Running Help

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Okay guys,

Running really aint my strong point.... so *text deleted* have to really be working hard on it.

I would like to know what kind of pace i should be setting on the 1.5 milers and the 3 miler.... and also what pace you set on 4 milers and 6 milers if you do them.?

I read somewhere that some guys are doing 8 minute mile pace over 3 miles.... well i dunno if my gyms treadmills broke, but on the treadmill at my gym... thats blooming fast as he*text deleted*.

Also should the treadmill be set an an incline... i had mine set at 2% and to be honest i found it solid.?

I am really *text deleted* need to work hard on running, my strength and muscular endurance are ace because of judo.

How did you guys get so blooming good at running, or am i just shockingly bad?

Cheers

Rob

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly, GET OFF THE TREADMILL! Get out on the road/grass/hills/mud/what ever, if you want to improve your fitness.

Regarding treadmill pace for the PJFT, 15-18kph will get you between 8:30 - 9:30 for the 1.5 miler best effort (2% incline).

Only get on the treadmill when you want to practice specifically for the PJFT, but if you want to improve your running then get outside mate.

Luke

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Today because the roads where I live were icey, instead of risking running outdoors and slipping and getting injured I thought I'd go to my local gym and use the treadmill. The last time I used a treadmill was on my pjft and *text deleted**text deleted* me you could tell, Normally when running outdoors I can run 3 miles in under 20 minutes (19 minutes if I'm having a good day) and today I was struggling to knock out 1.5 miles in a decent time. I give up around the 2 mile mark at an awesome time of 15 minutes. My legs were wobbly as *text deleted**text deleted*, like bambi on ice.

Think I'll stick to running outdoors, I suggest you do the same mate. Treadmills are evil

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly what they said, stick to running outdoors. last time i ran on a treadmill i just about got through 1.5 miles, i think i stop because i can. but when running outside i do 2 miles away from my house and 2 miles back, the first mile a warm up. so i have no choice but to run back, i guess it's just what works for you, that works me for me pretty well.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Excellent, cheers guys

Yeah i was using the treadmill to try an attempt at the PJFT .... was a pathetic attempt really.

I shall stay out doors from now on.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
4 weeks to get ready for a PJFT ....is it achievable???

Guess i find out in 4 weeks

MR2_Dave

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't see a difference from running outside and on the treadmill, i run mainly on a treadmill all week and i do a rock solid 3mile run every 2 weeks over some forest terrain mega hilly etc !

And my fitness is fine, i can run 8:39 1.5milers outside, and 9:17 on treadmill which is about right ( treadmills take all year to get up to speed !

Tomdoubleu

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I felt the same way as you at one point mate. At the very start of running you think, whats the point everybody else on the forum is running amazing times. I just stuck at it for the past 2 months and now im starting to see decent improvments. I meet the minimum requirments now i just gota push some more, and obvoisly on the day im gona go 100% *text deleted* :rock:

themightyg-notyetbutsoon!

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
4 weeks to get ready for PJFT?

It depends on your current level of fitness i suppose.
whats your starting stats and out / in times?

I started off at 12min out and 14m 03 return and after 4 weeks have this at 12min out (i try and keep this a constant) and 11:03 in so ive still got a good minute, if not 2 or 3 to shave off before I attempt PJFT as Ninja has posted on here that the quality of candidate is so high now that scraping the minimum times/ reps may not get you through PRMC now.

im about a stone and a half overweight as well so if you are a decent weight no reason why you cant hammer on better than what ive managed.
I have no doubt im losing about a minute due to the flab.

I would also reccommend a good pair of running trainers to protect your shins and knees,

And run outdoors (as above), if there is anywhere with a good country type path then use that, soft but firm ground with slight inclines and gradiants.
Road running is fine as well, just beware of picking a route where you cant easily cross roads or may get held up by pedestrians as that all impacts on your time.

map my run is a great tool for measuring distance, or jump in your car and do it that way.

one of my major mistakes is when i was jogging previously to lose weight i used to run the same route as im doing now that im 'in training' and there was points where i would stop to catch a breath etc.
i find i still want to do that even though im not tired so it might be good to vary your running routes so you dont fall into bad habits.
im developing the 'state of mind' to push on through this now i feel so its maybe just me that does this?

one other factor, try and run somewhere there are hot chicks!
i dont know what it is but when im beat and about to collapse the sight of some milf or potential in the distance always fills my lungs with a good burst of energy to get past!

if i could run circuits round the playboy mansion id be 8m retuns every time!

steady09

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a PJFT in 4 weeks and don't like treadmills then i wouldn't waste your time running outside, running outside if obviously better but not if your improving on a treadmill, you want to get good running on a treadmill then just run on it.. practice a mock PJFT twice a week and run a longer 30 minute slower paced run on the treadmill, aswell as one run outside.. i think if you did that then you'd be okay in 4 weeks, your running quicker than a 7 minute mile pace for the 2nd 1.5 mile run!

running on roads i would say aim for 7 minute miles over 4-6 miles and a little quicker on a 3 miler, but don't worry if your not there yet although i'd say you want to be around that standard for PRMC, just keeping knocking your run times down and you'll get there though if doesn't take aslong as you may think if you stick at it!

