Running in boots?

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Getting fit and training before PRMC wearing your OWN boots.

Well when i was told many many months ago, that whilst training to wear my own trainers. Only wear boots once you get issued them at Lympstone, am i correct?

biggnick

Reaction score
don't really understand what your question is. When you pass prmc you get issued some boots. You need to break these in before you start rt. We were told not to train in boots though as you can injure yourself.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I meant buy a pair of boots yourself and get fit running in them 'before your PRMC etc'

i got some dick on another forum, giving out wrong info to this guy who wants to join the marines. I'm just backing up what i said, getting some replies from you lads.

Gaz

Reaction score
Think that lad was wrong mate. Like biggnick said, you get some boots if you pass PRMC, so you can brake them in before RT.

Wouldn't train in boots for you PRMC, you might end up getting injured and that would be a nightmare!

By the looks of RT they build you up gradually with running in boots, so just stick to ya nice comfortable trainiers for now mate! *text deleted*

biggnick

Reaction score
I see. I didn't do any training in boots before prmc, it isn't really required. you only do the commando slide, assuault course and determination test in the boots anyway. If you think that you might get blisters then pad your feet out by wearing two pairs of socks or buy some blister tape. You could try wearing boots to get used to what it will be like, and you probably won't be able to run as fast in boots as with trainers, but i wouldn't train in boots before you go down. From what i gather, people nowadays aren't used to boots, and have soft feet as a result of wearing trainers. If you over do it before prmc, you could end up damaging your knees. best bet is to leave the running in boots until you get down there. hope this helps

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Re: Getting fit and training before PRMC wearing your OWN bo

JK said:
Well when i was told many many months ago, that whilst training to wear my own trainers. Only wear boots once you get issued them at Lympstone, am i correct?
You are. Spot on.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can you bring your OWN boots by chance ?. There is a good store here that sells high quality combat boots. My friends in the Canadian Forces buy them, and the army lets you use them. They are light, and give the best ankle support and have great sole comfort. Is this a possibility ?.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you can....but i would very much doubt you would ever touch them, let alone wear them

Gaz

Reaction score
Think once you have finished RT you can get your own kit, but until then, issue boots for all!

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeh man....ive got all mint gucci kit from when i was i the army....guttd i cany use it in rt...

never mind

Gaz

Reaction score
What sort of kit you got mate?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
buffalo jacket...two types of gortex pro boots boots...a watch that gives your grid reference and can get you any where.

decent underclothing to stop you getting cold...stuff that makes my life easier basically

oh decent dos bag (sleeping bag)

Gaz

Reaction score
Bet your gutted that you can use any of that. Mind you, the issue kit isn't that bad from what i've herd! We'll see...... *text deleted*

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They let some people were there own boots on my PRMC but they had to be a certan type, only two people bought them. An officer that had been to week twenty in the marines and a Para. Im guessing paras use same boots? Cz Cpl Mason had to check to see if they were okay

MTLloyd

Reaction score
Okay, so I've finally started to try and get into shape. Now at the minute I'm just running a bit in the gym (going to try a road run next week, hopefully).

However all I've heard from people recently is about my choice of footwear. See I didn't bring any trainers with me upto university, and unwilling to spend the money I've been running in my ten eyelet Doc Martens. Is there anything in particular wrong with this? I mean other than giving me a couple of spots of hard skin round my ankles they don't seem to have done me any harm and they fit my feet like a second skin. So basically, do you guys think I need to go and buy trainers, or can I stick with the DMs?

dovey1001rm

Reaction score
Buy some trainers mate. ive just been issued my boots for when i start RT to break them in. but they warned us not to go running in them ova wise your most likely to get *text deleted*, they must of said not to run in them about 3 times whilst i was down at my PRMC *text deleted*

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've done it before. Although in different circumstances. I woke up late on a hiking trip and had to run to our next camp which was 19 miles away with 20 kilo pack *text deleted*. Whilst occasionally stopping to check my compass and map to see if I was on track. Man that was a hard hike!

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
buy some proper running shoes, your feet are what carry you, if you dont invest in them you will get injured without a doubt, especially when you get out on the road. only need to sprnd £40-£50.