running in cold

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it harder to breathe while running in cold weather? I went out for a run this morning after about a month of rest due to injury and i was rubbish.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ye, the quality of my runs have seriously decreased since the cold weather kicked in, it's just getting used to it i think.

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if u was to train when its cold where the air is thinner? (not sure if thats true) is it better for u? if so we all better go for a run n the mornings
stewie

Reaction score
Cold air is more dense than warm air, but its only 1% per 3C, so its unlikely to make a noticeable difference.

I find I'm fine running in the cold, but I cough for ages when I go from the cold back into the warm after running.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I find it better in the cold, but same as above when i go back into the warm a cough after running.

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i just find it a bitch for motiation... i applied in the spring.. and had a summer of training.. this is my first winter... and lads its a bitch... tis a killer getting out of bed to go running in the pissing wet and cold!

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a scarf (or one of those things bikers use to keep em warm under their helmets), try pulling it up over your mouth and nose. It should stop the cold air from hitting your lungs so hard, and hopefully stop your chest from getting tight/wheezy.

Necki

Reaction score
If you have a scarf (or one of those things bikers use to keep em warm under their helmets), try pulling it up over your mouth and nose. It should stop the cold air from hitting your lungs so hard, and hopefully stop your chest from getting tight/wheezy.

Balaclava?

I agree though I find it a lot harder to run in the cold too.

Sounds like a good idea to wrap something around your neck/chest when running, will have to try it tomorrow.

pain is glory

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i cant believe know one likes running in the cold and wet and are applying for the marines, do you reckon they give you a camo style scarf or could you have any colour *text deleted*.

pain is glory.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I love running in the cold. Much more comfortable than running in heat in the summer months.

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I ran when it was snowing a couple of weeks ago, You feel like rocky lool got back home and i started to get chest pains i thought i was *text deleted* collapse but i didnt, it took me nearly a day to recover but i went out for another run the morning after lool...