Running Programs

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Right tomorrow i am going to start my running training for the Royal Marines. Got myself some proper shoes calculated some routes etc and i'm now pretty much set to start running. Since i've ran like twice in my life i realise i won't be anywhere near the levels you guys are at. So could you kind souls please describe to me a good way to get the levels you guys are at in the year timeframe i am giving myself to do it in. Plus while am at it is it realistic to go from never running at all to running 1.5 mile in about 8.5 minutes in about a year? Thanks guys.

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anything is possible mate..

Realistically 8.5 minutes is possible, no problem in a year as long as you train hard.
You need to set yourself a programme, for example running 4 times a week and stick to it no matter how sh*tty you feel. I am a great believer that people can actually do alot more than they think they can, alot of it is psycological. As long as you push yourself as hard as physically and mentally possible.

Jim

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Thanks for that Jim i'll bear that in mind when i wake up in the morning feeling like sh*t.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just take it easy to start with mate and make double sure you're warmed up properly and warm down after. It will probably be a few weeks before you start to find it comfortable etc so dont overdo it too early on. you've got loads and loads of time. You should definitely be able to get the time you're after within a year dude. Swimming should help with the breathing a bit too mate and good for loosening and strengthening the muscles so incorporate that.

To keep from getting bored out of your nut try and get in some fields or woodland mate. Got any pals that will run with you?? that will help (especially a couple of months down the line when you're starting to push yourself more)

Maybe to start with just run three times a week for a few weeks for say 15 mins at a slow pace upping to 20/25mins by the end of those few weeks. If at the end of the run your not in pain but your legs feel tired, are breathing heavy and you're hearts going like the clappers then thats done some good mate.

IT WILL TAKE TIME. I passed my PRMC last week and sometimes still struggle through a half hour run.

Oh yeah, start eating properly too (if not already)

FromtheGlos

Reaction score
30 -45 mins of 60- 75% max speed three times a week

Do some sprints around the football/ rugby pitches, 100% max speed. Start of doing 4 with 1 mins rest then build upto 8 or 10 twice a week

easy

haha

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Thanks for response Brucey hopefully i'll get to the level where i can pass my PRMC in a year.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
fromtheglos' program is good, but build up to that

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate, I hadn't ran more than 400 meters untill the start of this year and I really really hated running. I got down to a 8 minute mile pace in 2 months and down to 7.30 in 3 months. Not to mention at the beginning I dehydrated in the first 5 minutes and could barely breath when I'd finnished. Now I stay hydrated and breath like you are now sitting at your computer.

I can run 1.5 miles now in 7.39 after 3 1/2 months.

Aim higher and you'll acheive higher, 1 year is okay but I started running this year and already I can run that. If you can't do it with your eyes closed in 12 months then you're doing something seriously seriously wrong.