MR2_Dave

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to jack your thread, but can someone explain to me how running outside is better than running on a treadmill, i've done both for a long time and i've found treadmill running has improved my fitness more than road running track running etc.

MR2_Dave

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting read still doesnt prove why road is better than treadmill *text deleted*. They havn't tested weather a 5% increase on V02 max from treadmill would equal a 5% increase on road, so basically it hasnt been proven *text deleted*.

Just that road running is slighter harder due to wind resistence and you use more oxygen or something.

Not much in it if you ask me, i can run better on road than treadmill but my weekly training is performed on the treadmill.

S

stokey_14

Interesting read still doesnt prove why road is better than treadmill *text deleted*. They havn't tested weather a 5% increase on V02 max from treadmill would equal a 5% increase on road, so basically it hasnt been proven *text deleted*.

Just that road running is slighter harder due to wind resistence and you use more oxygen or something.

Not much in it if you ask me, i can run better on road than treadmill but my weekly training is performed on the treadmill.

Heres part of a T-nation artical writen a while back...

Myth: Sweating on a treadmill is just as good as sweating outside.

Mythbuster: Alwyn Cosgrove

In the past people moved more and their exercise programs were well rounded, but recently more people have switched to doing treadmill-only workouts for their cardio. Whether they think it's better for their joints or because they're closet vampires who can't...stand...the light! and never want to venture outside, I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is that steady-state cardio on the treadmill is just *text deleted**text deleted*ing stupid. And, no, I'm not going to rehash the old argument about how intervals burn more calories. You already know that.

Instead I'm going to do some math.

Walking a mile is about two thousand reps in the sagittal plane at about one and a half to two times your bodyweight. Jogging would be around fifteen hundred total reps at about two to three times your bodyweight.

And since the treadmill switches your hamstring and glutes off ? your foot hits the belt and the belt pulls you through ? it's mainly a quad exercise.

So let's say a client does three miles three times per week for one year (and I'm being conservative).

That's 6000 reps x 3 days per week x 52 weeks, which equals 936,000 reps of knee extension work. Or 468,000 reps per leg.

Let's say the load going through with the knee was a measly 100 pounds. That's 4.6 million pounds of work for the quad with absolutely no hamstring work.

Think of it this way: if you did 400,000 reps of triceps extensions with 100 pounds you'd get four million pounds of volume. If you didn't balance that out with biceps curls you'd expect the elbow joint to hurt, right? You're damn straight it would!

So long term walking or running on the treadmill is almost guaranteeing knee pain. And that's not even the worst part. Since the hamstring is switched off you're actually burning even less calories than you would if you were to walk on the ground!

This study (http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=ae99e447ebf607a2f4220a1057ea77eb) showed that hip flexion angle increases on the treadmill as opposed to the ground and that stance time was reduced. Basically, the whole hip extensor mechanism is affected; hip and knee flexion angles have to increase to bring the hip through on the stride. So hip flexor fatigue plus substitution patterns equals severe knee pain.

Ten or twenty years ago we'd get away with this because our clients ran outside and did other activities. The contribution of treadmill time to total exercise time was much lower. It's hardly the case today.

One of the problems with low intensity steady-state aerobics for fat loss in the deconditioned population is the sheer amount of reps needed. I can do a bodyweight circuit and spread the "reps" over the whole body and get a similar metabolic effect.

At my gym we've always done interval training as we felt the results were superior, but over time we've moved to a "metabolic resistance training" model.

For example, one mile on the treadmill would be 1500 reps and burn around 100 calories. If you did a circuit of kettlebell swings, undulating ropes, inverted rows, sled pushes, and burpees for four rounds with 10 to 15 reps each, you'd burn 100 calories in less time with less load, and the reps would be spread over the entire body instead of on the ankles, knees, and hips. It's just a superior model.

Think that explains why treadmills fail in most aspects

Stokey

foggers

Reaction score
4 weeks to get ready for a PJFT ....is it achievable???

Guess i find out in 4 weeks
If you believe then you can achieve.
Seriously though it really is. I came home from my gap year and started an RMR application as soon as I got home. Did my PJFT a few weeks later and got 9.31 which I was absolutely chuffed about. Run on terrain which is tough, where you struggle to keep a 9 minute mile (as in HUUUUUUGE hills where you have to be as good as a mountain goat jumping over rocks and things). I found running on Dartmoor made running on a treadmill soooooooooo easy which is why I believe treadmills to be far easier.

At my recent application for a bursary the RM Captain said that on a treadmill you aren't really running and you could just jump it. He also said that he preferred if I got below 9 minutes on the PJFT which I was a bit surprised at.

So my advice is just keep running and don't give up. Even if you have a crap run, keep running and finish your route.

New Threads