Running..please everyone read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewebb

Reaction score
hey
i just wanted to hear everyones opinions and stories about basically their running training..how long it took you to progress what your times are like now how bad you were at the start etc *text deleted* what you found as good motivation?
im just turning 17 but wont b joining until about 19 for reasons you can read on my profile page.
ive just started training and having never been a fit person i knew i would have to start early to catch up.
im running 4 miles 3 times a week but have only been doing it for about a month.
at the start my time was like 47 mintues for 4 miles ( terrible i know) but ive managed to cut it down to 34. the first mile and a half is all a steep hill and this is where i struggle and lose a lot of time.
ive been browsing about and seen sum ppl posting their times for 4 and 8 miles etc and sum have just shocked me like running 4 miles in 23 minutes and running 8 miles in 47.
this to me seems like an impossible sort of fitness to achieve for prep before joining..although i have nearly 2 eyars before joining and i know i will improve a lot before then

still id like to hear what your sort of fitness is like how you improved and things and how you motivated yourself.

sorry for such a long comment i hope you read it all and i can get sum feedback..any comments will do

thanx :)

ps. my msn is mikewebb101@hotmail.co.uk if anyone would like to chat further about their physical prep or anything really..we all have the same end goal support from others is always nice *text deleted*

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello mate ive added you and im on msn quite a bit so hopefully ill chat to you soon

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to improve your running I'd suggest an overall fitness program. Keep doing the running as much as possible, but mix in some weight training for upper body strength and see if your local sports centres do circuit training classes. It adds variety and stops you getting bored.

I found circuits the best way to improve my fitness when I started out and once you're happy with your fitness it's a great way to push yourself and keep progressing.

As for running just keep it up and gradually increase your distances.

The one thing I've found kept me going is my motivation. You need to want this more than anything else in your life. Read books and find out as much information about the RM as you can. The more you know about it then the more you'll be determined to succeed so you can be a part of that lifestyle. You might be *text deleted* at running or press-ups but the more you're motivated to pass the more likely you'll find that extra bit of energy to sprint longer or find an extra 10 push-ups you never thought you were capable of.

mikewebb

Reaction score
thnx for the advice *text deleted*
ye i do need to vary my workouts i think
my weekly plan is basically boxing 3 nights a week and runnin 3 nights a week..after the new year now i'll be back at the gym sumwer i aint rely been in a while *text deleted*
as for motivation i am totally motivated to do the phys and dedicated to joining its all ive ever wanted to do.
im doing the public services course i my college and the military prep course afterwards so my life up until i join is planned around joining and preparing for it. the book thing is a good idea i know what you mean anyone thinking bout joining should do a lot of research before hand. i just finished commando by chris terrill if anyone saw the programme you should really read the book its even better. anyone read the making of a commando by nigel foster any good??
anyway soz bit off topic.
when im actually running i supose the short term motivation and goal is to beat my own time as im sure all of you strive to do, you know the feeling when you feel you just cant carry on but when you finished and uv shaved minutes even seconds off your time and you know your progressing thats a good feeling.

anyway..running without music or with??

i know many ppl who run with it as it motivates..but without it you can work your breathing properly..opinions??

keep commenting guys and plz feel free to add my msn at the top of the page.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Mike, as long as you can complete the 3 mile run comfortably on PRMC, I wouldn't get too overwrought about other peoples' claimed times.

You need to be able to complete the first 1.5 miles in under 12 mins 30 secs & the run back in under 10 mins 30 secs. You should aim to complete the run back as fast as possible and 10 minutes or less is a fairly decent time.

Bearing in mind on PRMC, after your 3 mile run, you will do Gym Test 1, which commences with the VO2 Max (Bleep Test) and ends with a 40 metre swim. You need to layer your exercises for at least the 4 weeks preceding PRMC. Most that gain a comfortable pass on the 3 mile run state they completed 5 mile runs, 3 times per week in the 4 weeks leading up to PRMC.

Some will tell you that you only need to train to 3 miles, but if you do, make sure you have the spare capacity to complete Gym Test One & the Swim that same morning. Beware the folly of completing the bare minimum to pass PRMC, if the weather is bad, you're feeling unwell or pick up a slight injury/cramp/stitch there is a very real danger of not having the spare capacity to pass overall.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats Very True Ninja Quite alot of guys on our PRMC said they "HAD" to quit because there leg cramped up so bad etc, i asked what fitness they were doing and they were the ones that didnt run more than 3 miles once or twice a week. You might want to bear in mind that the fitter you are the less likely prone to injury or cramp etc good luck guys

Nicholas

Reaction score
Number 1 thing to remember is: Ignore everyone else and focus on yourself

Yes it can be demoralising when people can do 3miles in 20 odd minutes, but it ain't going to help you. so ignore them (post the occassional well done to be social if you choose :wink: )

Providing you manage to keep some regular (& effective) training schedule for the next 2 years, theres no reason you cant pass it, unless your one of them 99.9%

dont forget to neglect upper body strength (like me) even if it means buying some cheap weights from argos and using once in a while (unlike mine which are currently used as a door stop :eek:ops: )

Also dont forget KNOWLEDGE is POWER: so educate yourself on the latest training techniques, what will happen at the prmc and training etc

If all else fails....become a teacher :P

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
exactly what nick said there. Theres people who post ridiculous scores and it knocks your confidence. When I first started I was doing 3 mile in half an hour. Now can i do it in 21.37 which I think is good considering its 3 mile on the dot and its quite a gradient run. Plus I'll do better on the date.

