Running Advice?

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I was told at the AFCO that I'm going to have to be able to run 7 minute miles.

Right now, I can run a 9 minute mile outdoors. On a running machine, 1.5 miles in 10 minutes isn't so bad for me. For the 9 minute miles outdoors I might not be measuring the distance correctly, but that seems to be about my speed at the moment.

I vary my running exercises like this. Twice a week, I'll run for 45 minutes, the distance is about 5 miles. Twice a week I'll also bike for 45 minutes. I stay seated in the saddle at all times as I think this works the muscles a bit better, especially up slopes.

This week I tried to run a 7 minute mile. I was running almost flat out for 7 minutes and had to stop. Was totally burned out. I was about close to finishing the mile. Probably had about 1 minute left to go before I made it.

Now I'm pretty sure I was running faster than I do on a running machine, so my measuring might be off. I know it's harder to run outdoors though, so not sure. Also, it was damn windy today. Call me crazy but it feels like when it's really windy the run is twice as hard.

I have roughly 3 months to improve my running. My basic questions are:

Given my current ability (about 9 min outdoor miles) any advice on how I could boost it up in 3 months to 7 minutes? How often should I be running per week, for how long and what distance?

Mat

Reaction score
Boosting your running time is as simple as it sounds just about practice, you have to push yourself each time you run just a bit. I dont worry about distance at the moment since im focusing on getting myself back to full fitness after an injury so im just running for time, during the week ill do two or three 30 min runs at a reasonably fast pace, on the weekends ill run for 60 mins each day alternating from running to sprinting. Ive found sprinting as fast as I can on the last few mins of each session especially has increased my speed in a matter of weeks.

I would say try to run at least 3-4 times a week, but take into account other activities you do and factor in some rest days. I cant really speak for distance so a much better running than me will help you out there. But time wise id aim for two shorter runs and two longer ones in the week to give you a good balance. As you get used to running for the time you will become more efficient and be able to run for the same time but you should notice a gradual increase in pacing and since your still running for the same amount of time regardless if your going faster your CV should improve. Thats just my advice.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Have to say i agree with mats idea's completely i use a very similar training setup for running. Shuttle runs are a nice idea too for sprints and building stamina, also you will know how to pace your self for the shuttle runs when we have to do it in prmc.

Can get a free bleep test here http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/training-and-fitness/get-fit-to-apply.php

Just sign up for get fit to apply and go to the downloads section.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh I'm recovering from injury too but I'm hoping that half way through next week it's in a safe condition to book my PRMC.

I used to run at 8 or 9 minute miles when I started running, trust me the only thing you can do to improve is run! Like I say to everyone, don't take a watch for the first 2 weeks as knowing it takes 9 minutes has a psychological effect that will make you want to run to a 9 minute pace no matter how hard you try and think about something else!

So that's me advice really, don't take a watch for 2 weeks and run alternating routes preferably ones you don't know the distance of but you know the route without any problems. Running is 50% oxygen 50% brain, you need to breath and you need to ignore the pain, the rest comes in time.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Thanks guys will give those a go. I'm aiming for speed at the moment rather than distance, as I know I can cover 5 miles, I just need to speed up the time.