusiastic about it and I just can't.

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby! all the way. Half welsh half english but wales all the way! Miss playing it !

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Football stopped being good about 20-25 years ago. Players became vastly overpaid, disrespectful and promiscuous. How is that role model material?

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not to mention the diving. Diving has ruined the sport. Players no longer 'get stuck in' in fear of some douche like Ronaldo pulling off a dive and getting you carded.

hlauste

Reaction score
rugby any day of the week, cant stand football. watch the anthems in a england football match then watch them in an england rugby match, notice the amount of passion the rugby lads have compared to the footballers who half of them dont even know the words! plebs

S

stokey_14

Take it your a Stoke city fan then hey stokey?

Did the club crest under my user name give it away?:unsure: haha

In fairness it is the old town crest and not the one used currently for some bizarre reason...

Stokey

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I played football a lot up to about year 8, then didn't bother with it anymore due to, as others have said the footballers being overpaid, etc.
Rugby and otherhand wasn't a fan of it till about year 10 and I would say it is the better sport over football due it having that warrior type feel to it and I aim to get more involved with it.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I think to watch, Rugby is the better sport, hands down!
To play, they are both good but although I don't play rugby much at all, I prefer it, unless playing with absolute tanks, then it's just about running away.

Ren_Dundle10101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not that anyone has said it yet (they may have, I haven't bothered to re-read the whole thread) rugby fans should be careful what they wish for if they want their sport to be #1. You saw at the RWC what rubbish the media drum up with regards to the non-stories about Tualangi(sp?), Haskell, Tindall e.t.c., imagine if that was all year round

A lot of the issue with footballers being "out of touch" is the spin some newspapers put on things, or sometimes the interviews they completely make up! (See Nani with the Daily Mirror, Fabregas with Canal (French paper)).

In Jeff Stelling's "Jellyman's thrown a wobbly" book, he touches on this and recalls when he spoke to Paul Robinson who was reading over a few questions which were like "What club did you dreamt of playing for as a kid?" and he says "I was going to say Real Madrid, but if I do, tomorrow's back pages will say "Robinson: I'm quitting for Real Madrid"". It's just things like that. Twitter has in someways cut out the vile middleman (the reporters) and provides a link directly from the player to the fans (or haters, as it seems to be most of the time)

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Rugby where it is. Just simmering under the BS of the media.

Its the expectation of the England football team that gets me. In reality, as much as people hate to admit it, we really aren't that good. I used to get excited about England, I remember watching (going to sound old now!) Italia '90 and feeling very excited about the games and the squad we had.

However, fast forward 22 years, numerous failings and christ its gotten boring.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Football/ rugby General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 18
L Rugby or Football? Jollies Bar 22
C Football, Rugby or Rowing Jollies Bar 12