By the way I dont want this message to cause any offense to the guys who really do get good times because I know some of you can but I just dont believe that the majority of the people on this site can all do 3 mile in 18 mins and do like 80 press ups. It knocks peoples confidence and your only cheating youself.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, don't embellish about your abilities, this isn't Myspace!

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rob said:
exactly what nick said there. Theres people who post ridiculous scores and it knocks your confidence. When I first started I was doing 3 mile in half an hour. Now can i do it in 21.37 which I think is good considering its 3 mile on the dot and its quite a gradient run. Plus I'll do better on the date.

By the way I dont want this message to cause any offense to the guys who really do get good times because I know some of you can but I just dont believe that the majority of the people on this site can all do 3 mile in 18 mins and do like 80 press ups. It knocks peoples confidence and your only cheating youself.

Its not there fault there good? But what is the point in been good at something if only yourself can aprishiate it. If someone comes on and posts some good times stop wailing about it and do what i do n that is use it as *text deleted*in fule and maybe just maybe aspire to beat that.
A quote you will find gets used alot in the RM is "It pays to be a winner" so if you have the sad on that people are getting better than you and it "knocks your confidance" you will not go far in the RM as and i dont care if this nocks your confidance, There will always be someone better than you and the best person will always have someone better than them.
So chuffin deal with it PLEASE

I will also add in the RM there is no such thing as a "good or bad pass" a Pass is a Pass for example if you are to do a 1.5miler in 10:30 and you come in at a 10:29.59miliseconds you have still passed just like the guy that came in at 7:00. As long as you can do to the required set criteria and no less then you will do well.

greenlid

Reaction score
lord_carl said:
Rob said:

Its not there fault there good? But what is the point in been good at something if only yourself can aprishiate it. If someone comes on and posts some good times stop wailing about it and do what i do n that is use it as *text deleted*in fule and maybe just maybe aspire to beat that.
A quote you will find gets used alot in the RM is "It pays to be a winner" so if you have the sad on that people are getting better than you and it "knocks your confidance" you will not go far in the RM as and i dont care if this nocks your confidance, There will always be someone better than you and the best person will always have someone better than them.
So chuffin deal with it PLEASE

I will also add in the RM there is no such thing as a "good or bad pass" a Pass is a Pass for example if you are to do a 1.5miler in 10:30 and you come in at a 10:29.59miliseconds you have still passed just like the guy that came in at 7:00. As long as you can do to the required set criteria and no less then you will do well.

Well said LC! Rob, I think actions speak loader then words, so just take peoples training advice (if you wish) and crack on with it. I find that hearing other peoples times (whether truthful or not :wink: ) pushes me to beat that. Be true to yourself, dig deep and crack on with the training.

IT'S ONLY PAIN :!: :!: :!:

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As I said Lord carl I dont want to offend anyone who really CAN get those times.

You think just because youve been there three weeks you know it all? :*text deleted*:

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i find it barmy that some one can do a 1.5 mile run in under 9 mins...i just cant no matter how hard ive trained..some people are built for it!!

i just seem to be some one who can maintain a good pace on my runs...but still there are people that can still thrash me.

my afco said to me i need to be able to complete all my runs at 7 min mile pace...so thats what i did....but dont mean thats right either!!

ive been training since july...and still cant get 60 press ups...god knows ive tried!! ive done endurance training and strength traning and still cant get that magic 60.

some people are built different!!

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed Alan. Also remember everyone has good days and bad days. Some days I can run 2 miles and feel exhausted, when just a few days before I breezed through 4 miles at a great time.

My older brother was MADE for running. Guy is like a gazelle, run 5 minute miles. I know I can't keep up to him, but as long as I have the endurance to finish the same distance in a decent timed fashion, Im happy with that. Besides, I can bench press 3 times his weight ;-).

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rob said:
As I said Lord carl I dont want to offend anyone who really CAN get those times.

You think just because youve been there three weeks you know it all? :*text deleted*:

and when you get there you will realise that you can learn alot in just 3 weeks

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Inever said you couldnt theres just no need for the attitude. You should have read my post more carefully before having a go. If you were offended by it then you must be on of the guys who lie about there times, no?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
OK Guys simmer down a little, we are all on the same side here.

I think if everyone reads what everyone put and not what they think they put, then you'll probably all see that everyone is still in agreement and as you are really agreeing with what each other is saying, the only way this thread is going to go, is down hill and descend to a personal level. We don't lock threads on here and don't intend to start now, but if guys are going to have some sort of personal argument, then please take it to the PM facility.

Yes guys do bull about what they can achieve, but they will get found out and that is what the PRMC is for. I have seen it many times and it's not that they are always lying, sometimes they do genuinely believe it. Just like they do when they go on the X Factor. I bet Ninja see's it on a weekly basis the people who claim they can do X in X amount of time. I bet the RAF get people who claim they can fly planes, at the end of the day they get found out, and now they get found out on the RMAD as well as the PRMC.

O.K, best thing we can do is start a thread over in the Jollies section and we'll stick an anonymous poll in there about, Do people have faith in the times, guys stick on their stats?

http://www.prmc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1129

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was only giving advice he took offence to it :twisted: :twisted: *Sticks tongue out*

Status
Not open for further replies.