Running Distances

chrystal19

Reaction score
As you can see from below I can run different distances. I aim to run five times a week and I was wondering what people think are the best lengths to run?

At the moment I do Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat at 5/6/6/5/4

Should I do shorter? Chuck in a three miler? Thanks for any suggestions.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As you can see from below I can run different distances. I aim to run five times a week and I was wondering what people think are the best lengths to run?

Well its pretty good what *text deleted* doin just now *text deleted*. 5 times a week and that distance is pretty good. If i was you i wudnt change sinc you do a 4 miler anyway and thats not too much differnence than a 3 miler. Your running is lookin good though.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score

I'd personally chuck in a 3 miler somewhere and time it,
so you can make sure you'd pass it on prmc,
and then maybe once every 2 weeks have a hard 7/8 mile run.

Turfy123

Reaction score
What type of times are you getting on those runs?

I'd also chuck in a three miler and time it. Do you do any Fartlek or interval training or anything?

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was told by my AFCO that I should mix up my running distances.
One day see how fast I could run 1.5miles, then another day do 3 miles as fast as I could then on another day do a more lengthy run like 7 miles.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I was told by my AFCO that I should mix up my running distances.
One day see how fast I could run 1.5miles, then another day do 3 miles as fast as I could then on another day do a more lengthy run like 7 miles.

Yeah I here the idea is to not let your body get used to just doing a certain amount,
as in RT you'll be doing a lot of different things so you need to prepare yourself accordingly.

et-adams

Reaction score
To the thread starter, twisted thread starter.

Those distances are all ok, but they don't do a lot to expand your aerobic threshold/VO2 max. Drop a four and five miler, and in their place put in a 1.5 mile best effort and a 3mile best effort. In the long run, this will increase your endurance to severe stress on the cardio vascular front.

Have an extra day off somewhere, too. Maybe every 1.5 weeks. People don' t realise but if you're running those distances properly, ie, hard, the rest days will be as beneficial as the work.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
doing those distances is all well and good but it all depends what pace your doing them at, i focused mainly on fast 3/4 milers all the time before PJFT and PRMC. i would focus more on fast pace shorter runs and do maybe one 6 miler a week. also maybe do some hill sprints aswell. its all about aerobic fitness at prmc, long distance endurance isnt really benificial at that stage.

chrystal19

Reaction score
What type of times are you getting on those runs?

I'd also chuck in a three miler and time it. Do you do any Fartlek or interval training or anything?

All the times are in my signature. I do do interval training but I'm considering stopping as it is the most painful 20 minutes on earth for me. I could take it easier but I felt if I'm not pushing my hardest then it's probably just better to run normally.

What about 10 milers and stuff like that? Not necessary?

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i would say probably not, they will build up your endurance at RT i would focus more on the shorter runs, you will improve alot faster, and stick at the interval training, thats pretty much the best thing you can do to prepare for PRMC the bottom field and gym test 2 especialy.

chrystal19

Reaction score
To the thread starter, twisted thread starter.

Those distances are all ok, but they don't do a lot to expand your aerobic threshold/VO2 max. Drop a four and five miler, and in their place put in a 1.5 mile best effort and a 3mile best effort. In the long run, this will increase your endurance to severe stress on the cardio vascular front.

Have an extra day off somewhere, too. Maybe every 1.5 weeks. People don' t realise but if you're running those distances properly, ie, hard, the rest days will be as beneficial as the work.

So 3/6/4/5/6/PRMC 3 miler/rest

This way I have the runs that improve VO2 max as well as some longer ones?

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3 milers wont improve your VO2 max hardly as much as hill sprints and fartlek would.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Anyway I've decided on 2 interval sessions a week (I'll do them outdoors where I can tolerate it slightly better), 2 threshold runs (20 mins hard, 10 mins easy, 20 mins hard, 5 mins easy), and one long distance (10 mile plus). I'll do the same for swimming too.