Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Running help

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by bluenose1664, Apr 14, 2019.

1. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m training for a half marathon in October, hit 8 miles yesterday which I’m super happy with. Only issue is my pace, I’m running at 9:30min/mile which is fine for now as I’m months away and have time to work on it. Sounds silly and I’m sure someone will reply “run faster” but how do I go about pushing that time down to 8min/mile? Cheers

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Everyone knows how to run don't they? It's like walking but faster. :)
    But seriously, my suggestion is that you take a look at athletic/running clubs in your locality. You'll get some very helpful suggestions about how to improve performance. For example, a tiny but incremental increase in stride length can make a major impact on performance.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just moved to Peterborough from the mighty city of Birmingham so wouldn’t hurt to get out and make friends haha I’m sure there’s a running group that go out 3x a week on different routes so will look into that one

4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You still need to keep up the longer runs for general CV, but if you want to increase your speed you need to intersperse with short fast runs and interval training. @Chelonian is spot on, a trip to the local athletics will pay dividends as they will not only be able to tell you how to get faster but also, just as importantly, how to warm up and cool down to prevent injury.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lanclev

lanclev New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    An excellent app for improving my speed has been Nike run club on the app store. They have some cheesy but excellent guided runs for both long distance training all the way through to intervals and fartleks which have helped increase my speeds dramatically. Definitely worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Get the miles in your legs and your pace will increase. It’s as simple as that. As @dodgyknees says, put in a sprint/fartlek session each week and take at least one rest day a week and you will be fine.

As regards running clubs, have a look for a Parkrun club in your area. they cater for all abilities and run around 5k each week. The big problem with Peterborough is that it’s flat as a pancake around there, so you need to look for inclines of any sort to further improve your fitness.

Keep at it and you’ll be fine, but don’t forget the rest day!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  7. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou all for your replies it’s all been noted and I’ll be putting steps in place to make progress based on your advice. Wanted to join the marines for ages but it was always just a thought so now I’m actually working towards it and making Press up gains and running improvements it’s a brilliant and slightly addictive feeling *text deleted*