running in the cold

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its been rather cold in merseyside for a while now , not freezing but cold if you know what i mean , my runnig was good and i could do about 5.6 miles in 37 minutes and 3 miles in about 20 minutes and i get faster every week but when ive been running in this weather my muscles go very tight and my legs are less flexable and today i had to stop after about 4.8 miles. I run in shorts and t-shirts so thats obviosly not going to make me any warmer but i do warm up and stretch for 15 minutes before i go running but when i run in the cold im just overall slower. Would running in a tracksuit help me and help me run as at the same speed i normaly run at ? or is there anything i can buy in jjb that will worm my body up or something *text deleted*? The reason im worried so much is *text deleted* theres a very good chance my prmc will be in the winter

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Get yourself some joggers and jumper....

I sometimes leave my house with a jumper, start running so i'm not cold, and then when i've fully warmed up and get too hot, i just pull the jumper off and ditch it in a bush and then go and get it back later haha.

Works for me :D

TommyK

Reaction score
I always run in trousers anyway it makes good practice for PRMC and RT - and obviously it's warm for when it's cold out

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sound thanks(y) so its quiet simple realy isnt it *text deleted* were a jumper , will do thanks again

C

critchmufc

the weather in good old merseyside has been like brazil for ages now, ive got a brilliant tan now from all the rays

all it is everyday is sun...sun...sun

its not cold at all.....

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a pair of DPM trousers they run in?
As I run in either shorts or joggers,
and I was wondering if it would make much of a difference if I got used to running in trousers like you will at PRMC and RT?

Joe

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've never ran in shorts, never. Though I have decent circulation so never a problem with running in the cold. Though a warm up and stretch before you start is a must. If it is feeling tight and difficult then you need to warm up and stretch. Do a pulse raiser, like jogging on the spot for a bit, some star jumps, then stretch your leg muscles.

Usually I can go out freezing then end up sweating my balls off. Though I like to run on a winter morning, when you get that sort of cold fresh air, feels good in the lungs.

Edit: Oh yeah, there is something you can use called deep heat that athletes use to warm up and keep warm. You just apply it to the muscles and you can really feel it warm up, my brother used it when he had football matches on winter nights in shorts and t shirt. Be very careful how much you apply. Put on too much and you can get proper burning sensations and it won't go away even with a bath!

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the weather in good old merseyside has been like brazil for ages now, ive got a brilliant tan now from all the rays

all it is everyday is sun...sun...sun

its not cold at all.....

its not sun sun sun everyday atall *text deleted* i havent seen the sun in a while now. where about in merseyside are you from?

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I run with a thick jumper on with a deep hood. Rocky style, joke haha. i use it to keep the heat in i performe alot better that way.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Living in Canada, I know about running in shin high snow and worse. Always bundle up when you can. A sudden change of cold can shock the body in a very negative way.

Never bear the skin in cold weather as well. As you run, the body will still sweat. The cold air will freeze the sweat to your skin causing hypothermia without you even knowing it. Sudden dizziness, headache, or nausea are symptoms. In severely cold weather use a scarf around your mouth, but keeping the scarf about an inch or 2 from your mouth. This helps to moisten and warm the air in the small pocket of the scarf, as sucking in cold air can freeze the lungs, and cause illnesses such as pneumonia.

C

critchmufc

its not sun sun sun everyday atall *text deleted* i havent seen the sun in a while now. where about in merseyside are you from?

sarcasm doensnt work very well on the internet does it...

st.helens, you?

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone got a pair of DPM trousers they run in?
As I run in either shorts or joggers,
and I was wondering if it would make much of a difference if I got used to running in trousers like you will at PRMC and RT?

Joe

no point mate the 95's are light as *text deleted*

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why don't you just run faster? That will heat you up. :smile:

Taggart91

Reaction score
On your PRMC you will be wearing your combat rousers while you do your 3 miler